[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Virus hysteria

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Virus hysteria
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:21 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

well , guess i was wrong , i got the furlough extended to eternity with termination last friday , so now i guess im retired officially this time as no-one will be hiring a 70 year old when there is the open job pool available now , i was getting close but not really ready , ill find a part time job -retirement job to fill whatever gap in life i need to fill but for now ill make the adjustments within today's stupid climate ,

decided to sell off my enfield collection , if anyone is looking for something let me know but i realize that forum died here years ago , i will post a few things as i get them organized , that is in process and may take a while to say the least as ive not been near as attentive lately as i used to be ,

im getting old with too many interests , i need to rethink where im at and retirement seems to have given me the incentive to look at it all ,

so much for that...............

speaking of climate - i see this crisis as being the replacement for "climate change" that has been failing for many years now , this on the other hand offers a perfect way to shut down the country - panic people - exert total control over everything , this will not go away after this one is gone , they have felt the control - they have had absolute power over all of our lives - they have had an agenda and talking points that were accepted completely - they will never let go of this , we will not be free of this till we tell them we reject it ,

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:03 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Retired at 70? You're harder than me - I couldn't stand it anymore at age 66 and bailed when I had stuff paid off.

We got our 'survive the virus' money last night. Which if you really needed it wouldn't amount to much. Younger daughter's spa was ordered to close so she got a larger sum. Her student loan and car loan are on hold so she's getting by pretty well so far.

I'll probably just poop mine away on a toy or something. Wifey hasn't decided what she will do with her half yet. SW

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:21 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I am still working. Work is awfully quiet. I hope we can hang in there, and come out of this without me missing any work.

The more time I spend at home, the less I want to retire. I really hope I don't have to retire in the middle of this mess. I'm sort of in the same boat as A-square with re-hirement options, due to my age....

Gonna try and aim for a pit session on Friday. I am very rusty with the shooting. Still got my eye though. Can generally hit with the old 101 and it's basic peep at 15 yds. There's a lot to be said for non bead-type front sights...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:46 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Hey A-Square sorry to hear that, it really sucks. The Rep. I had with one distributer got the ax last Monday and he just bought a house 2 months ago. I know how hard it was to find even a part-timer when I left the Lab at 53. 850+ resumes and not one call, this with 40 years experience as a tool& die maker / Machinist. Good luck to you, but maybe just sit back and relax, you deserve it.
We are holding our own here, wifey is still working 9hrs during the week and 6 on Sat. They just got a big order and she may have to go in on Sundays. Now that will suck. They make ultrasonic welders for food and medical suppliers. I'm still puttering around in the shop messing with my stuff and reloading, waiting for the weather to break so I can go to the range. Right now rebuilding a Para-Ordnance P-13.45 and doing some mods for my son. Did the bluing yesterday, and now waiting on parts to come in.
Take care guys, stay safe and stay healthy.
Lurking here every night,
Rebel49/Ron

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:08 am 

Still fairly calm here - well except for a nasty snow storm & icy roads. Couldn't hike so I hit Co-op for liverwurst to give flop ears her meds - also me a liverwurst sammich.

And since it's snowing & blowing, I grabbed pinto beans, smoked ham hocks and garlic sausage. I'll dump all that in the crock pot tonight & have ham & beans tomorrow! (You gots to let beans simmer at LEAST 12 hours - more is better.)

There wasn't much missing from shelves - didn't even check about TP. No hamburger, though. Saw the meat cutters setting up to grind a bunch.

Talking heads were dithering long & loud about packing plants closing with employees having caught the virus. It was like they were trying to create panic buying. Idiots! Wifey wanted to watch the news to see what was up with a solution, but nothing like that - all the idiots wanted to do was squabble with the prez.

I finally convinced her there wasn't going to be any news - just idiots trying to push their agenda. SW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:42 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

thanks rebel , im very much fine [sent you a pm] im having computer issues om top of everything else , both battery's for both my computers died . got both fixed now and recharged or charging so - im now back on ,

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:44 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Managed to get a 12 pack of 2-ply t/p today.
Also scored some pork back ribs boneless at a decent price.
Hamburger and chicken are in stock.
Trash bags were the only sticking point. I ain't payin 15 bucks for 40 can liners.

Truth is coming out in the hand that W.H.O. had in assisting the Chinese in withholding critical info about the contagion for almost a week. I fear this one is going to be politicized all to heck and back again. In terms of common sense it's a non-issue at this late stage of the game.

Globalization is definitely not the solution so many modern thinkers believe it to be.

Doing alright here. We are at 5 deaths now, and the rate of new cases appears to be levelling off into the "manageable" zone. Too many talking heads. :P

Did manage to get a look at the Red R. this afternoon with remaining sister in tow.

