[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Virus hysteria

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Virus hysteria
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:14 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

What a world wide mess! Hoarding stuff like terlet paper is becoming common - now we have travel restrictions to Europe. Like if you were there yesterday, you're there today, like it or not.

The fake news people are having a field day with it, too. :roll:

On a positive note, I can play more with my still now. ;) SW

pic8.jpg
pic8.jpg [ 73.67 KiB | Viewed 7426 times ]

Post subject: Re: Virus hysteria
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:27 pm 

I spoke too soon. Went over to wally for a few supplies... no terlet paper or bleach, and darn few cleaning supplies. Saw people from Wyo complaining bitterly about the TP - they drove a long way to load up & drew a blank.

I'm making soup for supper & stopped at the local gro here in Haystack for fresh chicken strips. Plenty of TP & bleach. Out of the deli breakfast burritos I like, though.

But I grabbed supplies to make another batch of "hand sanitizer". That will keep me occupied tomorrow. ;) :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:25 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

it is nuts what the media is doing - i guess if they cant control trump they are going to prove they can still control the populous , this is so stupid , and expensive , and i see a lot of folks with habds out getting them filled on our tab again ,

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:12 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

3 confirmed cases here in the C.O.W.
Gassed up the car on the way home from work tonight, just in case we need a hasty exit stage right to the escarpment. For the first time in a decade, 40 bucks filled it :bigrin:

Heading out in the a.m. for t-wipe and grub.

Wall St. is poopin' bricks.

Am becoming a little more concerned as this bug appears uncontainable without a vaccine.

The NHL has suspended it's season as has the NBA.

Gonna with-hold forming an overly serious opinion for a bit yet….

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:31 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

well - we have one in town , just back from a cruise , so mayor instigated measures [semi state of emergency] cancelling all the big events locally , governor came on and said same , and with trumps speech they all feel just fine , the big gunshow this weekend cancelled this afternoon , it was on the fairground property that had to comply with the governors 'suggestions' ,

so with the previous scares everything was fine because it would run its course like the flu and go away , but for some reason this one wont ? we have to ruin the economy and throw the public into a frenzy ? schools closing for two weeks [why 2 weeks ?] local fish frys for lent cancelled , WTF , ive overheard folks who are talking going to bunkers ...granted only a couple preppers but really ?

this is like pearl harbor or the twin towers ? i dont think so ,
just an excuse for a lot of things to get tax funding on a lot of levels - we have a billion dollar surplus in our state - bet you thats gone in no time , pot of gold to rob ,

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:30 pm 

Unfortunately, due to the hysteria even if the gov didn't cancel events, vendors and attendees would only be a fraction of normal. SW

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:05 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

probably so , but it made me feel good to vent i think , i relaxed a good bit after that post , if i get something ill suffer through it as always , if i die so be it , we all gotta go sometime , but ive told my wife to keep it out of the media so if i disappear ....if im here a lot more you know im home sick , :lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:16 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Did a bit of shopping and stuff today.
Camera store was awfully quiet for a Friday afternoon. Made a few purchases and left for XYZ mall to pay cell phone bill. Cell store was absolutely empty~ something I've never seen before on a Friday. Paid bill and joined the hunt for toilet paper. 3 stores later I gave up on the t.p…

Grocery store was a madhouse. No meat left in the affordable zone. No t.p. there either. Got most of my usual, except more cuts of beef and zero chicken. Paper towels was getting awful low. I got the last 2. Any port in a storm I guess....

Got home and wifey ran out to the local corner Korean store and came back with 2 30 roll packs of decent t.p. If the apocalypse hits the fan, our butts are gonna be clean at least :P

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:03 am 
Grand Pooh-Bah
Grand Pooh-Bah

The death toll with the seasonal flu is higher than this. FB was the start of the TP panic, someone thinks that all the tp is from China. Other hysteria is courtesy of the MSM and Democrats. This is no worse than the outbreaks of BHO admin but the Dems and their propaganda arm with this being a BIG election year they have seized upon the chance to weaponize this one into a Weapon of Mass Disruption. Create panic and tear down the advances made to this country. Nothing that the Trump administration does is not criticized. If he had produce the anti-viral last month they would complain that he didn't do it soon enough to save all those dead Chinese.
Never let a crisis go to waste.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:38 pm 

It snowed a lick last night & chilly today. Aha! sez I. Time for a big pot o' chicken & noodles! So after scooping the walk & driveway, off-a to Co-op for ingredients.

