Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Life below zero.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:09 pm 
Major
Major

The coldest I ever experienced was -2°
You are one tough hombre.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:00 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

got -20 in nasville for 2 days, AND 15" or so of snow...they shut it down, but then it warmed up and snowplows did their job and back to working......... :kap:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:07 am 
Captain
Captain

Hey, Rad and company, Im glad to say we just finished up the last 6 of 16 episodes for this season :D

'Life Below Zero; The Thaw', and , as well, were pounding out plans for season 2, I'll let ya know when its a seal'd deal :D

Hope yer all likeing this stuff, it took some time to get this far, but man, were blazin'!!

Regards!

Chip

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:57 am 
The Knife
The Knife

We are enjoying the show.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:15 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

last fall we got 50s in nashville - hoping for better this year , heading south on oct 1 and prayin for 70s , sporting clays in a coat was what i expected in minnesota , not nashville

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:29 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Here is an update I copied from Gunboards with Chips ok.

Shuks ...I cannot come up with any Youtube stuffs either.....

So, just for the viewing audience weve got episodes 11-16 commin at ya soon, ya, fresh stuff "AND" Season 2, if we can :D Ya, that filming starts soon enough :D

I wanna throw in here that most Alaskan Natives dont get "checks" from the land manageing corps that oversee thier lands and what comes from them. The few folks of the Northslope get royalties for the SURFACE rights that oil companys pay to access the fuel underneath. At statehood, Alaskan Natives formed to "Corperations, and became "Shareholders" in the Capitalist way of doing things. The corps managae the lands they sued for the return of in 1971 (Native americans couldnt vote, run for office or own property before 1924 and the feds claimed it all, State hood brough tthe lands to court, and they only won back 10% of them. The current nonprofit associations formed for Health care PAID FOR their Health Care system, clinics here and in the hubs, with a real Hospital in Bethal AK and one in Anchorage. The payment was made by secceeding lands to the Feds, as well as further claims were quit.
The folks here own the lands "in common" so there are no fences or "no tresspassing " signs, and Hunting contenues. As well, Hunting in the Fed lands is quite doable, compared to the lower 48.
I might add too, that inthe Northwest Arctic Borough the Northern Alaskan Native Association, formed to manage the returned lands owns a lead Zink Mine that pays 94% of the boroughs tax base, building our schools and infrastructure.
Alaskan Natives are widely varied, just like Europe, and saying "Native" is akin to saying "european", and Polish folks are not Italians and so forth.
They dont get "Checks" from the gov, as they were not defeated in Combat nor did the sign treaties or get placed on reservations/prisoner of war camps, nor did they go with the feds BIA's idea of "care".

Also, when it comes to Fish and Game, Native Alaskans have to obay the same laws and limits as EVERY Alaskan, with the ONLY exception of hunting Federally managed migratory Sea Mammels. There are no "special rights" or out of season hunting , either, its the same same for everyone.

However, in the one "laws" part, where Alaskan Natives, who reside on the coast, may take Marine Mammles for food and materials to be significantly altered into a customary/Tradional form of them, may then, after alteration , sell the craft , such as carved Ivory, carved bones ect, from Marine mammels. The laws allowing them to contenue to do the day after the law passed as they had the day before is pretty significant, when you actually see that folks eat and craft from their catch.
Stopping Marine Mammles from being hunted into extinction was/is pretty important. I disagree on that , as one who resides near the coast and one who dont mind eating such (I'll eat near anything) that I should too be allowed to hunt Marine Mammles for Subsistence.
No one consitterd that I guess, but Native Folks here were standing up and saying "Hey!" when they International ban was being negotiated.
I see it as an earned privlage. Several other countrys still have Subsistence Hunting, based on old seaside cultures that would be economicly and culturaly devastated, when the resource could still maintain a good ammount of number when Subsistence Hunting is allowed......maybe the world populations of Marine mammles will expand enough someday to be Hunted commercialy, so booking Walrus Hunts out of "Outdoor Life" is possible again .
I think I related it best when I equated it to someone who lost thier "privlage" to drive because they have a DUI dosent make those who can still drive have a "Special Privlage". In 1971, Commercial Hunting was banned, but subsistence Hunting (for food and materials) contenues to this day.
I think of the good things; I can trade for such, legally, I just cant shoot it, and sometimes I have a front row seat, when the action is hot .

our gas is 8$ a gallon, and we get most of our foods from our hunting and gathering. We own our home and our ligt bill, water/sewer and internet/phone is less than 600$ a month. Gasoline and parts eats up any spare $$, and we spend on such that we may gather the foods, wood for heat and materials to make th e$$ with.