Found me a squill hotel at the base of a grand old elm....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:32 am 

I bet there's a ton of squill food hidden in there! ;) SW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:07 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Must be getting close to nursery time for them. I've seen a lot of exceptionally fat GBT's and foxes running around in the past week or so.

Yeah, that hole is probably just a larder/diner. I doubt they'd birth or sleep that close to the ground. I do like the way the entry is carpeted with leaves. The squills around here are no dummies when it comes to cold. :bigrin:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:42 am 
Major
Major

Doc Sharptail,

What is a GBT?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:31 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:14 pm 

I figured it stood for 'Great Big Tomcat' ;) :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:47 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Those acronyms go back a looooong ways to the late 90's old Marlin factory page.

Still use them in my head a lot.

STG = Sharp Tailed Grouse

WTD = White Tailed Deer

RFG = Ruffed Grouse

It actually makes a lot of easy sense with little brain power required, once you get the hang of it.

I've spoken with others that actually think the same way.... :roll: ;) :bigrin:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:05 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

To return however briefly to topic....

Things have been getting a little weird and harried around here.
There has been 3 officer involved shootings here in the last 2 weeks.
In 2 of the incidents, suspects were shot dead. The 3rd I can't remember. Too much to keep track of.
Crimes of violence, robbery and carjackings seem to be very much on the up-swing.
There are quite a few all-out weirdo's wandering around downtown.

Announced today, another 30 days of local public emergency.
We are now at 6 deaths and edging on 250 confirmed cases.
The number of people that recover is becoming heartening.

I don't know how much more of this the country can afford.
I think we're going to be in for some hyper inflation, once and if, we turn the corner.

I am looking forward to getting a day out of the city...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:40 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

yes , its time to start going back toward normal , there are a bunch of folks getting restless

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:33 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

Sorry to hear a square about your forced retirement...but it may be a good thing in the long run...time to stop and smell black powder burning :P
Just remember to follow thru on shooting that flinter!!!
I'm like Steve...I've 1/2 bailed at 62, couldn't stand 5 days a week anymore dealing with the public....and then this craziness....the wife is furloughed right now, so not sure where that will end...but I'm sticking to my guns that 3 days a week at the hi-de-ho pharmacy....
But the other 2 days a week, I help out at friends engine shop...starting on the ground floor....maybe in the future I'll be rebuilding engines and quit the other, after 31yrs! :jmp: (and not EVER answer a phone again....).. :kap:
Tomtom is good with all the changes...he's around 12yr now, but still full of it....a real nut job!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:03 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

im going to be brutally honest here - i been working save a few months over all these years since i was 14 - even before if you count the mowing neighbors lawns for a few years and gettin paid , i filed taxes since then as my mother incised i do , ive not had more than a few months unemployment in my entire life , im not sure how to take getting up in the morning not having to go to work - i need to wrap my head around the "retired" aspect of life ,

yes - i still have my gunclub job , im working that , i am getting up in the morning and this past week 5 days , so maybe the transition will be eased ,

after living a full life - less two failed marriages , i thought id gotten to a common ground , one that made sense , now i get to find a new 'common' i guess , 30 years with my wife and she is taking this far better than i am , ill get there too , i get it that at my age i should be retired , most folks are , im being told that by a lot of folks these last few days , they are amazed i still want to work at the gun range , but we got to do something productive every day , just sayin , i will survive this ...and happily after i adjust ,

ive made a couple life decisions that needed to happen - maybe a while back , and im looking at a couple more , all will be fine , it always is , i may even have some fun in divesting my collection - maybe as much as collecting it in the end , anyway all will be fine in the end ,

what a strange world we find ourselves in right now - who would have guessed ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:24 am 

Encouraging signs here this morning. Plenty of TP and paper towels on the shelves where I shop. The doom-n-gloom talking heads have warned of meat shortages from packing plants being shut down...

Not here. Plenty of meat to be had and the meat cutters had a side of beef & pork they were busily packaging.

Now if I could just get a haircut! ;) :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:06 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

Sq 10.....you've had jobs that you've liked....or, well enough to want to go to.....hogger and I danced on the way outta the parking lot :Dbounce:
Or....if I could shed those 3 days each week I would.....I'm a worker too...I have a new place to show up...and it's 180 degrees from the health care field....I'm happy to say!
I suffer from major burn out, not laziness, if I could make the same greenbacks shoveling horse hockey....I would!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:04 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i get that marc , ive been blessed and im thankful , not really complaining , all will be fine and ill quit complaining , there are times in life when one has to adjust - im working on that , some days that is easier to accept than others , who knows i may not have all that long to be here , gotta make the best of it each day and enjoy a bit of life , glad to have all of you to talk to ,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next