Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Class reunion
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:25 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

For the first time in a LOT of years, I went to a class reunion this evening. Now I see why they have name tags (this one didn't) People were saying, "Hi, Steve! Long time - no see!"

And I hadn't a clue who they were. "You're Ron??? No way!"

But the more things change, the more some stay the same. Two female units who were stuck up and too important to speak in HS were still acting that way. Oddly, both had essentially the same hair style as back then.

I was talking to two friends who were still working in computers, and when they started talking computer war stories, I excused myself.

Saw a lady my age for whom I pined madly in school... she had been in a horrific car crash and is now physically and mentally a wreck. Very sad, that. We got on quite well but never dated.

This was a 2 day event. Tomorrow, the class (or remnants thereof) are riding a flatbed trailer in a local parade. Then off to the golf course for dinner. Thank you, no. Please.

But it was only a 25 mile drive, and I only drank half a beer. I'm not sorry I went, but this will be it for me with class reunions.

I think it's just as well to remember the good times and leave it go at that. SW

Post subject: Re: Class reunion
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:00 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Know how ya feel Steve. My class had been after me to attend, but nope won't do it. I have nothing in common with them, plus they didn't like me while I was in school and they sure as shit won't like me now. Besides that all my buddies that I hung with are all gone now. And the ones giving the shindig are mostly liberals, and gunsmiths/dealers are not very welcome in liberal circles.
Maybe I'll attend the next 50 year reunion if I mellow out by then.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:24 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I won't be dating myself by mentioning how long ago the last day of high school actually was.
A lot of the people I was on speaking terms with are either dead, or socially defunct now...
I have absolutely zero interest in going to a reunion, and most likely won't. King really nailed our character types in the short story "The Body", and the later "Stand By Me " movie, even though we were 6 or 7 years older.
I had a few people I actually considered friends. None of them had anything to do with my H.S. experience. There's one or two I wouldn't mind tracking down, just to see how they're doing.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:36 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

yes - 50th , that's not a fun thought , i do remember my last day of high school sorta - it was the day before christmas break , i started college right after break and got my draft notice during break , i wont go back - 300 mile trip down and im not thinking there are any old friends going so i really dont need to see those that never left , i had lots of acquaintances but very few close friends , i actually knew almost every one of my 750+ class mates by name back then , but i also knew every title on the top ten play list and could tell you the artist and song in about three notes , so that's not really sayin much ,

my family no longer live there , my siblings migrated to surrounding communities and my folks are both dead , nothing drawing me back for the visit , i live here , i would rather go to my wifes if she was inclined , idmeet new folks even if they are 10 years younger , but she feels much the same ,

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:20 pm 
Grand Pooh-Bah
Grand Pooh-Bah

well I went to 2 high schools. One for 3 years and then a move to another state (FL) for last year. Never get called for the one that had my friends since I did not graduate with them. As for the school I graduated from about all my friends were underclassmen and they never heard of "FFA" so in my senior yearbook it said I was a member of "FHA".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:54 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

my wife had an experience similar in that she was moved from san diego to a very small community here in minnesota in the sophomore/junior year , her father retired here from the navy , went on to a second career teaching at the local university but the culture change for she and her siblings was a pretty big jump - they had spent their middle school years in japan tho so they did adapt well for the most part ,

she does not do her class reunions either , no real attachment i think , i guess i was blessed to have had my friends throughout my school years even if i never grew many strong attachments , i look back and don't see the attraction of getting back together to exchange .....i think it more of comparing and ill not trade mine for anyone else's so im not going to envy or sympathize , we all make our own way , i'm OK with mine - i've done very little wrong - none intentionally and i intend to keep it that way , life is good ,