[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Fish mock me!

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fish mock me!
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:03 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I've been seeing walleye where I take the dog to run around and do her biz in the morning. Already had a rod & reel - stopped by a feed & seed store for a few extras for Dad's tackle box.

Made a few casts with a plastic minnow = no fish. In fact, walleye seemed to be mocking me. Made an epic cast... got the lure halfway back to shore and what looked like a walleye jumped close to where the lure had landed.

Another smaller one followed the bait up to shore. Sat there watching while I retrieved the lure right in front of it. Must not have looked too appetizing.

I did buy a bag of plastic minnows packed in something that's allegedly appealing to fish... hopefully fish got the memo on that.

It's been over 30 years since I've fished - caught a couple throw back bass then. So my fishing mojo is rudimentary at best. I'll keep trying, though. SW

There's actually a walleye in the pic. It was swimming away & I just had time for a quick snap.
walleye_LI (2).jpg
walleye_LI (2).jpg [ 651.14 KiB | Viewed 1971 times ]

Post subject: Re: Fish mock me!
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:40 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i just got home monday from our annual opener weekend on cass lake - exceptional trip , we limited out by midday each day and resorted to pan fishing the afternoon away , limited out each day on sunfish , bluegill all in the 10 to 12 inch range - resort had rules that anything 13 and over went back in , we also limited out each day on crappie that were 13 to 16 inch , i have a lot of fish this year to share with my wife ,

we had way more than enough saturday to feed our crew and the cabin next door as well as eating some leftover for breakfast sunday , the weather was tollerable , much warmer than usual but way windy , had a couple showers - double rainbow on the lake , watched the eclipse and saw the blood moon , also saw the long straight line of lights that traversed the skyline at about the same time - said to be elon musks satellite array , sure looked like it could cause a 1934 type panic , but not all that many saw it - all were looking the opposite direction at the moon event ,

we had a short crew this year but we more than made up for it in the average size of the fish caught , the law reads one over 20" in possession [as a trophy] our caught fish averaged about 22" with the large one caught at 26" , we threw back more than we kept - nothing under 13 nor over 20" kept , we ate everything that was under 15" ,

all in alll a great four day weekend

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:26 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Haven't gotten out yet.
Water's still awfully high and fast and dirty here.
May have to wait another week.

Walleye can get awfully fussy this time of year, especially in water that clear.
I would try again with frozen salted minnows if you can get them, or night crawler earthworms, and just still-fish.

I've taken some surprisingly good sized walleye on an old, small artificial minnow.
It's the old single piece body Cabela's original pattern in brown and gold.
The walleye like that one retrieved slowly....

I hope to get out soon.
It'll probably be for pike, until the water settles down and clears a little.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:57 am 

I meant to try again this morning but too windy. Then we're supposed to get snow and frost tomorrow. But like the Terminator, "I'll be back!"

Thank you very much for the bait advice! I need all the help I can get! SW

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:53 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

When all else fails, a 4" Mr. Twister Nitro Green (Chartreuse) grub behind a pink/white 1/8 oz jig-head will entice them. Those grubs replicate the swim action of a leech fairly well, and seem to work for most of the season. Attention must be paid to getting the grub straight and up-right on to the jig's hook to ensure proper action...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 2:33 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

interesting that you mention high water , we got 6 1/2" the day before i left , the river had risen to cover my lower back lawn when i left a week ago , well over a foot deep on most of it , im sure it was in my shed , its back to bank full now , i have a lot of sand in the yard and a few trees on the bank , but i lost my cut wood for this summers fires and most of the debris i cleaned from the lawn ,

when we arrived at the lake last friday [i went north to fish ] it was below the support joists on the docks by about an inch - the next morning it was half way covering the 2x8s - lets call it a 4" rise , a lot in a lake that size that feeds through lake andrussia that is also large which we primarily fish the exit of , we are talking a lot of water headed south from here this year very much like the one that made national geographic in the 90s , its been clear here since i got back but scheduled to rain overnight , already started - we shall see what we get so far light ,

one thing about up here , even when we are in a drought we got a lot of water if you know where to look for it