[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Wyoming Trip

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wyoming Trip
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:53 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

Sorry dial uppers as there are a lot of pics.
I left for wyoming on the evening of oct 29 in order to get through Chicago without a lot of traffic. Stopped in Souix Falls the next evening and had a wonderful supper of elk backstrap with baked tater.
After stopping for the night I slept till daylight so I was late enough to stop at cabela's for a bit. They had a Romanian VZ 24 that had the reciever top hit with a grinder for $150 and if it had not been ground I would have gotten it.
Got to the property with just enough daylight to get the camper set up.

Opening day was next morning and I was not set up to hunt so I got up late and went up the hill anyway.

Didn't see anything then so set up my blind.

That afternoon and saw one that afternoon just about dark but it was a little forkhorn. Took this pic a few days later.

On the 2nd at about 8am I got the first doe.

About ten am on the 3rd I got the second doe.

She happened to have twins.

Talked to my wife on the phone that day on the way into Sundance and she said that I might as well get another license so I got another. What a wife eh!!!!!!!
Saw some a couple days later but I had gotten down to take a leak and left my rifle in the blind. It was about 3pm thursday that I got the third one.

I wasn't thinking as I had moved this one before I took the pic and forgot to show the rifle as I used a different one. The first two was gotten with a 270 wby on a custom built FN action and the third was gotten with my rem 760 in 06. first one was at 179 yds. The second was in pistol range at 47 yds. The third one was the farthest at 290 yds. That is as close as my range finder said..
Sure is a job typing all of this with two fingers.
On wednsday morn the rut sorta started as I saw one buck with about a 24" spread down at the neighbor's water tank, then he was off following a doe. That same morning this 3 pointer, western count, came up by me.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:05 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

super trip , thanks for the photos , almost like being there [not quite]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:19 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

Photos are great but are never like being there.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:20 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

......... :-o :-o :-o ......I am envious of your entire experience :-o :-o :-o ..........and the time you had to do this in ;) ......great pics...!!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:44 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:49 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:09 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:56 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:47 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Cork
My original was to build a second story with windows to hunt out of but run out of time and money on the visits. In one of my older posts I had a plastic blynd set up on top but the wind blew it off.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:16 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

now that looks like a comfortable way to hunt , but i see your point on the exposure - the popup makes sence :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:19 am 
The Knife
The Knife

I have a heater and a office chair for the blynd. It is very comfy.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:03 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

that would be my kinda hunting - much like my ice fishing criteria :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:02 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

The hardest parts for me to keep warm is my hands and feet and the feet are the worst. If my feet get cold I am done till I can find a place to get them warm.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:32 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i have that problem as well , nothing so limiting as the cold feet & hands syndrome , anymore it doesnt matter what gloves and boots eather - i just have to plan on it
ive developed a bad case of raynods [sp?] over the years that effects my hands even on cool summer evenings anymore - so winter really gets to me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:50 am 
The Knife
The Knife

I bought a pair of boot blankets at Cabela's and used them for the first time on this trip and they seemed to work.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member