Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:48 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

First time I've tried to post a (possibly) funny story before.

Before I retired, I worked for the PO for years and years. Much of my time I spent dealing with business mail customers and their accounts. I did all kinds of things, such as revenue protection and many others.

Business mail customers often mail using permit imprint postage rather than actual postage stamps. Mailings with permit imprints must be entered into the mails via an established acceptance procedure. This ensures that the PO receives the correct amount of payment for the mailing and that the mail has been prepared properly to be eligible for work-sharing discounts claimed. No money is paid by the mailer until they go through this procedure. Once their mail is accepted, they make a deposit of money to pay for the entire mailing. The main benefit of permit imprint mail is the mailer doesn't have to buy, stock and affix actual postage stamps. Stamps are the equivalent of money; permit imprint indicia are nothing until an entire mailing is accepted and paid.

Sometimes, we'd find permit imprint mailings that had simply been dropped into a mail receptacle and might've by-passed the acceptance system if not detected. Costing the PO money from unpaid revenue. When this occurred in my area, it was my job to contact the mailer about the discrepancy.

Okay, that's the background so the following makes sense. One day, a bundle of imprint mail was brought to me. It was a mailing from a church; many of the non-profit permit holders used this method of postage payment. When dealing with non-profits, usually these attempted by-passes were made by volunteers who meant well but didn't know any better.

In any case, I had to contact the mailer which was a protestant church in a neighboring community. The pastor of the church answered the phone. I outlined the reason for my call, and I was surpised to hear this Holy man's response, which was, "Well, sh*t happens."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:47 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

im not as surprised as you , in collage i worked for a catholic architect [notre dame grad] who was key in most of the local church/convent remodelings , it was amazing how foul thing got in meetings - money brings out the best/worst in even the holy ,

and then there was all the socializing that came from the close dealings , lets just say things get interesting behind closed doors ,

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:34 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...at least he was honest..... :rotflma: .....I'd rather have someone that way than a Jim and Tammy Fay Baker :jok: ....or worse yet- a Jim Jones..... :-o :Ahhh: :str:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:40 am 
Feldmarschall
Feldmarschall

My son is studying for his MBA. We take a week-long road trip together from time to time. On one such lately, he took some of his materials along to study part of the time we were on our trip. One recent unit of study had to do with marketing psychology, how to alter people's behavior to want to do a certain thing. One chapter in a book my son was reading was all about Jim Jones and the thought process that was behind convincing most of those people in Jonestown to drink their Koolaid voluntarily.