Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: An expensive hunt
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:23 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Stopped for gas early & the local game warden was also filling his truck. Saw deer feet in the air & walked over to see what he had. I'm not above mooching a fresh road kill if it isn't tore up too bad.

He allowed it was part of his evidence in a poaching case. Seems some bonehead shot 6 deer and posted pics on fakebook. It should come as no surprise somebody ratted him out.

The game warden said it would be at *least* a $12,000 fine plus permanent revocation of hunting privileges. That revocation applies in neighboring states - possibly nation wide.

I really don't have a problem with someone whacking a deer if they eat it, but this was wanton slaughter & the idiot fully deserves whatever he gets.

I told the game warden, "Good work!!" & he seemed to appreciate it. SW

Post subject: Re: An expensive hunt
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:00 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

im in sync with your thinking , there are some that might survive on an occasional deer or live without meat , i have no real issue there , no need to play commercial hunter these days - get a job and pay for your groceries if your going to kill so many and brag so much , 12k thats gonna hurt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:59 pm 
Major
Major

Georgia is one of 27 states where it is legal to pick up road kill. I guess one would have to know just how fresh it is. It is estimated that over one million deer are killed by cars every year.

You do have to report road killed black bears.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:56 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

im ok with picking up road kill - we have to go thru the sheriff here , i know there is a list of those that will retrieve them that the officials have , i agree - be discriminating but nothing should go to waste if there are those that will benefit , way to many turn up in the median after the snow melts - ya the carrion eaters get some but they cannot keep up - if there are so many killed this way every year are we really managing well ? maybe the hunters could reduce this issue - i would rather they did ,

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:17 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

In the early 1970s, when my travelling band was up and down the interstate highways, there was a dead critter every mile. THEN the gas crunch came with 55 mph speed limits all over. The road kill dramatically disappeared. I don't remember how long that speed limit lasted, but it was a boon to the wildlife.

Bern

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:39 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

really ? i did not notice a change in that era , i was traveling a lot then but not maybe as much as you or the same time periods , majority of my encounters and those i know are back country roads at low speed - still messes up your vehicle , my most recent was at 7:29am at about 30mph - she charged my vehicle and i could not quite stop in time