Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hurricane?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:30 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Any of you folks on the wrong end of it? M14 Man? SW

Post subject: Re: Hurricane?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:00 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

hope all south are safe , do let us know when you can ,

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:06 pm 
Major
Major

Hogger,
We are fifty miles inland from Savannah. Most people here are going about in a regular manner with some rational preparing. All of the hotels are filled and I have seen a lot of Florida tags. The food shelves in Wally World are mostly filled with exception of some non refrigerated staples like peanut butter. We have seen that some gas stations in Fl. have been gouging at $8 or more per gallon and they will be dealt with later along with a couple of hotels that have raised rates.

A big concern are the pets at homes and animal shelters where the owners or staff might leave the animals alone like when Katrina hit. The net has listed pet friendly shelters for people who are headed inland or to Georgia etc. There will be however limited space for all of them. Dogs will be in the greatest danger, but even cats may not be able to find high enough or dry enough places to get out of the rain and wind. The people have been told where there are mandatory evacuations. The animals do not get such notifications.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:30 pm 

Stay safe, Friend! I've heard some scary stories about the interstates at a dead stop and no motel rooms for hundreds of miles.

I'd like to help, but am bit too far removed from the storm. SW

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:13 pm 
Major
Major

That would almost be like the highway scene on Walking Dead[i] [/i] . We were talking to someone about Hurricane Matthew today. He mentioned Hurricane Floyd in 1999 when it took him 6 hours to travel less than 50 miles on I-16 from Savannah, Ga to Statesboro.
I would hate to think what it would be like on I-95 which is a lot longer and goes all the way down in Florida. There has been some interstate lane reversal to ease congestion, but I don't know which ones and there will be additional traffic from both South and North Carolina on I-95 and other interstate highways.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:04 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

be safe ,

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:13 pm 
Major
Major

We survived Hurricane Matthew of 2016. Get your T-shirt here.

Actually, the power went out Saturday at 12:10 a.m. We started two-cycle generators to keep the frig and freezers going by alternating power to them.
At times like this I wish we had bought a 4,000-6,000 watt gas generator, but it can get dicey trying to feed power all over the house. We have several at different parts of the house about 15 feet away on the outside to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.

Trees fell on our drive and other drives, along with a large, green pine that fell across the main dirt road, taking out the power line. The main power loss was from at least one other tree falling across what is probably a main feeder line that is probably 10,000-20,000 volts. It may be 3-7 days before the power company can get all of our lines back up in this locale. That is just a rough estimate. I think we have enough gas to last that long.

We are just thankful that our damage was minimal. Our thoughts are with communities that have suffered worse.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:23 pm 

I'm very glad to hear things were no worse than that!! SW

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:30 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

glad to hear you are OK , hoping to hear from others as i know there are many more out there ,

ive been thinking on a new generator , think ill spend that extra for the bigger one , but i still want it portable for the motor home , gotta get the value back in every way possible cant just sit there idle till the SHTF and expect it to run well , also need some added gas storage that allows rotation i think ,

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:18 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

Good to hear you are hanging in there. I have a 6000 watt gen and I made a pigtail to plug into my welder outlet after pulling the main. Really should get a transfer switch installed.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:06 pm 
Major
Major

The power on our road is back on as of 3:00 p.m. Monday EDT. It was off for 64 hours. No sweat. One of our 2-cycle generators cut out so we had no tv, internet or computer since my previous entry.We had only a few withdrawal symptoms. There is still a lot of clearing and power outages in Savannah and limited access to the islands, but repairs are rapidly being made.

Note to self: Make sure that all of the small generators crank before the SHTF and run them for at least 30 minutes not 5 minutes. Our secondary generators were in poor shape and it is no fun trying to trouble shoot them just after a storm. I lent one to a family who had no power or generator and they were able to save the food in the refrigerator and freezers. It was amazing that these little things ran continuously for about 50 hours or more without shutting down. This was after sorting through the ones that cut out after a few minutes. Most were fuel supply problems, leaks, and one bad circuit breaker all of which I am spending the next day repairing. It was not bad gas since I use ethanol free gas to feed them. The float bowls were clean.

We might also get a larger generator for the kitchen area so that next time I won't have to rotate each appliance out every two hours. I am still keeping the small ones as additional backup.

I would hate to be people coming home and having to clean rotten food from their refrigerators and freezers. The dumpsters will be full and awful smelling.

Greg