[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - last hog hunt

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: last hog hunt
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:14 pm 
OUTLAW

thick close quarter hunting "tusks".

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What a Ride Image

Post subject: Re: last hog hunt
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:38 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

Lots of pork. In the 4th pic is that hogs or the dogs back in the brush?

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:35 pm 
OUTLAW

both!!!.the young boy(matt) in the pic killed that hog with his knife :-o .must be a texas thing.the other hog took a good hit from a 444 265 gr sp and kept going.those hogs are pure tough and mean.
I didn't get squat.I had my marlin 45/70 but never got a shot at one.real thick hunting on that ranch.I picked up a 44 mag trapper and that long barrel marlin isn't the answer in the thick stuff.I think we going back in oct when it cools off a bit.
pete

new 44

250 gr keith lyman 429421

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What a Ride Image

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:41 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Nice looking 44. Is that a winnie and what is the barrel length? SS?

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:16 am 
OUTLAW

puma win 92 with a 16 1/4 inch barrel in SS.light fast handling and pretty accurate with those cast bullets.
16.0 grs 2400 and those 250 gr swc's are clocking 1356 fps out of that stubby barrel and no leading.the bullet mold is a orginal lyman keith design with square lube grooves.I picked it up off a trader board to $35.00 shipped :D.they shoot good in the ruger also.I think they will hammer a pig no problem.
pete

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:23 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

neat - looks like a lot of fun , and good eating as well , thats a very nice looking rifle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:36 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

It's a Texas "Thang" Brother 8-)

Man that was a good time with you, Josh, and Matt.

I think I had more fun being run over by my hog than killing it.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:25 pm 
OUTLAW

the ground pork/chops were excellent :D .I gotta try that sausage next.
falmike is in the top pics.I will let him fill in the details on stabbing his hog.this was matts very first hunt and he had a blast as we all did.
if y'all haven't hunted hogs your missing out.
pete

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:44 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

So there he was, the hog that is, backed up into a Cedar Break by two hounds......There I was, 10 feet away, on my belly with my 629 getting ready......The guide tells me to let him know when to call off the dogs....I say yeah, and wait for a shot....The hog decides he doesn't want to wait for me to have a shot and charges straight at me.....I'm thinking lots of things right about now, primarily "Will TX Pete's Cast Boolits perform as promised?????
As I say a VERY short prayer and start squeezing the trigger, the dogs decide I am stupid and need help....This of course does nothing to deter the hog from barreling straight at me......so, finger off the trigger, tuck arms in front of face, try to roll out of the way, and watch this hog go right over me, stomping both forearms as he goes....please keep in mind this all started from 10 feet away so though it seemed forever to me, it really went by quickly.

So there I was, rolling on the ground doing nothing but saying "Oh my God" over and over...The guide, who had dove for cover, runs up saying "Oh my God, Dude do you need 911?" And then I just can't quit laughing and blathering that that would have been such a You Tube moment!!!!!

Anyway, the dogs just wouldn't let up and we finally got the hog up in some brush where couldn't run, the guide gets on the tail and kicks the legs out so I can get in and stick him. All told, that was the most fun I have had with my clothes on in a long time!!!!!

Thanks to TXPete for making the stalk possible.

P.S. I think this was the only time Pete has EVER heard me say "thank God that hog only weighed 150." The bruiser we spotted first was 250+ :-o

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:49 am 
OUTLAW

:lol :lol we had a blast.ol mike has some sand to be "sticking" pigs with a knife.not me too beat up and on blood thinners for that stuff. :lol
really looking fwd to the next hunt with my buds.
pete

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:23 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Sure sounds like it was a lot of fun.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:32 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Being with Pete, Josh, and Matt is what made it the best! What's the point if you can't share the experience? :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:36 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Well it looks like you will be getting a couple o' new pig stickers there tomorrow Mike :lol

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:40 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Oh yeah! The M44s are for my two boys.

Yeehaw!

Thank you again Sir

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:14 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Dude,

Man you sent a sweet pair of rifles!

I can't wait to see the boys faces.....especially when they are cleaning off the Cosmoline :D

Thanks

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:42 pm 
Captain
Captain

Most excellent!

An unforgettable time and food in the end with the kids along :bigrin:

I havent hunted Hogs and Petes right, I AM missing out!

Weve been camped awhile, getting all Caribou'd up...but our Ox seaseon is on the first of this comming month.....I'd best beg borrow or steal a camera :P

Keep 'em comming guys.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:33 pm 
OUTLAW

hey chip I hope you find the camera I just love the pics you post.good to see you around again.
pete