[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Question about a scope

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about a scope
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:35 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Bear with me please....I went to a gun show today and saw an old scope I was curious about....it was tagged as a WWll German. There was no finish, don't know if there was at one time or not, looked to be brass, one turret, no cover, had a screw sticking out of that, claw mounts. Of course I can't remember much else. There was a name of something on the side up by the turret....it started with a W....something like Wedigar (of course I thought I could remember it) the glass was very clear and it was a thick post and duplex (I think that's what they call it) I don't recall anything else. I've been trying to find it on the internet but can't due to my lack of info. Does any of this ring a bell to anyone???

Post subject: Re: Question about a scope
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:30 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

wish i could help but i can only come up with weaver because im not a lot into older scopes , sounds like you had an interesting time

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:53 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Thanks.....yeah always fun just looking around...I may go back today and take another look.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:32 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

Was it a Hensoldt Wetzlar scope.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:47 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I went back yesterday.....I was so tempted but he had it marked at 500.00!!! Then he said he'd had it too long and would go 250.00....walked away, but darn it was cool!!! Needless to say my memory did suck, it was a Rudiger-Hildesheim. Can you tell me anything about those?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:01 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Some were used on K-98 sniper rifles during WW II.

As far as collector interest goes, some type of provenance of military use would be required to justify the pricing- there were some sold as sporter scopes, and the distinction can get sort of murky.

Elevation adjustment was in the rear claw mount, and the windage was in the single turret on top of the tube.

By the sound of it, the dealer had no provenance for this scope at all, and the 250 final asking price would be about right for a scope with no documentation...

Old rifle scopes are cool, yes. It is easy to get taken though. Google is your friend in this respect...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:03 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Thanks Doc! I was rather proud of myself for walking away....it was pretty cool though.
I'm so thankful to all you on this site for your knowledge on all this stuff.....still amazes me and means so much to a peon like me :bigrin:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:43 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:52 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I've got 4 El Paso Weavers....2 KVs- one a dot w/very fine crosshairs, the other- post and crosshairs. A K4 w/post and crosshairs and since I let that other one sit at the gun show...I picked up a J 2.5 for my Weatherby MK XXll

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:11 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

That's a cool, and not often seen Weatherby, with the tube magazine. Those J series scopes were built to take recoil, too.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail