[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Big Brown Bear

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big Brown Bear
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:18 pm 
Captain
Captain

Well, weve been hunting as we do, and last week the wife was able to catch her first Brown Bear.

Usually were very happy with one, and I have stepped aside a few times toi let a son take the meat making shot, but I already had caught a FAT young fella, we spotted this guy digging in a creek (dead moose frozen unde layers of ice we later saw) so she told me she was gonna catch this fella.......

What else to say but "OK?!"~~LOL!!~~

So we approched from above and I satrted yelling as loud as I could, and sure enough, he came up and outta the creek to have a look......would that qualify as "Calling 'em in??" ~~LOL!!~~ more like up and out of the creek.........

So I was filming and trying to tease but it got fairly serious when she put two in his neck, and one a running shot.

He hauled down the creek about 75 yards and ran outta blood..........

Apon disssassembly, we found she had passed the shots just below the spine completly removing the Arteries that lay along it and the gush was as good as a Heart shot for sure.

Shes 5'2" so either sitting at his butt made her look small or him look big, but he is longer than my snowgo, a longtrack Arctic Cat Bearcat, a bit over 10 feet long.

We doubt hes a record, but he's certainly worth the keep, and were gonna get 'em tagged and measured as soon as we can afford gas to go to Kotzebue to the FnG, 'cause they dont come to us.......120$ in gas,RT, what a pain.......

Post subject: Re: Big Brown Bear
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:25 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

so , i gotta ask , even if i dont want to know ........... what is that hanging under the right handlebar ? i think i see gloves in the center of the seat below them , but that 'other' thing kinda made me nervous when i started reading

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:45 pm 
Captain
Captain

That , there, A-Square, is my wipe rag ~~LOL!!~~

These wet days of freeze and thaw brings out the hard work, sweat and cold all in a moment, often at once.......gotta keep them gloves dry and wiping those hands can make or break a hunt.
Them glove you spy are the extra to the extra we carry, like spare socks and layers of jackets and sweaters. Thats why you often see me in a "Day" in different clothes, as I have work clothes to take the stains, grease oils and the warm stuff thats either shed or on, depending on the work and the temps.

That Bear will soon be a bed for a couple of my daughters, and a warm too :D

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:38 am 
The Knife
The Knife

I was wondering if it would be for a bed.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:50 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

then im relieved - it looked like a leg & boot - i was dreading the response ,

but now im happy again :D

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:48 am 
Captain
Captain

~~LOL!!~~
It does look like Im hauling people parts around, dont it?

That towel leads to the wifes goggles, we always wear a pair when we ride, and she had tossed hers on the board so I would not lose it, just hold it with a foot, a common thing whan hurrying along.

Bears can look alot like a skinned man, its strange.......

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:49 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

hi ya ed........
long time no see~ i haven't got on the computer much lately. i see the snow's still holdin up there! nice bear, i still have the claw you sent me~made a dang fine injun necklace :-)
i have plans to make some flinlocks outta some walnut i cut lately....but it'll be 5 years or more from now, as the wood is fresh and wet...

say, how come you guys can shot bears with out scopes and magnum rifles???? seems all thge bears down here have very tuff hides, and the folks need magnums~ :lol

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:53 am 
Captain
Captain

Thanks Cork n Kaintuck!!

Im getting better using the camera, Ive gotten 4 good shoots in this spring, but two are Geese hunting. This was the best I took......Hope I can format them for this place, there some good shooting of Guns going on, with falling objects all around.....

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:04 pm 
OUTLAW

chip was that your M-39 finn ??.what ammo were you using.
pete

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What a Ride Image

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:12 pm 
Captain
Captain

That was the wife shooting her '42 VKT M-39 with Czeck light ball, Pete.
Her first Bear.
I have the Sako, but was shooting with the Cannon (LOL!!!) :P
I wish I had a better set up, maby it was just frozen, but it wouldnt take a close up or focus, so when I shot her standing with 'em, I had to focus by walking back and forth till it was clear.
Cameras and cold dont go together very well, but it got the job done.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:07 am 
Captain
Captain

The Trooper from Otz and a state biologist from Fbx swooped in together, unexpected like, and measured the wifes "Grizzly" skull. Pared down, and not much left for shrinkage, no lips, gums or cartalige on the skull base, to the bone and "offically" measured like 3 times, its 24 7/16ths sq., and with a hide mesurement of 10'-41/2' squared.

Made Boon & Crockett's "24 All Time"

Kodiak, They said that big bodied Bears dont always have Big Heads. The head is a bit wide and short ,he said as well.
He said to that the legs being an inch longer than the body wasnt common, and that this guy had room to grow yet, as his teeth were young and still perfect. Not many scars on his hide either, so he either just intemadated others or was a solitry roamer.
He said too that being a Spring Bear fresh outta the den he would easily have been 300lbs fatter in Fall time, after a Summer of Salmon munching.

Trooper told me the big difference from Arctic Grizz from southern Grizz(and Brown Bears) is their time spent in the den is time spent burning fat and not making it. They den up 6-7 months some years.
Arctic Grzz just dont get past 9ft they said and thats why they took a big interest and came to see for themselfs. He said he thought he was gonna "Call my Bluff" but ended up getting his picture taken with it~~LOL!!!~~ The big body was VERY fat, and with this guy being so sucessfull, his body outgrew his bones, like any fatman.~~LOL!!~~

They took a tooth and will let me know how old it is.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:25 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Congrats on making the book with that bear. It's a good thing she didn't hit him in the scull, might have messed it up.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:34 pm 
Major
Major

A Bear?
I was sure you killed King Kong!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:55 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Fantastic bear and pictures! I bet your lady is proud!