[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Ford Brothers Percussion Shotgun found

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:29 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

I have been given a Percussion Double barrel shotgun at least that's my guess that its a shotgun. A 12 gauge almost fits the front of the barrel.

It does not break like a std shotgun and has a ramrod under the two barrels. both side of the locks say Ford Brothers and the rib between the barrels says Laminated steel. Although the barrels look like Damascus steel but they might be the same.

The gun is in very good condition and has been kept dry in the back of an old gun case. Where would I start to find info on this shotgun? When made, where made and last what is the value of such a firearm in this good of shape?

Thanks

Resident of the Northern Republic of Free California

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:17 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...dunno-but here's what I came across...
http://www.mikekentauctions.com/listLot ... PageNum=15
...first listing below bayos... :bigrin:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:26 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

http://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/m ... r9ppennn5u

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:59 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Yep those were the only ones I could come up with also. I'll get some photos here soon. It has the coolest hammers!

"People should not be afraid of their Government, the Government should be afraid of the people." - V

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:55 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

The steel is the same as Damascus & "twist" steel - wallhanger only.

That said, it's a way cool old shotgun. Most were 'working guns' and were plumb worn out from keeping mallards & such on the table. SW

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:48 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Ok I am stupid about these things but how would they be loaded as in getting all the shot in there? Would they just poor in it then patch it? The bluing on this thing is like new. And the only but small amount of peppering is around the nipples.

It's a pretty thing. Now maybe the time to trade for my other neighbors Rock-ola M1 Carbine!! He likes these things.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:30 pm 

Shot was carried in a flask that looked very much like a powder flask except it had a bigger spout. There was a spring-loaded cutoff & you held the flask upside down with your thumb over the end. The spout got full, you let go the stopper & it prevented anymore shot from following what you wanted over your powder & wad. Another wad was tamped over the shot, and you very carefully threw a lead on Daffy Quacker as it was a real PITA to reload & you just hated to miss!

Flock-shooting sitting ducks was the norm in those days! :-o ;) As were down & duck feather pillows and mallard with spuds-n-gravy. 8-) SW

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:50 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

......its just my ignorance and preferences on these sorta things-but as neet as it looks and is,I'd trade it for a Rock-ola carbine in less than a heartbeat..... ;) .those auction prices on those other sites werent as much as I thought something like this would be...just my .02 :bigrin:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:30 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

As a Military gun nut that I am that Rock-ola looks better to me. Now if I had that mountain cabin way north of here it would look great over the mantle! I just was given from the same neighbor a very nice (but minus clip) High Standard Field King pistol with nice adj sites. It's a keeper!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:42 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Why would it be relegated to wall hanging status? Wouldn't the barrels be just fine for their intended purpose, Black Powder?

It's 5 o'clock and it's watermelon time.....................
because you can't drink beer & load rockets - TXPete

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:40 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

as nice as that is , im with you on the rock-o-la , if it hadnt been for the fire in 87 id have had one of these :( ,

me thinks the auctions were low because of the descriptions-heavily used and worn with numerous 'old' repairs , yours should be worth substantialy more , maybe a rock-o-la ? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:18 am 
Colonel
Colonel

I'm just waiting for him to get back to wave it in front of his nose! He loves these things and I would love his Rock-ola!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:36 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

That's a very nice old double. Don't often see them in that nice of condition. I think it's a keeper.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth ...... firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. When firearms go, all goes..."
GEORGE WASHINGTON

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:34 am 
Major
Major

as long as the barrels aren't pitted a nice old double like that would be fine to shoot with the correct blackpowder loads

GG

Old Thor ain't got nothing on me.

Gungrubber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:46 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

No pitting on the insides and just a little and I mean very little on the out side around the nipples. I guess you guys can call me the chicken as I have never ventured into the realm of BP. I have a repro BP pistol that I was give as a Christmas gift 18 years ago that I have never even fired.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:21 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:29 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Hmm

Well I just don't know :-?

I really would like that M1 Carbine :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:38 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....I wasnt talkin' about the shotgun-I meant the BP pistol... :rotflma: :rotflma: :rotflma: ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:41 am 
Colonel
Colonel

What pistol :crzy: :crzy: