[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Time to watch carefully while hiking

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Time to watch carefully while hiking
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:06 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Petey Pit Viper was laying in the trail trying to warm up this morning. Fairly good size.

Also out there, I found a new patch of wild roses. Picked a few for wifey. They're quite small and have a strong aroma.

Peace & domestic tranquility is a good thing! ;) :bigrin: SW

snake 002 (1024x718).jpg
snake 002 (1024x718).jpg [ 370.28 KiB | Viewed 4090 times ]

snake 001 (1015x1024).jpg
snake 001 (1015x1024).jpg [ 539.85 KiB | Viewed 4090 times ]

Post subject: Re: Time to watch carefully while hiking
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:45 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Those wild roses have quite a range~ from Texas to the northern tree line limit.
Same open petal plants here as far North as Lynn Lake, which is the end of paved roads for Manitoba, pretty well. Wild blue berries and saskatoons won't be far off time wise.

How did you dispatch that snake? Only snakes here are harmless garter snakes. They have a habit of sunning themselves in the middle of the interlake highways, and I dislike running them over...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:57 pm 

I bounced my hiking staff off Petey's head a few times. Really no need to squander ammo on a snake. I kill all rattlesnakes I see but leave other snakes alone.

I always watch for garter snakes in the back yard when mowing - they don't hurt anything.

In the sandhills, roses bushes are a good place to look for grouse - they graze on "rose hips". SW

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:56 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

learned something new - my goal every day - did not know grouse liked rose hips , thank you ,

dont see vipers here often , i like snakes doing their thing eating rodents , i dont like them invading my space , when hiking im invading their space so give a wide birth if possible , will take action when required by imminent danger but generally think they have their place eating rodents and insects , much like bats and dragonflies , i let them alone as long as they leave my house alone , i would like a nice rattler head band for my cowboy hat - maybe one day ...

my wild rose bushes are just budding , i did a number on them last fall - they were getting out of hand - cutback severely , but it looks like im going to get a major blossom year from them , they look exactly like yours when they bloom , ill add +1 to their range ,

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:52 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

The Sharptails and Ruffies here gorge on Labrador tea berries, until the first snow cover.

I've taken quite a few sharptails with crops filled with aspen leaves, after snow flies.

The rose hip thing I've noticed after snow again, likely because they don't have to brush snow to get at them.

I look for wild choke cherry stands along the Whitemouth R. Both grouse and white tailed deer will gorge on these until the plants are completely stripped of berries. I'm pretty sure these plants re-locate utilizing the deer's digestive systems for mobility. Wild cranberries are another BIG sharptail attractant~ but these plants appear to be on a 7 year or so cycle... there will be 3 or 4 good years of these berries, and then it will taper off with a 2 or 3 year later later re-bound.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:12 am 

Thought little mutt found another rattler this morning, but it was just a gopher. It's a good gopher now!

gopher 003 (1024x931).jpg
gopher 003 (1024x931).jpg [ 460.63 KiB | Viewed 4060 times ]

I meant to take it from her so she wouldn't try to eat it, but oddly, she buried it in the parking lot.

gopher 006 (1024x670).jpg
gopher 006 (1024x670).jpg [ 335.23 KiB | Viewed 4060 times ]

gopher 007 (1024x840).jpg
gopher 007 (1024x840).jpg [ 672.87 KiB | Viewed 4060 times ]

Pushed dirt over it with her nose, jumped in the truck & happy as a clam all the way home. SW

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:49 am 
The Knife
The Knife

They dig with their paws and cover with their noses. Got a little one that tries to cover her food and treats all the time.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member