Plenty of food there, just the terlet paper aisle had bare shelves. An older lady was haranguing the mgr about not having any. All he could tell her was more would be in Tuesday. I'm willing to bet she has plenty at home & just wanted to load up.

I noticed there was still plenty of Spam & since it was on sale I grabbed 2 cans. I like Spam with a small cheese omelet once a week or so.

So no real hysteria here... except for the terlet paper madness. SW

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:00 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

none here in my home freezer is full - sqills are plentiful in the yard and i think we have a fair stack of old sears catalogs in the garage ....kidding on the last one but we get plenty of coupon rags in the mail , oh and the water is still on and the well still works if that fails , :grin:

this is stupid , right after our economy gets smashed it will all blow over like the other - more serious ones have , perfect example of media trying to control the world - because they cant control trump , what a crock - i hope everyone that paid full price for everything they hoarded to feed this stupid event realizes they just spent there rent .................on toilet paper , i bought some beer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:57 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Finally ! Someone else that likes Spam, I was beginning to think I was the only one.
Fried in butter, sprinkled with cheese, put on toast with mustard, the good German mustard.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:35 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I like Klik, which is a slightly leaner, beefier Spam clone. Love it fried. Enough meat oils in it that it can go into the pan dry, and not burn. Prefer fried to crusty brown with raw cooking onions. That makes quite a sandwich, and a nice quick omelette...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:23 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i like spam , have difficulty with the wife - as a navy brat she got fed too much of this and MREs as a child , my FIL was a frugal minnisotan , he never turned away free food and with five kids to feed i dont blame him , but much as i today resent goulash and boiled cabbage as well as haggis , we grew up as we grew up it made us what we are today , ill not force upon my wife what i would not have forced on me ,

as a youngster camping spam was normal , i eat it when im alone camping these days and do not talk of it - we have no MREs in the garage unlike my MIL who will never give hers up ,

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:41 am 

Wifey got everything on her shopping list yesterday but milk & eggs. I stopped at the gro on my way for a hike with flop ears, and they had some - limited quantities, of course. I grabbed 1/2 gallon of the pink lid skim we usually get and an 18 pack of hen fruit @ $4 for everything I had. They had TP - limit of one 4 pack.

No worries for us there. I had grabbed a 30 pack before the stupidity started. A guy in the next lane had his 4 pack & the checker asked another the price.

I don't hear well, but I *swear* she said $16.50 Well, that would really put a dent in hoarding! Wifey got frozen bread dough yesterday & we'll try it old school for a while.

Interesting times, indeed. SW

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:47 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Spent most of last night removing tables and seating from the food court at work.

We are not closing~ just preventing people from gathering en-masse as much as we can. The food court vendors are gonna remain open for now, and all will be on a strictly take-out basis.

Did catch a bit on the noon time news that healthy people who contract this bug recover in about the same time-frame as the common winter flu. The danger appears to be to the elderly, and those with pre-existing medical issues.

I am hoping that we get through all this, and wipe our brows with a better safe than sorry attitude...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:43 pm 

Sounds a lot worse in Europe. I was told by the usual suspect French soldiers are manning major road intersections and turning back those without "sufficient reason" to be out.

Major outages and ques at all stores, too.

It would really suck to be in Salt Lake City right now. On top of the virus messing up life, there was a 5.7 earthquake there this morning.

Wifey's niece is taking her older son there for his new job. Hopefully he still has an apartment and workplace. SW

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:27 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

sorry to hear that - missed in all the rest of the crap i guess ?

still wondering why none of this happened the last few go-rounds , not real into black helicopter theory but still have them fly over the house and know they exist , wont be happy till the press gets theirs in this mess

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:18 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

You guys got it whipped. Here you can't get anything. Lucky that the lady and I stock up, remember "one is none and two is one" theory. We have enough supplys to last several months. Just a problem with dairy products like half and half, she uses it I take black.
We are kind of expecting Gov. Fat Ass to order shelter in place by Friday for 1 week to 30 days. I'm getting some feed from reliable sources of this happening, most have been put on alert. Okay by me, and wifey need a vacation from the rat hole anyway. Just don't try to remove me and mine from our home, now that will get very ugly.
A friend who doe ammo remanufacturing is having a hard time getting bulk components, he shipped to one store in the north part of state 173,000 assorted round in one week. He's been working when he has components 14 hour days. most of the gun stores and big box stores are out of ammo and firearms are in short supply.
Other than that it's all quiet on the corn field front.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:22 am 

Of all the concerns I might have, ammo is the least. I could still declare war on Uganda. ;) SW