[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - "Sweet" light color rendition.

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:21 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

It can get interesting around early sunrise- late sunset.

Here's a sample that appears monochrome:

Just after the sun touched the horizon.
Had the little Canon in "P" mode, and it selected ISO 160. 1/60 sec @ f5.8.
It's not B&W. The reflections of the water wash out the color.
That is how the scene appeared to my eye before I took the image.
I need to investigate this more.
Image is untouched, straight from the camera, with no post processing or cropping.

Edit:

Mods- if these are getting too large, I can size them down a bit.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:59 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Doc, I'm the moderizer, and you can post whatever you like! SW

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:47 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

:bigrin:

I'll keep it within reasonable limits. 8-) :bigrin:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:00 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i rather like what you post and im sure that hogger will keep the intent , your getting some great shots ,

i like the architecture but i also like the landscape shots , you seem to have an abundance of subject matter , im sure we all do if we take a moment to look but you have captured some great shots , i think i need to slow life enough to see these things here , its going by too fast , i do spend a bit of time these days appreciating my surroundings but i never think to try to capture them and share - thanks for doing it , its never wasted or overlooked ,

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:04 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Late evening on June 21.

Canon SX 270 HS digital.
ISO/ASA 200 1/125 sec f 8.

Fringing on the edges is atmospheric interference.
Crop is about 85%.

I tried another frame at ISO/ASA 100 but lost the detail due to movement at the 1/60 sec shutter speed.

Won't get much tonight- awful lot of haze up there.
Hopefully get a clear night soon before new moon.
I'll haul the tripod out and try again...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:07 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

longest day of the year here - you all will have to move a bit quicker , but i have to say thats a right smart image you got

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:44 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

This time with the Canon SX 280 HS, on last night's blood moon.

Lot of atmospheric interference in the form of banded clouds.

Sequenced with rate of moon rise....

We lost her to clouds about 45 min after moon-rise.

I did get a couple of frames with the F-3 that are likely going to be under-exposed.
A moon that low in the sky is a bit darker than the plain white we usually get...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:19 am 

Took my Canon pocket size along this morning. It rained all night & I was hoping for pics of buzzards drying their wings... not to be - no buzzards.

But I did see these goats. Ran right across the road in front of me & by the time I had the camera in hand they were rather far away. I had to enlarge this quite a bit and mess with the lighting & it's really falling apart.

Flop Ears howling at them didn't help, either. ;) SW

goatz 001 (3).JPG
goatz 001 (3).JPG [ 109.45 KiB | Viewed 8308 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:27 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Mine broke up too, on account of the clouds I was shooting through.

Yours are still very recognizable. Their range extends up into Alberta, and I've seen them in person before. They are not all that big. You did very well for a pocket cam at distance on moving subjects.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:20 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Glass insulators on a high tension line outside the St. James transformer station.

These are not seen much anymore. IIRC, this was a late 60's installation.

The Honourable Member for Bottleby-Splotwidth responds to questions in the House.
55 yards with the newer Canon p&s in Program mode near sunset....

Regards,

DocSharptail

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:17 pm 

Pretty good resolution for 55 yards - lots of hair detail. SW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:45 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I think the newer to me camera has a different optical formula to it's lens.
There's a bit more bbl distortion to it at the wide end than the older camera. Both are a bit cold in terms of color rendition compared to their Nikon counterpart. The older camera seems a bit sharper at max macro setting...

Regards ,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:42 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i thought that was part of what filters did - correcting actual to perceived and color rendition , but then i been out of this a long time now ,

only today i was reminded when a cute young lady came in to the range - her license said DOB 99 , i had guessed her early twenties but that date threw me , 99 was just a week ago wasnt it ? guess not .....lust not , want not and so forth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:35 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I could do color correction a bit in post processing on the photo editing suite, but choose not to.

There is no way to mount a filter on these point and shoot autofocus cameras. They are not threaded for them. The lenses would not collapse into the body as designed with a filter or a holder aboard.

The comparison between the nikon and canon lenses is just the apple's to oranges argument all over again...
The nikkors still win this one.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:58 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

right , i forgot you were using the point and shoot ,

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:08 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I like these sunset to the west photos.
This is where an averaging exposure system gets into trouble.
A spot meter helps a lot.
Taken with the 500mm like this, spot readings are about 1/2 degree in dia.
I ended up exposing for the "ceiling" part of the pic at bottom,
which turned out to be one of my better decisions.
North face of the old Bank of Nova Scotia building.
1/80 sec. color ISO 100 with the big Tamron 500mm f8.

Sun is almost touching the horizon here.
Taken from about 1/4 mile away with the big 500mm.
This is about an 85% crop- hence the digital noise.
Upper reaches of the old Winnipeg Electric Railway Co. office tower.
1/125 sec color...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:04 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Late evening lighting down at Sturgeon creek, where I've caught so many nice walleye.
Not this year though. Water is far too low for fish of any kind. It's usually 6-8 feet deep where this pic was taken.
Deepest pools are about 6".
Did manage a respectable eater 200 yds away on the Assiniboine river last night.
It's been a while since I pulled in a decent walleye.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:59 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

at least you have somewhere to fish - its tuff to find this year , that was a great area to photo tho - low water offers a beeter three dimensional landscape we seldom see , im finding that in the mack lot line as well - never seen the river so ;ow - its fed from a spring fed lake upstream but im thinking the springs are even running slow this year ,