[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - ....would love to go.....

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ....would love to go.....
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:24 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

http://vetmarch.com/

Post subject: Re: ....would love to go.....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:31 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

So would I.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:44 pm 
International Man of Mystery
International Man of Mystery

Same here.
I attend the Dutch Veterans Day every year.
I consider it an honor spending the day with WWII, Dutch East Indies, Korea, Lebanon, Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan vets.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:35 am 
The Butcher
The Butcher

It's weird.
In europe when you mention veterans people imagine grizzled old men wearing faded berets and dragging a flag around.
The average US veteran is a long-haired hippy trapper living in a cabin in the Rockies.
People tend to forget there have been wars since then where "our guys" have been fighting and in some (too many) cases dying.
People can't just picture somebody who served in the yugo, the Stan, Iraq in the same category as the WWII and Vietnam vets.
No offense ment to SEA or WWII veterans, none whatsoever, it's just something that strikes me and I'd like to hear your thoughts about that.
BRGDS, A

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:13 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I'm not too far from Colo. but I'm not a hippy. ;) :rotflma: :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:50 am 

But yeah - I'm the same way. I think of vets, I think of guys like this who really had it tough.

Try to look past the uniforms and consider only their faces. Pain is pain no matter the language. These vets could be anybody from any country - I just happened to easily find Russian pics. SW

Vet2.jpg
Vet2.jpg [ 58.77 KiB | Viewed 3911 times ]

Vet1.jpg
Vet1.jpg [ 62.6 KiB | Viewed 3911 times ]

vet3.jpg
vet3.jpg [ 47.15 KiB | Viewed 3911 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:46 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:02 am 
Corporal
Corporal

If someone wants to donate a cabin, I'd love to go grow a beard and live in the mountains. Can't say I'd be a very good hippie!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:38 am 
The Knife
The Knife

You don't have to be a hippy to live in a cabin in the mountains. Besides the beard helps keep your face warm in the winter.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:17 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Speaking of which, the t.v show mountain men is my favorite. I've picked up a lot of good stuff from that show. Like how to build a cabin. Can't believe Marty did that all on his own (the first cabin).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:47 pm 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

The Million Man March was a bit too far off for me to attend. However, I'm looking forward to Veterans Day coming up 11-11. The past few years, I've attended major parades celebrating the event. Both in Reno, Nevada, and Auburn, Wash. not too far from here. The one in Auburn supposedly is the largest one west of the Mississippi River. Last year, they had about 120 entries in the parade. Of course the implied theme is that of United States veterans, but there were Philippine Scouts from WW2 in the parade, as well as a few entries consisting of Republic of Vietnam veterans. The scouts were wearing those old uniforms that look kinda/sorta like WW1 Doughboy outfits, with the leggings, campaign hats, etc. The RVN vets were attired in ARVN, VNAF, etc uniforms of their era. I wonder what uniform store still supplies these?? I hope the weather cooperates this year as it did the last.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:00 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

in spite of the stereotypes that our biased media portray , we are not all hippies living in the mountains and there is much reverence offered to those of more current wars , unlike mario i still have enough to let it get long but its now white rather than brown , and yes i tend to let it get long from time to time , but im not and never was a hippie ,

im of the VN era and im fully cognizant of my many friends who are passing as well as those who are suffering , that is a focus as well as the many WWII vets who are quickly fading from our lives , but many of those i know are of recent conflicts , im exposed through the place i still work and the charities ive helped ,

its important to put in perspective the media coverage ....they have an agenda ....and its all about the sale of their daily coverage , it made good coverage to show what they did ,

you need to know that on the backstreets of rural america there are many who work hard for every vet , and the focus is of current vets - we respect our WWII vets , our korean vets , and even the VN vets [although thats long overdue and way past repentance] but our current vets are not ignored ,

i dont live on a mountain - i live in a river valley just above its inlet to the mississippi , my hair has been long since the 60s - im not changing that , and i cannot tell you how much i respect every vet , thanking them for their service is only the first step , keeping any of them from the memorials is a crime of this administration , and i would say the same if it was the other party in control as well ,

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:02 am 
The Butcher
The Butcher

Thx for the input guys.
Personally I think some "person" who has no done any military service to be fit to be commander in chief.
There should be no exceptions on this point.

BRGDS, A