The State dosent give lands to anyone and they dont pay for houses to be built. If that happens, its a Native corp is paying out to have houses insulated and brough up to code, employing local labor and getting Elders houses fit for Winter.
The rest , well we all have to do for ourselfs, theres no Freebies, 'cept tha Alaska Permanent Fund dividend, where EACH and EVERY Alaskan, regardless of race, gets a profit share formour very well run State Gov and its oil revenues.

And Finally, and this isnt new or untold, Ive said it plenty, it was in alotta Alaskannews papers, because people are freeked out that the AST keeps these criminals employed with the public, even in the face of hard eveidence.
I was asked why I don't shoot on the show, and Ive explained before, and here, As to no firearms, Im suprized you don't already know, but the jist is that two years ago an Alaska State Trooper assaulted my oldest daughter, a child at the time. Well, the Trooper she was talking to stopped the assault and restrained the other trooper, then placed him a distance away from us and took the girl to a different place and finished the interview. He taunted us by takeing a draw stance and fondling his gun, it got very freeky, but others were there and more were arriveing so he quit that, but I was sure, as were others, that we were gonna get shot.
I was , at the time the vice Fire Chief here in Noorvik, and with Red Cross, The S&R and on a Disaster planning commition with our borough, and a trail assistance rider (-40 Towtruck/EMT kinda stuff)the law says I have to report any assault on any child, and I would have anyway.
Soooooooooooo , Anyway, it didn't get any better, as a couple days later I saw the Trooper who ,because he could arrive at any time and my daughter was going to be traveling (we often see troopers at the airport) and because it was obvious that nothing had been done for that, I got a restraining order for her safety, and the state went NUTZ on me.
Its all a matter of Public Record.

they tried to give me a 25,170$ bill for their flawed investigation, but the judge blocked that, then we went to court where I lost to an alterd/fabricated tape,the ONLY evidence, besides trooper lies, to be used against me.
So I was found guilt of Felony purgery/False reporting and made a felon,last July............... so I had the tapes analized by two independent companys, Sandcastle recordings and Britesolutions audio forensics, and both show the AST tapes are a total farce. Funny thing is I found that My Public Defender (all I could afford at the time) had a anallissis done and he knew the whole toime the tape was fake, and when we played the most obvious cuts to th ejury 4 TIMES!!! he never denounced it as "inadmissable" as a"FELONY" and so forth. Ive never been on trial before and was astoiunded when he rested his case and didnt throw it out as promised.
To my PD's Horror, I presented these findings at my sentanceing, where I recived 7 years and 3 month in total, 3 years X's 2 suspended, + 15 months to serve, last November. The PD stopped talking to me, right there.......looked pretty shook up , too...

http://www.thearcticsounder.com/arti...d_seeks_appeal

The article mentions one 11 second gap, but there were 14 separate gaps we know of. Gaps are impossible on digital recorders, the simply give an On Time and an Off time, and both officers had several on off times on their recorders that day, so They attempted to cover the assault and were successful so far. The assaulting officers tape was made from the rearranged tape of the officer who stopped the assault.Whats funny is that the AST and all of us who testifyed that an altercation had, indeed happend, yet it was REMOVED from the tape!!.......idiots.... :D

Try as they might, and they certainly gave it their best, but they didn't fool everyone.

