[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - 45/70 Springfield trapdoor, Anybody know about these?

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:16 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

You can get factory ammo that's safe for the trapdoors, look for stuff for the cowboy action shooters. I had some that I shot in mine, I can't remember for sure, I think it was PMC. They have some good smokeless powders that are good for blackpowder firearms, 5744 is one.

As for price, depending on what kind of shape it's in, it can go anywhere from 400 to 2000. The bayonets can go from 75 to 150. Just in case it's a trowel bayo, you won't want that, let me know and I'll send you my address ;) I haven't seen too many at gunshows around here lately, but those are prices I've seen and seen people pay in the past couple years.

I've been thinking lately of getting another one myself

NRA life member
583rd ORD Co/59 ORD BDE
Handorf FRG 1988-1990

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:19 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

You'll see Rem ammo that says "Safe for all rifles". I roll my own with LEE 500 gr spire points that I cast from wheel weights

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:28 pm 
Major
Major

You will pay almost $2 per round if you buy commercial. If you cast your own from bullets, you will be able to shoot for 12 cents a round, once you aquire some brass. The value depends on the date/model, and of course condition. The 1873 model is worth more than the 1888 type model.Good condition but with obvious wear and pitting is about $600. A pretty clean one with a little rust and limited wear would approach $900. Then real clean shiny bores,good cartouches would go near $1400. Bayonet could add $75 to $150. You want to go easy on these old ones if you are gonna shoot them. You don't want to split the old wood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:35 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i envy you all three of those are on one of my lists, not at the top because of cost but they are on them.

if nice, i would make every effort to secure these, you don't get this opportunity often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:41 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:09 am 
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Grab it, they are getting more scarce. As for ammo "most" commercial ammo is safe, stick with Rem. Win. Fed. Do not use any reloads you might find at a gunshow, or the corbon or Garret hammerheads, these are loaded to higher pressures which that gun was not intended for. It was designed for black pressure loads and the standard commercial ammo is made to replicate those pressures.

If you do start reloading for it be sure to use loads for the trapdoor Springfiled only. Most reloading manuals show 3 levels of loads for the 45-70 , the upper two being for like the 1895 Marlin, then the highest being for single shots like the Ruger #1, new 1885 Winchester high walls, these loads approaching the level of the 458Win Mag. Bottom line if you reload, be careful, you do not want to blow up, damage this old rifle or hurt yourself in the process.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:37 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

i got a 1873 rifle that i load with cast 425gr (lyman457124) and trailboss.
i mix w.w with pure pb @ 75-25 ratio. :twisted: :duel: :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:24 pm 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

shoot some loads around the 1100fps range...500gr lead.
after about 25rds.....you will know it anyways :crzy:
these old gals have metal buttplates, and if 500gr going at 1100fps ain't enuff for your target.... :ow:

besides....they are more for slobering on than shooting.......cool factor X 10!

kinda like:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:38 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Don't think the carbine's rifling was meant for the 500 gr. Now the 1888 was. It still 'thumps' pretty good. Not sure of velocity as I don't have a chrony but I 'crunch' a full 70 gr of BP into the case :lol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:37 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

i think you might be right bruse....405's in the carbine......my 1888 rifling has 3 grooves, can't remember the twist, but it like400 and 500....as long as they are 5thou over! :ow:
it would seem also,it has no freebore....so i have to have my shoulder of the bullet encased, so just a roundy looking shell......but i shoot 3031 in 1100-1200fps anyhoo.....when i do shoot the ol gal~

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:28 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

The 1888 was made for the 500 gr. After they did the "sandy hook tests" they determined it had the best penetration at distance. Of course they were lobbing them in at 2000 yds + :-o