Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stuff from back in the day...
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:57 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Remember cereal box toys? Like the little grey baking soda submarines that would do a few dives after you put soda in them. There were cheep yoyos that wouldn't yo very well.

Not enough mass to generate momentum. The toys were always clear in the bottom of the box & Mom got irritated with me spilling cereal to get them.

You could save cereal box tops, too. I saved a pile of Cheerio box tops for an assortment of plastic dinosaurs.

Seeing which cereal had the best toy was a prime purchase decision... when Mom had $ for something other than Cheerios or rice krispies.

I've heard Cracker Jax had decent toys but never got much of that. I got a whistle in one that must have been pretty annoying - it somehow disappeared overnight.

Maybe they still have toys - It's been a while since I've been a cereal killer. SW

Post subject: Re: Stuff from back in the day...
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:00 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I think it was Shreddies that came with the Zinc and Lead secret agent decoder ring- and you had to save box tops to get the code book. I don't ever remember sending in for the code book. My brother and I figured out the simple substitution codes, and could translate the cornball stuff that was printed in code on the cereal boxes. I got a good green finger from my ring :hah:

Cracker jack actually had some pretty cool metal cars in the box at one time. They are a big collector thing nowadays. They turned to plastic cheap prizes somewhere in the late 60's...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:39 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i remember them , but we were not allowed to be swayed by that sort of thing except at the dairy cattle congress in waterloo , that is when we got to throw balls at bottles and darts at balloons , shoot 22s at the moving targets ,

today its super heros and movie stuff in mcdonalds meals i think , being a kid is different i think ,

we had fun with stuff we made ..found in the vacant lots and construction sites , even the farm dumps around our neighborhood .. old playing cards on the spokes of our bicycles with pinch close pins - even those were a rare find as most in our neighborhood fad the friction type - i think they were cheaper ..

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:24 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

My Grandma worked at the Cracker Jack factory for awhile and she told me she would put two prizes into the boxes at times just to make some kid real happy.
Hey Hogger I remember those submarines, do you remember the frogmen that worked the same way?
How about putting together one bike out of 3-4 that you pulled out of the trash?
Good times my friends, good times. Wish we had them back.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 5:34 am 

I forgot about the frogmen until you mentioned them - yep, I had a whole platoon of them! They were UDT for my green plastic army guys!

No junk bikes in the trash for me - grew up on a ranch. SW

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:12 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

my bike was a throw away that my dad collected parts for till he had a whole one , that was what i learned to ride on , he bought new balloon tires for the thing but everything else was recycle-bicycle , one speed and that was full tilt as fast as my legs could make it go , i remember him painting it with multiple coats and sanding between to get a real nice shine - thought it might never get done .... impatience was a kid thing , looked real nice when it was finished , we were in town at that point - i was 4or 5 , moved to the country when i was 6 and my sister was born ,

iowa clay roads that were deeply rutted in the spring , road mostly on paths in the fields around the few houses that were in the new development - didnt have pavement till i was 10 when we started hunting and gave up the bikes for chasing pheasants in the cornfields all around us ,

thats when i learned to drive too , his 57 triumph TR3 - only around the neighborhood tho , didnt get a licence till i was 16 , had to take that new fangled driver training - on simulators that would seem now like they were antique video games , the summer i was 15 so i could take the state driving test , my grandmother that had learned in a model T in the farm fields took me , she said she was real proud but did not understand all that teaching , the driving auditor was real impressed i could handle that floor shift so well , i did not tell him i had been driving it for a few years , as small as it was the parallel parking was a breeze ,