Sooooooooooooooo after the sentancing I walked out of the court, went home, no bail, no jail , the judge allow'd me free until retrial, which isn't gonna happen , because the only evidence is fake, and proven so.
The Judge and most every Alaska State Trooper in Kotzebue Post, and the Special Prosacuter brought in by the state,The Alaska Burough of Investigation Trooper also has complete knowlage of the felonius cuts, he heard them too, all who attended the sentencing all know about the evidence tampering, I said and showed it loud and clear. They say that Evil triumphs when good me do nothing, well I didn't see any good men, just a Judge who was mislead and a crew of Felons under the wing of their Obersturmbanfuer and those who aid/cover their crimes..........but I would not recant, I would not admit guilt where I had done no wrong.
I was never arrested, never read any rights, only summoned to Court, never spent a day in jail due to this, its simply "Life in Limbo" as to firearms, so I have been trapping, Fishing and using a bow and lance on Caribou, as you have all seen, and still do all but carry the rifle or shoot. Ive been driving the boat anyways, its teamwork, and driving on waterways or across frozen tundra requires someone, and its a joy having a front row seat with Agnes shooting, as it was when our boys were teens and doing such.

Archery and using a Lance with trapping has been the way I maintain. You might have noticed that ALL my references to guns is in past tense....but I do look forward, as Time marches on.....

A couple things are looking quite positive;
So many people in Noorvik saw what happened that day, as well as much of my family, and they all stick smiling by my side for support, as well I get GREAT community support; Money, leagal help,and people offering other assistance has been wonderfull,unending and it gives me resolve....and the community of Kotzebue because the SAME two Troopers were involved in a mans death in Kotz, well, those folks down there have been terrific for the most part, because they see it and that Im not to be bowed down, like, unfortuunaltly the threats and beatings here usually do keep the victems quiet.. I am councled by friends and starngers on this event when Im out nuch more than I am about the show. I also have a 26 year, top notch ,well funded Federal Criminal Defense Lawyer working on this now, and he's gonna get paid when I get paid, and he wasnt easy to find as well,(nobody wants a case so far North) so as slowly as the grinder of Justice turns, soon to crush the lies and criminals who perpetuated them...... my redemption draws near.

Even if I cannot go and hold a gun, today, I can read about them, and that is enough for me at the moment....... the "dream collection" will be mine, as soon as this $ettle$, as well, the ones the wife has will move outtaher bro's safe and back where they belong.......

If I EVER , in my life know one thing is CERTAIN, besides tax's, and Death its telling the Truth , regardless of consequence. The truth will see you through it all. The truth is ever present, its lies that need fabricating, as well, the truth dosent change, and the Truth sells like no other........

The Truth WILL set you Free................... Here I am !!

Last edited by Caribou; Yesterday at 08:00 AM.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:22 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

good god!!!!

what a problem with the bad LEO's up there!!!!!!!!...........it happens, I have heard stories as such everywhere~ until a bad LEO is found out and dismissed or in the can...they believe they can do anything. puts a bad name to those that DO their jobs to protect and serve!

I sure hope he wins out.......and the piece of work responsible gets some time in a jail in the lower 48...in general population :twisted:

whipping up on a kid....AND a girl~ what a man....... :twisted:

hang in there buddy!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:37 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Just caught it for the first time on Nat Geo tonight. Appears to be season 2 already, with Agnes H. handling the shooting duties. Heckuva long distance shot on that Caribou, Agnes! Congrats are in order. Nice to see cooler heads prevail with the wait after the animal is down...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:00 am 
Captain
Captain

If the cops dont ramp it up with further crimes against me, Ill be fine avoiding people like plauge, and all the drama in the world wont get me down :D

Im glad the new shows are on, I want to see them bad. We have 6 on this season one "Extention", yes, still season one, suprized me too.......... but we have film in the can for start on season 2, so it will come along someday :D

Often, when weve shot a Caribou, either spined or lung'd, we dont persue them,but give them a minute to "fall asleep' at least bleed out and not run off terrifyed. Often , animals dong know they have been shot, they just lay down and die, and we can pretty much tell is thats the case. We also can see "hits' as blood onthe snow is unmistakeable.

Glad ya like it.....

Now to lurk about ~~ LOL! ~~