Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Checking in
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:32 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Haven't posted much lately - with all the snow & crappy weather, there just hasn't been much going on. Well, except the amusement of Trump making lib-tards pi$$ & moan.

Since the county roads have been largely impassable & I can't get out to where I shoot, I've been messing around with model kits. Hobby lobby has a 40% off one item coupon in the paper a couple times a week & I've grabbed a couple kits for cheep.

No pics - I'm still working on making a presentable model. Mostly by not getting glue all over everything. That & I'm too cheep to buy an air brush. Although 40% off would be an incentive to get one.

If you don't get a paper, you can still download the coupon - also check to see what models your local hob lob has in stock.

I did a Tamiya Sdkfz 251 & that seemed to be a good kit. Then a Monogram Pz IV... Not so good. A lot of flash & not as much detail.

I might even get brave & order a kit online if the weather stays like this. And it looks like it will. I took little mutt out this morning & the county boys were out with chains and V-plows on the graders.

Must be winter. SW

Post subject: Re: Checking in
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:17 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

The Tamiya model kits have always been good on the detail but they also were about the most expensive kits as well . Built a bunch of those back when I still did dioramas. I may have to try doing one agin and see how it turns out. :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:00 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

.....thats the rub....the cost for a good quality model...I have 2 1:48 A-6 Intruders that have been waiting for quite some time...one is 1/3 done,but I hit a snag years back when poor manufacturing made for sloppy fuselage fit...havent opened the 2nd box yet....but I'd rather get the1/32 kits....and those run $150 or more....then there's the paint....and impossible to find decals for my squadron era,so I'd have to do a damn good paint job....etc,etc,etc.... :roll: :-?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:14 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I understand that. It do suck being a detail nut at times.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:28 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

havent done a model in years , i would need a really good magnifier/light unit to start one today and some really fine tools , cant see well and fingers just dont move like they used to , got rid of my fly tying gear about ten years ago now , i still have the rods-reels-lines but have not had them out since then either ,

this time of year tends to be indoor stuff for me as i dont handle the cold well anymore , the raynauds disease leaves me without enough feeling in feet and hands to ruin the day , nothing helps anymore ,
ive been loading , got all my 45colts loaded this past week and will most likely move to the cowboy shotgun loads this upcoming one , should be set for anything i choose to sign up for this season , some friends and i plan to camp at a couple multi-day shoots out of state like we have done in the past , as well as make a few club matches locally and in state this year ,

been taking care of the grandkids some , daughter is teaching at the local university this term and has her mother take the grandaughter those days so i get to help out when i get home from work , the grandson was here today as well so we spent the evening rough housing a bit , plan is to get him shooting more this year as he is now old enough to go to my gunclubs range , we plan to fish more this summer as well ,

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:52 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Spend all the time you can with them, both kids and the grands. Time is short and the kids need to know about their families & grandparents, and what it means to be an adult. Unlike what the libs. say it doesn't take a village, to raise a well rounded child it takes a family that cares.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:40 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Did a Mono kit B-17 way the heck back and gone... was told it was a crap kit, but it turned out just fine. It hung from the ceiling for years- it was still there when I left the house for good.

Actual 1st was a balsa glider take off on a Cessna. At one time you could buy the patterns to lay out and cut your balsa with an exacto... I'd be much interested in getting my hands on some of those patterns again- great grandkids now, you understand....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:55 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

One of these days, I am going to get a model of HMS Hood. I'm going to put her in Victorian livery. Should be striking ship!

"We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat; they do not exist"
Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:34 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

sounds interesting, if you do it please post pictures.