[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - While the weather was bad...

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: While the weather was bad...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:33 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I tried building a couple kits. Haven't done that since high school, and it shows. I quickly discovered my attention to tiny details and thinking things through skills need fine tuning.

This artillery tractor is about 90% done. I'm waiting on an air brush to weather it. Same for the small halftrack. Neither is something to be proud of, but I think I picked up sufficient bend in my learning curve to dive in on the big halftrack kit shown.

We have a storm coming & this will keep me amused while the snow piles up.

I didn't realize there was such a big model building community - there are several sites dedicated to the hobby & some of those folks are darn talented.

1893 001 (1024x596).jpg
1893 001 (1024x596).jpg [ 273.62 KiB | Viewed 6315 times ]

1893 003 (1024x627).jpg
1893 003 (1024x627).jpg [ 267.07 KiB | Viewed 6315 times ]

1893 007 (1024x447).jpg
1893 007 (1024x447).jpg [ 253.36 KiB | Viewed 6314 times ]

1893 032 (1024x780).jpg
1893 032 (1024x780).jpg [ 513.05 KiB | Viewed 6315 times ]

There are even youtube vids for assembling specific kits.

In any case, this will keep me amused until I can score a bow & stick a few fish this coming spring. SW

Post subject: Re: While the weather was bad...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:17 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

cool , ive not been into these for years and then wasnt any good at it ,

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:28 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Wish I knew how to post pictures. I've got some of the scale stuff I did 30+ years ago.
Good work Hogger. I'll snoop around as see if I can find some of my books on weathering and dioramas, if I do they are yours.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:12 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

I haven't gotten into models but sort of gotten into garden tractors. I bought my 3rd Simplicity tractor last month that came with a snowthrower and we aren't even getting any snow.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:16 pm 

There may be snow headed your way. We're about to get clobbered tomorrow & the storm will continue east from here. SW

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:07 pm 

Garden tractors? Found one for ya! Plow the garden in style! ;) SW

0000.pic3.jpg
0000.pic3.jpg [ 48.08 KiB | Viewed 6296 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:51 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

so ....the radio and TV and such are telling us we are under a weather watch - to set the stage , we have had a february with record setting highs [as recent as yesterday +58 last was +56 ] but we (those of us with brains) knew it would go back to normal , its winter and we get cold and snow this time of year no matter what our "false spring" [reference to the shootist-john wayne] might suggest , we will have winter well into spring in other parts of the country , we get snow in may and even june on a rare occassion ,

so ...im sure the dire predictions of 12" snowfall did inspire some to shop for a weeks worth of incarceration , i on the other hand expect to go to work both tomorrow and friday as well as my RSO class on saturday , i will believe the snow when i see it and am prepared to travel in a foot of snow that aint much , two feet - OK that's a problem ,

i will check in tomorrow as long as i have power - i will , not real worried this year , precedent is set and rain/ice would be a bigger problem by far , not predicted but always a possibility ,

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:19 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

Hi y'all....
Hogger, I LIKE the oldie tracked one....never seen one and I think the detail is super!
Just needs tomtom laying on the roof, watching the world go by.....

Marc n tomtom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:54 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Neat models. Nice work. Lotsa detail, not easy to do and make look nice.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:48 pm 

It's been cold & rainy so I finished another one. This was a flak wagon kit, but I'm going to build a small Italian tank & pose it being brought back to base for repairs or whatever.

Still no airbrush so I aged the paint with powdered graphite after "dry brushing" natural wear spots to give a chipped effect. Painted the canvas top to look sun-bleached.

The hard part was knowing when to quit messing with it when it looked good.

Got in some yard work today for a change. Time to goof off now! :bigrin: SW

halftrack1 017 (1024x517).jpg
halftrack1 017 (1024x517).jpg [ 229.59 KiB | Viewed 6158 times ]

halftrack1 016 (1024x858).jpg
halftrack1 016 (1024x858).jpg [ 351.99 KiB | Viewed 6158 times ]

halftrack1 015 (1024x482).jpg
halftrack1 015 (1024x482).jpg [ 218.15 KiB | Viewed 6158 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:29 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

these are really neat - i wish i had the eyes to do such close detailed work these day , i no longer do and i strule with even the most common of efforts these days , a lot has changed in the last 10 years i hope to keep doing what i do for another 10 , i thank god for the advent of digital media that lets me magnify what i need related to my job otherwise id no longer be able to do it , im not ready to quit just yet , may happen in the future but not just yet ,

anyway - i cant see to detail let alone assemble these anymore , i miss that agility/ability and my eyesight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:23 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Hogger try Harbor Freight for a air brush, I think mine cost about $12-14. Good unit, I used mine to paint my CETME when I built it. Now it's used to paint trigger guards and pic rail sections.
If you have a compressor get a regulator and a filter. I set mine for 30-40 psi and the filter catches any moisture from the compressor.
Still looking for those books on dioramas and weathering, I'll find them one day. Probably when the shop slows down.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:42 am 

I'll keep that in mind. Hobby lobby has a CO2 air brush kit for $35 & they always have a 40% off coupon in the Wed paper here...

I'm just too cheep to grab one so far - I poop away too much $ on other stuff somehow. SW