[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Reloading

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

If you reload, why do you reload?
To save money 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
For increased accuracy 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
Can't buy the ammo 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
All of the above 74%  74%  [ 26 ]
Total votes : 35
 Post subject: Reloading
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:39 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I used to reload just to save money, but now that a certain someone has me addicted to these old rifles that you can't buy ammo for, if I want to shoot them, I have to make my own ammo. :D
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:19 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Dave, way back when - my buddy Herbie and I would load up all the empty cases we had for my 357. Go out Saturday morning over on the prison grounds - shoot all the rounds, go back to the house, eat lunch, reload, and head back out for the afternoon. 'Those were the days!!' I was much younger, then.

This year at camp, we need to go into town - have a pitcher of beer and eat a meatball hoagie or two! We'll have to find a place similar to the Posthouse to do it though. We just hired a rookie, and should be getting another one soon - if the gov and his bunch of bandits can settle the budget crises. Which means, I'll have seniority - back to hunting the first couple of days of deer season this year. AMEN!!

"We must train and classify the whole of our male citizens, and make military instruction a regular part of collegiate education. We can never be safe till this is done." --Thomas Jefferson to James Monroe, 1813.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:30 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

im hoping to start but so far id say all of the above if asked why

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:50 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

I started out reloading when I got my first deer rifle and I am in the process of making a wildcat so had to go with all of the above.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:43 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:24 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

HeHe,thats part of the fun Dave-TR

Rome fell because it had a Senate-what will become of us with both a Senate and a House-Will Rogers

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:38 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

"OH BOTHER!" Exclaimed Pooh as he hurriedly worked the bolt to chamber another round.

"Yes, this is certainly a failure to stop situation." Piglet commented nervously.

Post subject: Re: Reloading
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:56 pm 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

I don't actively reload...yet. I am gathering equipment and studying up on the subject and they are all reasons why I am getting into reloading.

ImageImageImageCharlie...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:59 pm 
International Man of Mystery
International Man of Mystery

I started reloading for my Dutch Steyr Mannlicher because the ammo was hard to get and expensive over here.
Now I reload for several reasons.
Most important reason is...I like to reload. :D
Then I have my two BP rifles, the Swiss Vetterli and the Dutch Beaumont.
I have to reload for these rifles, because the ammo can't be bought anymore.
Then of course...I reload for my Mosin Nagants for two of the above mentioned reasons.
1) For accuracy
2) To save money

Main reason still is the fact that I like to reload.
I think it's one of the parts of my hobby that I like best.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:49 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Strange as it may seem, I want to sell my K-31 Swiss since plinking with GP-11 ammo isn't as much fun as 7.62mm by 54R and my Mosin. I know my reloads are probably as much or more per round as GP-11, but there is no pleasure from it or sense of accomplishment that my hand loads give me.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:56 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

so now i am , handgun/rifle/shotgun , primarily my cowboy action ammo , but am working on the 45-70 rounds for my sharps long range as well

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:04 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Black powder for the 45-70? That round just sounds good. I'm relatively scared of black powder, but I don't mind smokeless.

I do mostly rifle and pistol. I'm still learning, which I don't mind. Unfortunately, I shoot a lot of non-USA stuff, which needs reloaded as commercial ammo is too expensive or hard to get. I even have cases for 7.62mm by 54R. Someday baby gets non-corrosive ammo.

I must not do too bad. My reloads are better than my surplus rounds. I still crush cases when I roll crimp, which makes me a fan of the Lee Precision crimp die.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:19 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i'm loading smokeless for everything , i don't like cleanup after shooting black

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:27 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Clean up scares me too. Corrosive ammo is bad enough. I recently cleaned up after black powder and I never saw so much crud after 10 shots. Smokeless is relatively clean, unless its corrosive east block stuff. I think they ground up political prisoners and made them disappear into a batch of ammo. This would explain the crud.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:01 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Reloading is stress relief. I reload for everything I own except for the K-31. 2 cases of MILSURP says don't go there. Black powder is its own world and does require a little extra attention. I'll try to use it when I start on my 45-70.
Citizen, you just haven't really tried to find the Zen of roll crimping. You must try harder.

"We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat; they do not exist"
Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:27 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Still reloading my centerfire match ammunition (means I got nobody to blame but me :oops: ) and most of my other reloading (right now anyway)is in .38 spl. because I can't find a 158 grain bullets preloaded. My old S&W's seem to prefer the 158 SWC.