Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thoughts on cold weather
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:33 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

We had a blizzard last week, snow from which is still deep enough on streets that people regularly get stuck. More on the way right now. Round 2 just started with snow and strong wind. 3 to 6 inches accompanied by high wind, the weather guesser sez. Sounds like fun!

It didn't bother me so much when I was working. As an engr, I pretty much only got cold leaning out the window when switching in the yard so I could see hand signals from the cond... who was the one freezing his butt off.

It did get chilly when I was home on the ranch. Being an old school cowpoke, Dad fed cattle from a sled pulled by a team of 4 shaggy nags. On the days I helped with that, we saddled up and rode out where the action was taking place. But that was life then, and I didn't think too much about it.

He and I fed cattle one rank day, and I was complaining long & loud about how nice it would be to warm up in the house. He wasn't any more comfortable than I was, so we finally finished and into the house we went.

I thawed out and changed coveralls. "Where the xxxx are you going?" "Well, it was duck season, and I'd seen fat mallards on the creek. "I'm getting ducks for supper, Dad!"

He had several things to say relating to me being too cold to work but ready to go hunting. It's a perspective thing, I guess.

The perspective now is that I'm not used to being cold, so it seems extra nasty when I go out. Made a gro run just now for things to make clam dip, and man, it seemed rank! Must be getting wimpy in my old age! ;) :bigrin: But before I settled in for the storm, I dumped out more birdseed. I'll take more out in the morning for them - they need it to survive.

Adding to the perspective angle is people like Doc who live where they have cold weather worthy of the name! Like the high for the day being -20f for days at a time!

Okay - I don't have it nearly that bad, so whine mode off! :lol SW

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on cold weather
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:36 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

well , we had a bit of +30s preceding this cold snap - much as i hated shoveling the wet snow , i hate this bitter cold and blowing dry snow more , moved 4" today and its filling back in and supposed to be blowing wildly tomorrow while it falls , i would choose different ,

i know we dont have it as bad as many but im sick of it right now , below zero , wind and snow is not my happy time , had our range X-mas party tonight , everyone made it but some were late due to the driving conditions , had a good time and got home safe , glad im home and not planning to go anywhere tomorrow , probably have to move snow again , but im not leaving home ,

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:01 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Hit minus 29 Celsius last night.
Plenty of snow here too.
I'm at the point where I can't take it like I used to.
End up paying for it later with sore joints, but I'm probably preaching to the choir here.

Used to hunt in this stuff when I was a kid, and about all we got was the occasional bunny wabbit- if that.
Flip side is the shortest day of the year is now over, and daylight will start getting longer, beginning tomorrow.
Another 75 or 80 days of this, and I'll be back out at the gravel pit tuning up on 12 ga hulls with the air guns.

I really don't mind the cold that much, as long as there's no wind involved, which is rare for around here.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:47 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

well , im with you my friend , its brutal cold , i did move snow [got about four inches overnight] my hands and feet got so cold it took over a half hour to get comfortable again , even then my arthritis is leaving me with pain i never used to have , i have finger joints that are distorting , swollen , achy , no fun

and i lied about leaving home as i got sent on a mission , wife wanted grandkids here for a few days so i drove 45 miles to get them in blowing snow and icy roads , everything went fine for me but i saw a couple unfortunate people in the ditch , probably overdriving their vehicle capability or their personal abilities , either way its costing them a few bucks and ruining their schedule for the day ,

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:10 pm 

It was -14 yesterday morning... -4 right now so at least the temp is moving in the right direction. It's supposed to be above zero for a few days now.

Since it wasn't so bitterly cold, I fired up the snowblower and made a path on the walk in case us or the neighbors get mail today. Dumped out more birdseed since they cleaned up every tiny particle of what I left yesterday. Also added a few crumbled cookies for extra calories.

The squills should enjoy those! "Chores" are done so time to warm up and be lazy! SW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:45 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Nowhere as cold as you guys have it (low 20s) but this freezing rain sucks.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:00 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

supposed to get into the low 30s late this week for a few days - nice reprieve from the sub zero but its also supposed to rain which equals ice , we dont need ice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:20 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Friday before Christmas we went down to Kilmarnock and Deltaville VA,
it was chilly, I do not recall the temps, mid day in Kilmarnock on the Northern Neck, (about 5 miles from the Rappahanock River)

Deltaville is on the finger of land (middle penisular) where the Rapp and the Piankatank river spill into the Chesapeake Bay,

weather buoy maybe a mile or less from where we were said water temps of 44f, wind 85 knts, and a low of 11f that night,

did not get much warmer Christmas Eve,

lots of pipes froze up here and there, including the ones in the condo my Mother owns in Norfolk,, (no damage thankfully, it was under the condo)

fortunately, the wind just blew, for the most part,
no damage at my Brothers from the wind,
no damage or debris at my house

and the yard at my shop was full of branches and twigs, but nothing hit my truck or van,

or the buildings,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:23 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

sunday we had 8" of fresh snow , then monday we had 3" more , ive had all i want for a while

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:42 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

got a good rain storm this evening,

while today started out cold\cool and sunny, by mid afternoon is was warm enough to not need a jacket and gray,

rained good for about an hour after the wind blew thru after dark,

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:58 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

w4e are getting rain now - mixed with snow , not a common jan development and reall irritating as it results in ice , ive salted my walk [i hate doing this as it pits my concrete but i hate falling more , so far no falls here , we are getting too old to be falling on the ice , last year i spent a couple months recovering from an ice fall that resulted in cracked ribs from a fall on my outside steps , i dont want to go thru that again ,

i hate the snow and all that goes with it but i hate rain this time of year more - i like the thaws we get . just not the rain ,

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:40 am 

Another blizzard just arrived here & it's snowing a lick as I type this. We stocked up yesterday so no need to even leave the driveway.

No traffic outside so schools are doubtless closed again. Which is fine. I'll mess around and fire up the snow blower later this morning.

Global warming? Ha! Al Gore is an idiot! SW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:28 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Where pushing or pasted the 200% snowpack totals out West this winter & still got more incoming to bunker down in & watch before it all finishes. :pop: :indk:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:29 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

so we got the warmer weather and with it rain - thus ice , not fun but its been warmer , im ready for spring but we got a couple months of real winter left yet ,