[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - we lost a B-17 today

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: we lost a B-17 today
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:48 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

in a fiery crash that killed or injured ten people , three crew and seven passengers , sad event all the way around , it was one of the collins foundations war birds

Post subject: Re: we lost a B-17 today
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:29 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Sad, sorry about the people lost on that flight. I heard it may have lost and engine after taking off. A witness said as it returned to the airport they seen it brush some trees and that one engine was not turning. There was one lost east on me4-5 years ago. Had some engine trouble the day before, repaired it and though it good to go. Took the next morning going to another location and had an engine fire and had to put down in a corn field. She burned to the ground.
Sad day today.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:51 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

yes , the count actually went up its 13 now , but still only 7 dead so far , it is so sad , these guys do all they can to keep these in the air , this will be tough on that dwindling contingent of folks that care ,

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:49 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Made yesterdays paper here.
It is sad for sure. These aircraft are nearing 75-80 years old.
It may be time to ground them for safety and posterity, as much as I hate to say it...
There are only 2 surviving flyable Lancaster Mk IV's here, and there was much talk last year about permanently grounding them...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:56 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I found the vid of the Greenland B-29. Man, that would make a grown man weep! SW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpR2S_gu5I8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:20 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

it made me weep and i had no investment , that was a sad event , there are less of these in the air now than the smaller B-17s , i get that some might want them grounded but i have to continue to wish that our history is preserved , particularly now that the commies among us are getting so much erased ,

the statues , the monuments , the memorials , these aircraft , they respect those that fought and died for what they believed in , i would fight to preserve a memorial to stalin or mao , if only to preserve the history of the fact that they once led a people that believed in them in times that we cannot understand but need to respect [never relive] , even hitler , i would never pay homage to what they did but i would never want to forget who they were , or what they did ,
preserve the items that represented them - and those that represent what they did , Auschwitz , the killing fields of Cambodia , Tienanmen square , Waterloo , our north and south , these aircraft , just me ,

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:41 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

Yes...very sad day....the crew tried hard to turn that bird with LOTS going on.....they just didn't have the altitude to work.
RIP fellows....

Just a note....these things are tons, glide path of a brick, but it was reported that Jimmy Stewart was capt in WWII and deadstick landed one successfully......no engines!!!....but he had it on a good glide path.....or, on a 4:1 controlled fall!