[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - old rusty rifles

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: old rusty rifles
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:17 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

I need several old rusty rifles for a research project!
If it works I would like to have firable rifles upon completion.
Any ideas where I could pick up a couple.

survivalist

Post subject: Re: old rusty rifles
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:15 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

no , not really , but ill look about , this sounds interesting , would you care to expound or are you thinking of a pattentable idea ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:41 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

No secret.
I am a member of the surplus rifle forum.
A young man there posted a procedure for derusting a gun .
I tried it on a 71/84 Mauser and it works!
I want to try and improve on it for a friend in Texas who is getting guns from the huricane.
So I want to try and do it big enough to be comercial for him. If I can do it I will send him the info so he can build the equipment..
Could also be used on some of the old fire finds I think.
Again I would like to try it.
If in the process I can get a shooter rifle out of it so much the better

survivalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:15 am 
Major
Major

I would watch out with fire finds.

Heat can de temper the steel leaving you with a accident waiting to happen.

GG

Old Thor ain't got nothing on me.

Gungrubber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:58 am 
Major
Major

Tread lightly...once metal has been eaten thru, it can't be replaced. A rusted and pitted chamber is not going to be made well by derusting. As Asquare says you have to be careful with firearms subjected to heat. The steel looses it's temper.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:35 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Take it easy on me guys.
I have been doing stuff like this since I was 12 and now i'm 71 so I ain't no mewbe.
The process if it will work will save a lot of guns that otherwise would go to the junk pile.
It works now but I wanted to see if I could apply it to a comercial situation and not require a lot of space,which is at a premium in all of the gun shops I know of.
Right now to do one gun takes about 10 hours and about 15 square feet of floor space.
I want to get it down to about 3 square feet and maybe 8 guns at a time.
How many times have you seen a gun you would like to have but there was rust and you turned away from it?

The process the young man on surplus rifle .com used works great.
I have used it on a couple of old 71/84 Mausers that were complete rust buckets.
They now have clean bores (no pitting) and are clear of rust on the outside.
It doesn't even ruin the blue job.
It isn't my process as it belongs to him but I wanted to develop a comercial application.
To do that you have to be able to show that it works.Therefore I must try and do several old rust buckets at one time.
As I said if I get a good shooter out of the deal so much the better for me and the idea.I ain't gonna kick a gift horse in the mouth.I ain't that dumb

survivalist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:21 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I have a couple M.95 or M.95M barreled actions I'd donate for a C&R copy + postage. They are pretty junky. One is an 1898 Budapest but you talk about RUSTY!!! :-o I consider it a complete basket case. Could it ever fire again? Possibly. No C&R for that one. SW

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:52 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i dont think its so much that we were thinking you were not knowledgeable as it was vocalising our thoughts on what you requested ,

im speaking from a noteable lack of knowledge when it comes to metalurgy but a small amount of experience with rusty firearms and a few that were exposed to a fire ,

im all for a proceedure that works to mitigate eather or both , and if i can help id be delighted , but i suspect we are all at a level of concern here lest we be caught up in a leagaly compromiseing situation , i hope this works and ill check around for you , and my best wishes with this effort

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:13 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:36 am 

Sure! I gots a couple others for the fellow who started the thread. It's a complete POS ( Pride Of Spain ;) ) but there is no 'S' on the receiver ring. No bolt - no stock - sights are still there. A gen-u-ine basket case!

I'll scare up a mailing tube & get it going today. The price? Nuttin. :bigrin:

You're serious about wanting it, right? SW

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:51 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Yep Sir!!!!

I kin use the sights & if'n I can reverse electro-plate the bore, we'll see how much rifling is left. Heck may even make it a 3rd 8X50r LR in the fold. I already have the stock fer it :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:17 am 

All righty then. I'll get it out today sometime. Ummm... it ain't a long rifle - it be a stutzen.

BTW, do you happen to have a metal lathe in your shop? I need to turn down the muzzle of a cut down M.95 long rifle a few thousandths. Some schmuck shortened it, and I hope it was because of a bulged barrel. 8x50R & still has a shootable bore.

Anyway, I want to add a K31 front sight & make my very own ultra-rare Budapest Pioneer's Carbine. ;) SW

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:20 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I don't :?

Try contacting riceone, he loves taking on all sorts of neat projects (and he does excellent work) :D

Edit: You can send me all of your junky old savage levers with the M95 action.......to save on shipping :rotflma:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:39 am 

Well... I send-um you Savs, you send-um me Kalashnikov, Kemo Sabe! :jok: :crzy: :rotflma: I is down to one 1899 Sav & who knows how many boxes of 303 Sav ammo. Sounds like fair trade to me! :P SW

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:52 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

You-um want chinese, hungarian, bulgarian or romanian ???

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:12 pm 

I like-um chinese but MSG bad for bowels! :-o :rotflma: :crzy: SW

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:31 pm 

O-tay, Fearless leader!!! Lo & behold, it was right where I thought it was. It was everything I recalled... and less. 8-)

A gen-u-ine 1898 Budapest stutzen in 8x50R. Actually, through all the iron oxide the date looks like 1888, but that can't be right. :?

Finish? Patches of original finish remain in sheltered areas. ( like the barrel threads!! :-o )

Bore? Rifling? Well, lets just say "pits form a spiral"! :jok: But you can see light through it... if you squint hard. :hah: :crzy:

So I scared up a mailing tube, and the hardest part was drifting out the trigger group retaining pin... the one that usually FALLS out in any other M.95 Taped the trigger group to the barrel & gave it the once-over.

Sights - there... more or less. Between them & the trigger, you are all set to shoot around corners! :rotflma:

So when it arrives sometime this week, you have to post a couple pics... just so folks won't think I've gone soft & am giving away perfectly good shooters. :lol

Well, you know the popular cliche': "One man's junk is another man's... **let's call a spade a spade here** JUNK!!!

:rotflma: :rotflma: :rotflma: SW

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:59 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I'll post when it is here 8-)

We'll talk about the Chinese AK...........

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:52 am 
Captain
Captain

If you ever need a rusty gun, you should hang out with me...~LOL!~

Guns in the Arctic are consumable commoditys.

At least 1/2 the guys here hunt steady, and miles of snowgo riding, bouncing across the tundra or out in the Seasalt spray of the ocean, the constant "Sweating" in cool temperatures and summers rains gets 'em used up in a few years.
Imagine being out in the ice, at about 32above, moving amonge the ice in the mists of cooled damp air, most wrap their scopes up and when a shot comes up out of the ocean, or is sighted across ice, Ive watched guys drag rifles hundreds of yards behind their legs as the crawl to 50 or so yards of a big ol seal and make sure they hit....
I have worn out many rifles...22LR's, and big stuff...its what keeps me using surplus, as do many up here, corrosive primed bulk stuff.
There a real effect on stocks in -40 as well. Some will just shatter.
Scopes fog with a whisp of breath from a careless breath, and shatter, crack, bend fog all the time...Leupold RULES!, just observations.
Sometimes, every couple years when I have spare $$$ I buy up a bunch and fix them and give them to kids.
I should check out this derusting process.

Spraying down a rifle with red rustolem is not a sin. :bigrin:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:33 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

interesting project