[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Quit wondering....

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quit wondering....
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:51 pm 
Captain
Captain

:P

Bushi posted;

It sure would be nice to see a picture of something, a moose, a bear,a caribou, or maybe even a ugly musk ox. HINT !!! HINT !!! HINT !!!

Soooooooooooooooooo, for those who care, or are mildly interested we present them all;
A Moose
who wouldnt get out of the road...he has broken tines, lots of fur laying around and his bad attitude....we wonder just how big the guy who KICKED HIS BUTT was.....he was posturing and stomping, shaking his head around and slowly advancing on us...5 shots in the air and he still took his sweet arrogant time leaving the road...

A Bear...
That we watched a friend nail, as we drove up on them as they were stalking him....front row seats :D After his shooting, we then helped him track in the deep brush, till I can apon 'em and called the Bear hunter over to finnish what he started..."Out with a 'Bang'"

A Caribou,
That Dave caught, after being teased by so many carcasses in town and antler piles on private lands.....we had to travle far on 4 wheelers to get to public lands, as boating wasnt working out...But it sure did work out!!!!

Some chopped off heads with the tounges cut out for dinner and then tossed....Daves only words were "Why??!!??" :thud:

And some UGLY Muskox....one BIG bad Bull 's harem.....lucky guy, if you only mate once a year :P
By town they are

And the final result of all "Meats"...an Eskimo woman and her Ulu at work

8) Image

Last edited by ehailstone on Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:15 pm 
Captain
Captain

I donno....
The way she butchers down animals, and I'm taliking skinning, breaking down, deboning (Those are the ribs in the picture) are all done with an Ulu, and it seems to be hardly 'Work" at all, she gets it done so easily.....though shes says "Let the blade do the work, you just show it where to go" and she can have an entire carcass in the freezer with in an hour....

Dave complimented her with cooking up Chicken fryed steak tonight, with mashed up Potatos, Spinach and gravy :P

I got to sit back and post..... :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:10 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Good times!

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:46 am 
Captain
Captain

Yaaaaaaaaaa.....
Bushi, your bro is having fun.. :D
Dave came up on a self hunt, as you only need to have a guide when you hunt Grizz or Sheep. We checked all the laws first, and got him to public lands, as native owned lands are around the village. Not too hard a ride, above a place called "Old Glory" and in the shadow of "The Ass's Ears" but certainly not at all as close as I can hunt to the village. I caught one later in the day, and that was quite a chase, as I busted his arm and he still went a few miles before I caught him....
He got here right before the Caribou started "moving", bunching up and travling East to all the tens of thousands of Female Caribou who are comming South from summer on the North Slope. We still had a couple days before we crossed paths with Meat.
Im no hunting guide, and since we hunted as friends, and exchanged no $$$ he got to see a village from the inside, and daily living, BS and all. ;)
Its been great having him stay.
He also got a full dose of the family, close up, as we are living inna very small house for a couple more days, and then moving down the road, so maby next year he wont sleep in the kitchen!!! :lol :lol :lol :lol

All in all, I never heard him comlpain, even after being coup'd up for a week straight, waiting for the ocean to calm, so we could travle by boat, and never got around the first point :!: ...... and he makes great Fryed steak. :P

Last edited by ehailstone on Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:34 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Nice photos . As to why you toss the antlers, you can't eat them and there is nothing on them to make broth. That is why I have been hunting does.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:36 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

You guys did great !!! I know you had a blast this week. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:56 pm 
Captain
Captain

Ya know, I think the best day we had out was when the wind wouldnt die.
During a relitivly calm time, early in the morning, we left the river and immediatly ran up a sand bar. Me and Dave took about 10 minutes getting it floating again, and soaking wet in the process....We carryed on however and about 5 miles out the wind came back up and the oils sensor was on...Soooooo we had dumped some oil in a jug of gas and ran fuel from it, and went for a clam spot in the lee of the point.
We thought it was a rather large beach, because the tide was so low,....and it looked as if a Caribou was strolling down the beach tward us. We secured the boat ,tinkered with anything/everything that would get us moving again and got the sensor to go off.
Also, in that time, we noticed that it was still moving but not any closer. I walked on down a ways and saw that it was a stump end of a tree washing up, so I walked back....and the boat was grounded :lol
Oh well, no Caribou, and were wet and grounded. Start a fire comes to mind and we did, and it actually took 2 trys with gasoline to do it, because the few pices of wood at the tide line were all damp.... and as boots, pants, socks and jackets dryed, it bagan to snow, so I took a nap in my sleeping bag:D
I woke up to a white world, snow every where, and falling. After I added wood to the fire, ate something, talkd with Dave a bit, I went back to sleep.
Later, when I woke up again, it was most all melted, and the tide was finally turning.
We bailed out a bit of water , as the bilge has died, and got moving .
We went to Kougruk lagoon and looked at the mountain side from the boat. The tundra up there was no place to chase animals, and I explained to Dave about sticking with the boat and the low tide areas.
Its best to be waiting for Caribou to swim across, but we saw none. I was wanting fresh meat.
Saw Muskox way the heck up the mountain and Seals, and Jim hunting Seals with his boat. We pulled to the side, betwen the usually hidden rocks and being low tide, we didnt hiot any, wich is always a danger in that Lagoon.He had a nice looking RingSeal, and by the boats we talked away a cup of coffe. The tide was comming in so we decided to "Git"
Jim went out ahead of us , and we gave him plenty of time as we were having motor problems again.
There we were, floating around but we were busey and solved 'em. Soon we ended up sailing on nice smooth rollers going our way, back to Deering, with nothing.

That was a good day. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:43 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

It sounds like it was busy fun, crazy day. :grin: By the way he got back home bettween 7 and 8 this morning. ;) He called me and told me all about the great time you all had while he was up there. ;) He said the hunt was great. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:35 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

neet - now im hungry --again