[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Opening Night!

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opening Night!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:04 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

well, no huge buck on opening day, but had great hunt that night! while sitting in my stand I noticed all the areas that had been rooted up in front of it, as well as the area around my feeder. Sun down, moon up time to change species. Went back to camp, ate a little bit, changed gear and weapons. put the .243 up and broke out the SKS Paratrooper, recently scoped and sighted in with some PCI ammo loaded with Hornady V-max 123gr. headed out back to the stand which is on the south end of a 20 acre meadow. as I skirted the tree line, i could here some rustling and grunting in the trees, so i stopped, moved closer to the trees and just as i got ready a large body made an apearance about 30 yards in front of me. moon was bright enough that i put the x-hairs just behind the ear and squeezed. the V-max did a number, he went down and never moved. large amount of blood pouring from his mouth and nose.

Post subject: Re: Opening Night!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:51 am 
The Butcher
The Butcher

That's a nice one.
Brgds, A

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:21 am 
The Knife
The Knife

More sausage or is that the one you also got the yote off.

And a belated :prty:

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:03 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

nice work not to mention meat , kinda nice to be able to switch species at nightfall ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:43 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:40 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....birthday???...well if I'd known that I'd have sent the Forum Birthday Lady's seester your way for a birthday kiss(I think Forum Birthday Lady has been kidnapped by fr8dude :crzy: :rotflma: ).....so I called seester and she sez she'll be headin out your way with her new huntin' britches to give you a smooch and help warm you on your chilly huntin' nights... :jmp:

464_1162_popup.jpg
464_1162_popup.jpg [ 171.04 KiB | Viewed 8354 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:30 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

Looks like someone is not keeping up with the birthdays.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:25 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:52 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

bet gettin a lot of them curve balls lately - nice to see some pleasant curves for a change

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:48 pm 
PFC
PFC

Deer Season is open in Virginia as is Elk (open as long as Deer season) Quail and pheasant also open This time of the year will see me in the state Forest watching hunters

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:25 am 
The Knife
The Knife

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:43 pm 
PFC
PFC

Herr Messer My compliments to your Brother He has an eye for beauty He lives in one of the most beautiful areas of our Country The Shenandoah Valley.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:35 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

There's Elk in VA??

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:08 pm 
Grand Pooh-Bah
Grand Pooh-Bah

Elk are making a comeback in the east. Years ago before I left Kentucky, there was a small population of elk that had been re-located to the eastern part of the state, and as that VA borders KY it was inevitable that they would cross the border like a bunch of (well I shall bite my tongue here). Before I left there was even a very limited number of tags that were raffled off. $ were non-refundable and too steep for me to even consider.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:20 pm 
PFC
PFC

I agree fr8dude, and I am not really sure when this migration actually began As I said I have been a Conservation Officer for about 5 years and I'm still in the learning process. I do know that there are at least 3 counties that prohibit hunting Elk I personally cannot bring myself to kill this beautiful animal. I do hunt bear, duck and small game The Mrs and I go down to my friends place near Lexington. He has a small herd of cows and a gopher/ground hog problem They dig their burrows and the live stock step into them We take the handguns with us and pot those critters He and his Family always treat us like visiting royalty(dinner and a place for the night) I helped him get his C&R two years ago. Just be sure of the hunting restrictions when you hunt in VA They may differ from county to county in some ways.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:27 am 
The Knife
The Knife

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member