[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - It was tempting...

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It was tempting...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:17 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

We went to the ranch where we have permission to hunt. I dropped LarryBob off at a small creek he wanted to hunt & I went over to the landowners to shoot the breeze. He's a retired C&NW railroader & we have mutual friends from back in the day. So we yukked it up for most of an hour ( I speak good ol boy). I told him LarryBob was hunting the creek & he laughed. "I ain't seen a turkey since the 1st of December!"

Seems a neighbor 3 milles away bought some steers and was feeding them grain. The turks got wind of that and moved in en masse. So we shot the breeze some more & I excused myself to go find LarryBob. Which I did - half frozen. I laughed. We drove over to the specified place and there were at least 300 turkeys!

Up to the house we went to ask permission but no answer. There was a running pickup by the shop with an old dog inside. Nobody in the shop. I walked over to the hired help's trailer & no answer there, either. Rats.

Before we left, I did get a pic of a few right by the house. It was tough to walk away from turks that close, but it wasn't worth burning bridges. All the credibility we had built up ( another rancher lets us hunt, too) would be gone in a flash if we had shot. So I took the pic and away we went.

Crow butte 036 (1024x683).jpg
Crow butte 036 (1024x683).jpg [ 313.18 KiB | Viewed 4998 times ]

On the way back to the highway, in a wheat field, we saw 50 - 75 rooster pheasants. Darn unusual! My take was that they had been in a 'pay to hunt' place and it became too expensive to feed them so they got booted out to fend for themselves. Pheasant season is over. I figure they will mostly wind up as bobcat & eagle food.

Crow butte 038 (1024x529).jpg
Crow butte 038 (1024x529).jpg [ 406.16 KiB | Viewed 4998 times ]

So nothing to remove the feathers from tonight, but it was a fun day. SW

Post subject: Re: It was tempting...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:43 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

you got photo proof of what you witnessed and larry got to hike a bit , all around a good day

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:02 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

.....aaaawww c'mon.... :roll: ...all you hadda do was say they attacked you-and you were in fear for your life :-o :str: :jok: so you fired in self defense...!!!

:crzy: :rotflma: :grin: :grin: :grin: ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:03 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

they do look threatening :kap:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:19 pm 

I 'bout got one this morning out in the buttes. Took il mutt out for our short hike. On the way back, there were at least 50 right in the middle of the road. Half a mile from a residence so no shooting. But I put spurs to Shep the wonderDodge & sped right into the flock.

Tail feathers twanged my radio aerial but they all got away. It was a legal move. No shooting from a roadway, and I has the license to possess the deceased lurkey. Dogbreath was all revved up to do her part and pounce on a wounded turk.

Close but no cigar. SW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:58 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Too bad on the lack of shooting. I know how it feels. Pearl and I drove into 20-25 Sharptails sitting by a no-hunting sign. Coulda swore at least 2 stuck their tongues out at us while we passed by. :att:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:47 am 
Corporal
Corporal

to bad you didn't stumble upon this when they were in season

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:17 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i once got a rooster pheasant the banked off the windsheild of an 18 wheeler , came to rest on my hood , pulled over and threw it on the floor in back , made a very nice suprise supper ,