Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I won't do this anymore!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:51 pm 
Major
Major

In the past, I have had the occasion when entering my house to leave my keys in the door. House keys, garage, car. etc, everything!. Many times I carry them in and have 2 favorite drop spots. If I leave them in the door it's because I intend to leave shortly. Well last week I did the same but ended up staying quite awhile. My neighbor hood gets the occasional door to door salesman. or teen who is trying to sell something, but not too often. When I went to leave a few hours later, I look in the door. NOT THERE!!! I look in the 2 favorite spots I may leave them. NOPE!!!
Now panic sets in...did someone come to the door , see them and take them? Locking up would be useless since they could easily open the door. They could take my car at night from the driveway. I think, should I call the law? Should I go up and down the block looking for a door to door guy? How do I confront him?

I think, I do have a spare door lock stored somewhere in the garage. I could install that. I do have the "Club" in my truck. I could use that so he could not drive off......and I could pin the garage door in place on the inside.
My heart is beating like mad...a pit in my stomach, akin to the feeling one gets when you lose your wallet. Just as I get ready to at least do something I spot the keys on my kitchen table.
I don't remember carting them in....but my heart beat starts to return to normal.
I WILL NEVER, NEVER leave the keys in the door....Ever

Post subject: Re: I won't do this anymore!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:49 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I feel your pain. Not long ago I managed to scare myself severely. Went to the car wash to get the top layer of dirt off my truck - then I had a few errands to run one of which was hit the gro for supper stuff.

Walking into the store, I checked with my left elbow to be sure my P7 was secure.

Aaaaaahhhhhh!!! It wasn't there!! :-o :-o :-o As rattled as I was I realized there was no use speeding back over to the car wash - there had been others waiting in line behind me.

Carefully searched the truck... no dice. I was feeling pretty despondent - it would cost a bunch to replace it.

Got home & just for grins I felt above the cupboard where I always leave it so grandkids can't mess around... and there it was. I flat forgot to take it with me!

Moral of the story? As we age we are all afflicted to CRS to one degree or another, and it gets worse as time passes. SW

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:50 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

yup - been there done that and feel the same - i have the habit of pushing the car lock as i get out - just good sense , i put my keys in my pocket - pat the pocket to see they are there before i push the lock , it has come to be my routine to the degree that i pat my pocket multiple times a day just to be sure , i never leave them in the lock even if i am leaving in a moment , in my pocket is where i am happy

i know how folks get tiered of the bunch of keys in your pocket - i have sorted down to those i use daily on one ring that has no extra crap attached - in my pocket all the time - i even request them back immediately when my wife request the use , never out of my sight but for moments and back in the pocket ,

i have a couple other rings with the car keys i do not drive regularly , and the locks i do not open often , even the gun cases have their places ,

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:18 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I had a nice u.s. made schrade sharpfinger....

Trimmed the feet and wing tips off a grouse with it, and dropped it point down into a stump.
Got home and knife sheath was empty. Figured it for gone...
Went back to the same spot off a long cutline trail a week later and it was still there.

I have yet to leave a gun behind (fingers crossed) but have on more than 2 occasions, left home for opening day fishing with no tackle box or rod :boo:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:26 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

:Dbounce:
I have slept many nights with the keys in the door knob...on the OUTSIDE :crzy:
But, we are the house in my small neighborhood when once there was all five squad cars here one Saturday....long story short, Laura is a serious lady with her 38....so nobody 'visits' our yard.....kinda like livin with a female doc holiday.... :-(

Marc n tomtom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:25 pm 
Major
Major

A unwanted visitor while I'm here is not a concern.
I don't take prisoners.
Anyone that steals the keys should be smart enough to hit whan he is sure no one is home.

Last edited by M14man on Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:11 pm 
Grand Pooh-Bah
Grand Pooh-Bah

I can't remember easy stuff anymore. I have a couple of lockers (at work and the bowling alley) that use combination locks. I used note pad on my phone to record the numbers. Well today after 3 tries at work I had to break out my phone for the combo. Site passwords have become a real bitch too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:37 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

boy do i hear that - there are sites i no longer visit that i really enjoyed because ive lost my passwords , it was so nice when i used the same one on all , but those days are gone due to all the hacking , when i start having that issue at work i will retire ....not yet ready but getting close i fear , would far rather go in and tell them i can no longer manage it all than have them tell me im no longer capable ,

ive been searching through my files for a couple recently - i know i have them , gettin old aint for sissies ..........