Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: i hate changes ...sometimes anyway ...No II
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:05 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i thought life was supposed to get simpler and more relaxing in retirement ????
i may be getting to be more curmudgeonly than i was when they dubbed me the young curmudgeon of the family , and perhaps its only fitting now that the 'general - he was the general in charge of a base in idaho back then , bruce , has passed on , i liked being second in command of that tittle because he WAS the leader when i met him in so many ways , we both enjoyed the ceegars , burbon and beer as well , i miss him a lot , but i digress ....i think he would have joined me in my recent complaints , it gives me some footing for my indignation at this entire turn of events ,

sorry for the double post i was intending to come back and add a footnote -
bruce and i met back in the early ninteys , he had recently retired from the army - he was in fact a real general and had all of the attributes one might immediately call to mind regarding someone that had achieved the rank ,
i was bringing his favorite niece home for his mothers her grandmothers , 93rd birthday , he was reserved to say the least but cordial enough , that first evening [staying in his home BTW] he waited till the womenfolk were occupied putting the younguns to bed and asked me to join him on the patio ,
i was prepared for a grilling ,
he first asked if i would like a cigar ? i said yes very much as id not had one for a couple days while traveling and trying not to become an outcast and he gave me a raised eyebrow i took as acceptance , he then asked if i would like a spot of bourbon and when i accepted he actually seemed to smile - a little one mind you - but i was sure i saw it , we sat there and slowly talked of childhood/upbringing/education and eventually got to politics ....i just stayed myself at that point because if he was not gonna like me i was sure he had already decided that ,
about four hours later , after our ceegars were gone and we had made a good dent in the bourbon bottle he sorta turned and asked if i knew what they called him in the family ? i sheepishly said i had heard a rummer ...he added that the source was most likely his favorite niece and i confirmed , he said he was the "old curmudgeon" because he had to be the level head for so many that seemed to have misplaced theirs in the family , it took a week among them to fully grasp what he was talking about but he was correct in that very simple description of the circumstances ,

i said something to the affect that it was a lot to carry but someone had to do it , he turned to me with a real stern look and said "i like you , you are the young curmudgeon" , i knew i was accepted at that point beyond anything i might have gotten from anyone else - i actually dont recall anything else in that vain that whole week , but i did overhear him telling others of that commission and my wife told me later he had told everyone including her , i have always worn it with pride even though im a long way [in miles from that part of the family] from carrying forward his command ,

this night , and the night in 1972 when i had dinner with the future general of the army and surgeon general of the army [i obviously did not know that then] at my college roommates wedding are a couple highlights of my brushes with the military , meeting my FIL commander george and having him like me was just as important tho ,