[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Finally Some Eaters

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finally Some Eaters
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:27 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Excuse the crappy phone pic. :roll: :roll:
Nice walleye and pike from the mouth of Sturgeon Creek
Both were caught after sundown.

It's been so long since we had fresh caught fish in the house.
I fried up about half of it for me and Mrs. S. tonight. :bigrin:

Looking to do this again before ice-up...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

Post subject: Re: Finally Some Eaters
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:55 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

fine looking catch , half ? so you will get two great meals from them , a good days fishing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:34 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Great catch! I was just reading an article about using big bait to catch big pike! ;) :bigrin: SW

camera3.jpg
camera3.jpg [ 131.21 KiB | Viewed 5687 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:32 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I have actually seen that in person:

A 3lb pike swimming up against the current in Omand's Creek with another 3lb pike in it's jaws.
They will strike against anything that moves when hungry~ including each other.

I don't recognize the fish in the photo- a red fin small mouth bass?

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:47 am 

I'm not sure. I lifted the pic from a Russky site, so it could be an Eastern Euro variety of some sort. SW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:29 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post sun-down bite again. It doesn't last very long- about 25-30 minutes if I'm lucky.
Feed times seem to vary- anywhere from 19:00 to 20:30 hrs.
These medium walleye are hitting hard, and there's a bit of hyper excitement getting them landed ;) :bigrin: :bigrin:

If the weather holds, I'll try again Friday evening.

There is another feed time in the fall- about 02:00 hrs., and it lasts a bit longer- almost an hour.
That is awfully hard on the internal clock unless you are working nights, which I did for over 35 years. I can't seem to get up the steam to get up in the middle of the night to go and fish now.
Maybe next week I'll give it a try, but I ain't expecting much out of myself, or the weather...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:54 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

the pike 'bait' looks a lot like a perch to me , great walleye catch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:54 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

sorry for the double post - fat fingers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:44 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

First eaters came late this year.
Water's finally low and clear enough to catch fish in.

There's sis trying a few casts at Hazel Creek.

There's a nice 5 lb pike there.
I caught 4 of them, all in the 3-1/2 to 5-1/2 lb range.
Good supper last night.
Will probably freeze the rest- there's another meal there.
Pike are very good eating out of this spring fed creek.
Water's very clean, and extremely cold- about 45 F.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:08 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

looking good ,

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:53 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

never had pike,
fished a few ponds that were loaded with them, one we were told to fish as much as we liked, but be sure to kill any pike we catch

was told they are bony,

caught a big mess of crappy, bream, and a bass one day, brought them home , cleaned and fried the first batch (used the camp stove,, did not want to fry in the house)

wife came out and got the first batch, I loaded up the fry pan, and when she came back for the last batch, she had the same plate,,,

she ate the first batch while I was frying the second,

she is about as big as a minute,, but loves fresh fried fish

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:40 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

the meat is great eating , one has to clean them with some care as they have lots of tiny bones that are irritatin , there is a method out there that gets you clean eating and its well worth the effort , dont keep the big ones - the smaller are much better eating , that 2-4 lb range is best firm meat and very good eating ,