[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - M1A or Garand?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Which one would you rather own?
M1A 33%  33%  [ 18 ]
Garand 53%  53%  [ 29 ]
Neither one. I'd rather work a bolt 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 55
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:28 pm 

Garand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:36 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

I guess I am sort of an odd man out as I don't have either just my mausers. If I would get anything that worked automatically it had better be full auto.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:24 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

polytechs are getting up there. I've seen a couple at the past few shows, and both were over 850

NRA life member
583rd ORD Co/59 ORD BDE
Handorf FRG 1988-1990

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:26 am 
PFC
PFC

Post subject: Re: M1A or Garand?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:15 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

You'll just have to send me the 99f in .308 to keep your calibers to a minimum :bigrin:

There was no option in the poll for both. I actually have both & one of my Garands is chambered in .308

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:55 am 
PFC
PFC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:27 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Just a tad too long for the old lever.

I have several now in the following calibers

.303 Savage
30-30
25-35
32-40
22 Savage High Power
.300 Savage

Always looking for th ever elusive 38-55 at a good price

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:39 pm 
PFC
PFC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:25 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It's a takedown too!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:36 pm 
Major
Major

I have a Garand and it is. I would like an M1A simply because of the extra capacity and simplicity, but as previous stated the Garand just feels right. One thought, do people get M1 thumb with the M1A? I got "Hakim thumb" once. Lots of fun. :lol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:38 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Nope. Once a new mag is inserted, you pull back on the charging handle & let go.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:52 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Actually, for a semi-auto, I like the SAFN best. Since I"m left handed, a Garand doesn't work too slick for me. Had M-14s in the service and liked them fine, but there are features of the SAFN that really make it shine for me. Like the cocked indicator for one. And toss brass? Woof! But I like that. SW

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:04 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

They are super sweet rifles! I only own 2......for now :lol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:08 am 
PFC
PFC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:34 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Yeah.....I kinda sorta have to rub it in sometimes :lol

But hey look at it this way......I don't have one in .308 ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:40 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Garand all the way.
I've owned one Garand, a basketcase I spent some time but suprizingly little cash in rebuilding.
When I finished it though it just didn't feel right.

When I first got it the bore was pretty much shot out and caused excessive pressure signs. I lucked into a lightly used Matchgrade stainless barrel for 40 bucks, and a friend supplied everything else I needed for his parts bin and did the rebarrel for me.
Problem was the original early war barrel was much lighter than the replacement, and I suspect much lighter than most Garand barrels. The rear ring of the gas tube left a wide gap on the original barrel but fit tight on the replacement barrel, leading me to believe the original barrel (a Springfield i think)had a much slimmer profile than the average GI barrel.The rifle had weighed at leasty a half pound less than any other I've hefted, probably closer to a pound less.
The Receiver also appeared to be much lighter.
I ended up letting that rifle go because the balance and feel no longer suited me.
Only way I'd want another is if it had the same lighter weight receiver and barrel.
Still every Garand i've held felt far better to the hand than any M1A I've held or fired.

One day I'd like to get another GI Garand and also build a Custom Garand with Laminated stock and in 7mm Express (.280 Remington) caliber, maybe a ventilated handguard but otherwise stock. Perhaps with a quick detachable swing over side mount, though the standard rear sight is fine for my purposes.

The Enbloc Clip has advantages when firing from the prone position.
Not only can you hug the ground better, it requires a great deal less movement to reload. You can fire the first twenty from an M1A faster but once that mag is empty shucking the empty and digging the spare out of a pouch takes up enough time that in expended firing the Garand quickly catches up and surpasses the box mag in number of rounds fired in the same length of time. All with much less movement on the shooter's part, which results in far quicker return to firing position and quicker target aquisition.

Be nice if someone began manufacturing a clone of the Original Garand .276 10 shot design. Stainless steel and synthetic stock would be perfect for that design. Chamber it for the 6.8 remington and they'd sell a million easy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:07 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Garand, it's the real thing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:07 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:40 pm 
OUTLAW

my picks
1. M1
2. socom II

both have a place in my safe.I like the socom as it is short compact and 20 rd's of blast like a M44 :lol .I am very impressed with the accuracy of my stubby 308.
pete

5 RD group @ 50 meters as the G.I.'s at fort hood were shooting their M9's.
throw the flyer out and its not to bad for the first time out with it.

not my pic but this is how short it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF932wj8-nw

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What a Ride Image

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:16 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

gotta love them short ones :D