[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Kentucky Flintlock by Ardesa?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:38 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I picked up a early imported Kentucky Flintlock I believe to be made by Ardesa of Spain. I got it cheap for $60, So I figured for that kind of money it would ma a good wall Hanger after cleaning up all the rust and tarnish, unplugging the touch hole and a lot of steel wool inside and out. and after cold bluing polishing I took it out and loaded it with 65grns Black powder and priming the pan, it fired beautifully. even with a large flinch with the large flash in the pan because of too much priming powder I hit the target @70 Yards everytime. but now I tried using Allients Black MZ but using Goex's FFFF priming powder. fired everytime. and Cleans up nicely[/img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/145722694@N07/[/img]

Last edited by shootster on Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:50 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Careful! These are addictive! ;) Great price on your starter! SW

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:06 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

you need one of kaintuks - they are the real . american made , example of what is a truly american arm , the way they were back in the day , but im all for any choice you make - long as you post photos for us to enjoy with you ,

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:39 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

been trying to post pics, I just cannot figure out how to post a pic. my wife has tried and neither of us can figure it out. so I managed to post a link to see it but not a good photo. I need to sell some to buy another gun. been out of work for surgery. going back next week under light duty. would love to by a really nice custom gun some day.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:08 pm 

If you loaded pics from your camera into your computer, it's easy. As far as pics from a phone, I'm not sure how that works. SW

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:14 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

it came up for me in your link , i like it - nice rifle , great price and congrats

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:47 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

finally, here it is after many tries.

Attachments:
DSCF Zack&Kentucky.jpg
DSCF Zack&Kentucky.jpg [ 108.72 KiB | Viewed 9330 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:38 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

well I took it to the range again and it shoots very well considering the bore is rusty with small pits the whole length of the barrel, it shoots about 8" high at 50 yards maybe it will shoot lower at 100 Yards it does fire every time though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:07 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Well I have to say I thought Black MZ was not corrosive, But IT IS. Maybe It takes Longer, But it Has caused Me Some concern. two Of my Muzzle Loaders have corroded after a mild cleaning. I do realize it took about a month to develop corrosion despite cleaning and lubed afterwards.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:21 pm 

Yeah, most of that stuff is to some extent. You will hear different "proper" ways to clean a BP rifle - I like hot, soapy water with mucho scrubbing best. And several dry patches to remove moisture - then an oily patch. SW

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:28 pm 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

You got it right, Hot soapy water it the best way I have found. I am getting lazy as I get older, so I started trying other ways to clean, I guess it good enough for field cleaning first. then Hot, Hot, Hot soapy water.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:08 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Yes, hot, soapy water is good. I have a cleaning solution given to me by a friend that seems to work pretty well. Then there are those barrels that no matter how much you clean with conventional methods it just won't come clean. That's when I break out the foaming bore cleaner!

"We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat; they do not exist"
Victoria 1899