[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Skitties

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skitties
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:25 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Your's truly with a decent sized pussy cat :lol

38.5" :-o :-o :-o :-o
Caught at the dock at Selkirk on July 9 about 18:30 hrs.

Frozen salted minnows were the charm here.
She's tagged courtesy of a University of Nebraska, Lincoln, tagging survey...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

Post subject: Re: Skitties
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:31 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

thats one nice channel cat , lots of good eating there and no underestimating the fight to get her in

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:44 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I (ahem) don't eat them- so it got released back into the river. Cats that big are always egg-bearing females- in my somewhat limited experience....

The flavour is far too strong for my tastes- but, my great grandparents made, and gorged on, a lot of deep fried cats- both channel, and bull heads. (I couldn't eat their deep fried fishies either- despite the appealing appearance)

I can post up a link to last year's Red River channel cat survey results- if anyone's interested...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:49 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

"River Monsters" Winnipeg style! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:02 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:04 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Almost 4 years later, at Selkirk again.
There is a video of me fighting this 30+ lb-er
on face book. If I knew how to transfer video I would drop it here. About a 12-14 min fight, and again, my shoulders are still sore.. :bigrin:
I could do without the expanding waist line.... :roll:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:04 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

something tells me you and i weigh in about the same , im not bragging just only once in my life did i get a bit of weight - it was short lived - divorce does that to you ,

im thinking you need to visit the south here - they would telly you how to prepare those cats so they appeal to your pallet , thats a nice fish ......i gotta start fishing again ,

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:52 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

From Sunday at the dock in Selkirk. I actually caught 5 big cats ranging in size from 20-35lbs., all on salted minnows.

Mooneye from the same place. 1st cousin to the Goldeye. If I had a smoker and a place to use it, I'd be keeping these...

Between my sister and I since the opener, we have caught only 4 walleye big enough to keep. That is what we are targeting with the minnow bait...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:05 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

yes a smoker and id be in for that , a bit fishy for my taste otherwise but im always up for smoked horseduvers of well smoked ...even carp , which we are required to destroy , great pickins ,

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:57 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

Catfish= fillet,batter, deep Fry! :jmp:
Coleslaw, French fries, hush puppies and BIG glass of sweet tea.... :kap: :kap: :kap:
Marc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:32 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Another big channel cat at Breezy point. I have actually lost count of the cats over 30 lbs that I have caught this summer, and I'm not even targeting them...
Fish in this pic is about 20-22 lbs.

Walleye bite is slow and sporadic, but they are moving into the river. Water temperatures are finally starting to drop from the cool nights we've been getting...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:10 am 

Fried catfish and cole slaw! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:45 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

spent a week with a very good friend recently , he and his southern illinois family used to fish "kentucky lake" annually for catfish , much as mine did in iowa the channels and blues were the favorites - yes some where huge but the eating fair ran 2-3 lbs and fit the skillets , cant beat it properly prepared and ive eaten some of the best walley-trout-crappie-brim-pike but i still look back fondly on my southern roots

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:58 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

There's your photo enthusiast with a nice fall channel cat from the Red, right here in town.
These have an amazing colour at this size...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:13 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

still my favorite catfish to catch and to eat , they do have great colors