[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Ox hunting again :D

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ox hunting again :D
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:16 am 
Captain
Captain

Been waiting a bit on weather and Muskox season t o coinside, and make our way home.

Weve been working up a load of dryed meats and Hides , as Caribou are prime for clothing now, and the wife has interested folks with $$
The pastor gave me a camera, so Im in the picture taking business again!! Yeeee Hawww. Hell its not quite as good as the fact that gas has dropped to a mear 4.47$ a gallon now. Thats down from 7.85$ a gallon last week!!!
The wife noted that wed save about 44% in $$ savings, and I said "Hell NO!....Its 44% More gas!!"

We nailed about a dozen good Caribou, with short shiny black hair, giving away the fresh meat and drying what we couldnt give away ,and in midwhile berry picking, and repairing our outfit.

A couple days befor Ox season started, Wolves jumped the gun and just didnt wait.....~~LOL!!~~

Well today started out kinda gloomy , so we didnt leave untill after lunch, and after landing the boat and moving up the cliff above them, we sat and looked 'em over till we figured two that were up to our spec's......then the Ox all turned into the breeze, moving at "Ox Speed", about as fast as they eat, walking along.....
I alsop dressed for the occasion, by wearing my Belgish' Cammo pants...makes almost invisible, ya think?

The Ox in the forground were "doable" but the wife and I settled on a Bull a bit further along the hillside, and Brett wanted a BIG fellow that was walking along the water.

Well, it was time to get our "Ox-on", but Bretts pick was thinking that he'd just mosey out to sea , much to Bretts amusement....untill he'd spent about 10 minutes there, and we started yelling to get 'em moving.
And my pick mixed in with his buddies.....

Bretts pick had made it along the beach, half in the ater, past our little ridge and I was watching the fellow I wanted move up the hill, leading a few other fringe bulls up.
I was suggessting that he wait to shoot untill I reposition up the slope a bit for my shot and he wait for his pick to follow up the herd, OFF the sand and onto grass, where the Ox were moving up in line
Then he answered a bit loud "OK!" and took his shot!!......
W T F ?!?!?!
Ooooooooo Kaaaaaaayyyyyy.......
Well the pack parted, with some streaming off ,"slowly"(that's an understatement) down the beach and the other half picking up pace on the uphill trot, so I took my shot, as he lead the way up.
She got the picture just as he dropped and slid about 10 feet down the slippery slope, turning the Ox below back to the beach.
You know, onew shot, 3rd neckbone back, 40 yards, M-39, czeck LPS dose it as I know it will :D Total bone blowout and not a second thought for that fellow...

So the camerawoman/wife kept on snapping away, as we did a quick check for life and proceeded to get them taken apart....and this guys ladys didnt want to go, much to Bretts growing concern..~~LOL!!~~
Brett had the cure for all the sand, however...

And in a few short hours, the meat is hung, the neck is strip cut to dry, the hide is streched on the beach, and the head buried to get the flesh to rot off quicker.
The choice innerds and tounge are in our freezer and so will much of this, as the days go by and put them into fdreeze and then we haul our freezer home :D
All in all a good hunt so far, these last couple weeks, with just the wife and I and still theres the trip home :D

Post subject: Re: Ox hunting again :D
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:31 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Sir,

Thank you again for a wonderful story. What a great way to start the morning.....A good cup of Coffee and an EHailstone hunting adventure. :D

Please keep it up.

Mike out

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:39 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Great report Chip. Out of curiosity what do you use the hide from the ox for?

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:45 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I always love seeing these photo sets, and seeing those mosins too!

██ █ ████ everything ███ █████ is █████ ████ ████ fine ████ ███ █ ██████ love. █████ ███████ ███ your █████ ████ government.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:53 am 
Colonel
Colonel

I still love the fact that scopes seem to be not allowed with you folks! Long ago I gave up on the scopes to retrain my old eyes back to the rifle sites all because of you!!

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:36 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Chip

I love reading these stories!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:49 pm 
Captain
Captain

Glad you fellas like it :D

That Ox is now my Bed, Rad, and itll be so warm this winter :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:15 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Do you use that to sleep on or is it a cover? Do you have to use more than one as it doesn't seem like it would be big enough.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member