Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Everest
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:34 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Watching a movie about it just now. Pay $65,000 (then - or as much as 125 grand now) for the privilege of freezing a limb off, taking a swan dive down a bottomless crevasse or becoming a permanent landmark on the mountain when you die of altitude sickness or the other things that kill people up there? No thank you, please.

Sherpas make big $ hauling oxygen bottles, food and climbers that can no longer climb due to frozen extremities. There's a lot of junk up there, too. I understand there are measures in place for expeditions to clean up after themselves, but I have doubts how effectively that's done. Nepal makes BIG money from expedition licenses.

There are other peaks within sight of Everest that are even more hazardous - K2 and Anna Purna, to name a couple of them. But there are long lists to make the climb, even though there's no guarantee you'll summit.

I hiked (no actual climbing with ropes) Laramie Peak in Wyo - 11,000' - and that was plenty for me. But it was a nice day, and we could see forever. Cost? A tank of gas from home to there and back. (We can see Laramie peak from here.)

Even when I was young and in shape, Everest wasn't on my bucket list. Plenty of other people want to go, though. SW

Post subject: Re: Everest
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:19 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Last article I read on it cited some fairly serious problems with human ( #2 ) waste up there at the last camp before the peak.
Fairly certain it was Nat Geo Mag rag I read it in.
Garbage and litter are a problem at the lower altitude camps.
Same article had Nepal imposing a moratorium on access.
I suppose if your pockets are deep enough....

Personally, I wouldn't want to try. Still have a bit of fear of heights, but work has "cured" a lot of it.
There has been some quite stunning photography done on the mountain- especially by the earlier expeditions.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

Post subject: Re: Everest
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:51 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

ya , this would never have been on my bucket list - there are other things but they are warmer and there is oxygen available without a tank ............so that eliminates deep dives as well