[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - O/T Knives

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: O/T Knives
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:21 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Got this a couple of months ago, and like it a lot.

CRKT Mossback Bird and Trout. Stroebel's scope book makes a fine back drop. Regular sized model 1924 zippo for scale :bigrin:

Not really a fan of synthetic scales, but this Kevlar based is actually sort of attractive. The maker refers to it as G-10.

It rides low in it's economy grade sheath~ which is probably a good idea for a knife this small for loss prevention.

CRKT (Columbia River Knife and Tool) is moderate priced Asian imports- with the bulk of their mfg. done in China and Taiwan. Quality is high though- I have yet to have to sharpen one of these through proper use. I carried their small version M-16 KT folder for almost 3 years, and it did not require sharpening.

Did I mention I like it? Yet?

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

Post subject: Re: O/T Knives
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:07 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I've got a CRKT folder & it seems to have good steel. Overall, it's Puma for me, though. ;) SW

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:03 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

that is a nice looking blade , i like the shape and the sheath , i would be proud to own one of those - i carry a kershaw folder a friend gave me a number of years ago , ill not hold it up against great steel but i will say there is something to be said for sentimental ties , i have a number of others that may be better - i even carry a few , almost always have at least two on me sometimes three or four depending on the day and such ,

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:09 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I can see a bit of the original sharp finger in this design. Less of a drop point, though, integral finger guard, and a much narrower blade belly. I believe the designer was heavily influenced....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:12 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

it needs a lanyard of some type to retain it ? i note the lanyard hole is pronounced and looks important , would you say its secure in the sheath or is this a concern to address with a nice paracord device ?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 10:42 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

The sheath actually holds the knife quite well. It takes a pronounced effort to get it out.
I don't like lanyards or pocket clips on knives. There was no lanyard in the box with this one.
It's carried in it's sheath, in a zippered pocket on the camera bag with a couple other cheep knives :bigrin:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:36 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i missed the zipper here , might be because you just mentioned it and may because i thought you were carrying on a belt , does not matter that explains the concerns of loosing it entirely , there are 'cheap knifes' that i not only carry today but cherish from yesterday , some of my favorites were "salesman's" giveaways that my father and grandfather got for gifts in the 59s and 60s as well as those i retrieved from their tool boxes when i inherited them ,

this is one of those -

not one you see every day - a folding/locking blade in a wood handle , its german and was my german grandfathers 'utility' knife ,

and this is one i bought from a member here a lot of years ago for my cowboy belts -

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:38 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I still like wood scales. That's a nice one. A kabar too. :bigrin: Been a while since I've seen one in person. I'm going to get a few oldsters up, including my work carry. Hopefully this week...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:40 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

This was my Dad's, and I think it's the only thing of his I have left. Home made sheath. Dad cut the gusset out of an old suitcase. :bigrin: Mom did the needle work. Thread has long since deteriorated, as has the leather washers that make up the handle grip. I made two to make up for the shrinking leather, but the leather has shrunk again...

My sister had it for years. It was used as a can opener quite a bit. I'll have to take it in somewhere and have them re-edge it on a carbide belt.

Don't know a thing about PAL knives. The stainless is incredibly hard. Can't quit figure out that "A" in the maker's roll stamp. Dad actually used that knife for filleting walleye- a lot. It isn't much bigger than the mossback discussed above. Obviously, this one's a keeper, for sentimental reasons....

Daily work carry. Blade is Sheffield steel with the English trade marks.

It was actually an old RCMP commemorative of some kind. The stick-on vinyl scale covers came off long ago. Blade is a bit on the soft side, but takes a rapid edge. It sees daily hard use from slitting tape to wire stripping...

Got a few more to put up later...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:01 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

that PAL reminds me of the boy scout knife set i got for christmas in 56-57 came in a leather sheath attached to a hatchet cover with belt loops , the hatchet was a wood handled plumb , really nice set , my daughter took the hatchet camping and lost it , the knife was in a tackle box i gave my godson/nephew , all years ago .......so many years now ,

i found a knife that looked a little like your daily carry under the floor boards of my boat when i recarpeted it , had most likely been used to trim the flotation foam when it was built , i bet that guy missed it , it went to a fellow yesterdays colectors members son a long while back ,

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:56 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Ruger marked CRKT folder. Knife is new fangled "weathered look".

Bought it last fall sometime, being in the right place at the right time~ paid 9.99 c.a.d. for it on a one day only sale special. Seen them marked at 129.00 when they first came out.

Can't really say I care for the fake aged look, or the speed lock. Assisted opening knives have never been my strong point, either. This one needs work- it's awfully hard to open as designed. Scales are gonna hafta come off, and drive spring and cross lock will have to be de-burred. I'll round file the pocket clip...

Outbound manual folder. This came in a dept. store special set along with two multi tools. Another sale item- I think I paid 15 bucks for the set....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:32 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

thats nice looking - do you still have the rest of the set ?

here is one my grandfather gave me in the late 50s very early 60s -

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:52 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....my old Case knife that I carried with me onboard ship,and everywhere else during my Navy years-and beyond....picked it up from the ships store onboard the USS Saratoga CV-60....its seen a lot of use... :bigrin:

20170523_194354sm.jpg
20170523_194354sm.jpg [ 377.63 KiB | Viewed 7361 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:55 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

nice , and memories too , dont get any better than that ,

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:09 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel