Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Belated Return of the Walleye
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:57 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Sturgeon Creek has been incredibly high all summer. Water's gone down 4 ft- it's got another 4 ft to go to be at normal summer level. Lake of the Prairies/Assiniboine River and Souris/Mouse Rivers are keeping the creek backed up way high. For the Assiniboine water shed, this is a once in 300 years occurrence.

That 5 lb walleye pictured is going to make a nice supper. All I can say is it's about time. It took a blue/white Len Thompson spoon- a lure that I had never caught fish on before. There's a first time for everything , I suppose ;) Made my day, and I hope to see more like this...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Post subject: Re: Belated Return of the Walleye
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:26 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

'high' is a word we all know well up here , glad to see you got dinner , im looking forward to it soon , fall is my fishing time - summer has become shooting time ,

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:00 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I've been on holidays the past 2 weeks, and I've spent every day down at Sturgeon Creek. It's right here in town, and only a half hour drive away from my front door.

Odd arrangement of your seasons there, A Square. To each his own ;) Fall see's me doing both, sometimes even at the same time. More than once I've taken ruffed grouse with a walleye on the line. Big excitement that way, and sometimes complicated. That Whitemouth R. is good for doing both at once.

Here's from Wednesday night:

That's the biggest bull-head catfish I've seen in my life. From Sturgeon Creek. Plenty of channel cats that size and up, but that brown bullhead is a first for me. I think the master angler's award for Manitoba bullhead is 5 lbs. This one was 15 on my cheep little zebco scale- and it gives readings a bit on the light side...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:29 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Lookin' good, Doc! It's dove season here... if there were any doves around. They have pretty much left already. Saw two this AM, and that ain't worth buying a license. SW

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:31 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Thanks, Hogger!

There may be a shortage of doves, but (!), be prepared for a late, bountiful duck season. The canvas backs and mallards have brooded TWICE this summer. I think that has everything to do with weather, and high water. I've never before seen flightless ducklings in early September. Long range forecast is for an unseasonably warm fall.

As to the creek:

Ten pound channel cat taken on a nitro worm tonight- my final day off. I caught another on a silver lure spoon- quite a bit heavier. I had them break my line twice last night, on artificial plugs and jig heads- another first for me.

Back to work tomorrow. I'd rather be at the creek, but we gotta eat something else besides walleye and northern pike :P ...

Grouse season opens in just 12 days :grin:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail