[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Misc. cameras, gear or photographers thread

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:59 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

That's the nice thing about a waist level finder- you can get away without a tripod in a lot situations.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:07 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Okay, photography fans... what are these?
pic1a421.jpg
pic1a421.jpg [ 99.14 KiB | Viewed 5488 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:48 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Absolutely Kodak promotional materials.

There's just enough of the red chips to play Bingo on a single card.
The 3 die I have no idea on...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:50 pm 

These are from a game called "421". Roll the dice with various combinations getting the most points. Apparently 4, 2 and 1 were the biggies.

Something to do with your darkroom assistant while prints dried? Apparently it never caught on. Something to look for at yard sales or 2nd hand shops. SW

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/280 ... twenty-one

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:30 am 

Just the ticket for spur of the moment snaps! SW
pic1a.jpg
pic1a.jpg [ 66.55 KiB | Viewed 5469 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:37 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I had heard about this before- a periscope system for focusing those large box cameras.
I *think* that's the mirror he's moving with the secondary knob...
The reason for that system not being entirely successful escapes me- it may well have had something to do with cost...
Thanks for sharing the photo.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:38 pm 

Spy ring camera ca. 1940. No word where it was made. SW
pic1a.jpg
pic1a.jpg [ 67.81 KiB | Viewed 5371 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:10 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Not a clue on this one.
It probably took miniature roll film of some kind.
Given the delicate look of the case, it was very likely a single use camera, with no provision for the user to reload film.
Probably used panchromatic film that could be handled under a dark green safe light.
The artwork on the case suggests French manufacture- just a huge guess on my part...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:22 am 

Basic box camera. I've got Dad's he carried for years on ranches and took pics of cowpoke life. Actually not bad images. I'll try to copy and post a few later today. SW
pic1a (2).jpg
pic1a (2).jpg [ 141.96 KiB | Viewed 5349 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:59 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Agfa used good glass for a long period.
They were also responsible for Rodinal film developer being put on the market.
Would be nice to see what the old box was capable of.
Is it 6-16, or 6-20?

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:53 pm 

Here's the camera - can't tell which it is. Strap shows "D-6 Cadet". SW
IMG_0092 (2).JPG
IMG_0092 (2).JPG [ 69.1 KiB | Viewed 5329 times ]

IMG_0091 (2).JPG
IMG_0091 (2).JPG [ 49.17 KiB | Viewed 5329 times ]

IMG_0093 (2).JPG
IMG_0093 (2).JPG [ 99.03 KiB | Viewed 5329 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:26 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Agfa D 6 film = Kodak 116 film, which is a little over 1/8" wider than 120 film.
Nominal Kodak image size was 2-1/2" X 4-3/4".
Agfa used a 2-1/2" X 2-1/2" square image size for most of it's 116 format cameras.
The 616, 620 and 120 spools are too narrow (short in length) to fit in the D 6 Cadet.

The lens glass in these old AGFA cameras was more than acceptable for the image size.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:30 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

To all of you with older digital cameras & even older strobes with possible high trigger voltage fears.
Wein safe Synch!

I have 2 1980's vintage "Potato Mashers" & a ring-light, all of which I refuse to give up, but they work in the 180~220V trigger voltage range.
Both of my digital Fuji cameras don't recommend going that high.

The Safe Synch drops any incoming voltage to 4~6 DCV, safe for any transistor synch switch.

I semi-permanently attached one to each hot shoe connection & they're all working fine & together after many years!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:05 pm 

Kodak K-24 aerial reconnaissance camera ca. 1940s. SW
pic1aK24.jpg
pic1aK24.jpg [ 154.12 KiB | Viewed 5211 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:12 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Looks like a roll film back on it- which would be the largest I've ever seen.
If I were to guess at format size, it would be at least 8" X 10" at a bare minimum.
Doubt they were used hand-held very often- they were usually pintle mounted onto the gun mounts of a B-25, from what I've read...

Edit: Not a Kodak, but a graflex K-17. It often gets mis-identified as a Kodak...

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=8129c577 ... tMi8&ntb=1

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:23 pm 

I lifted the pic from a Russian site. As usual they didn't put a lot of research into the caption. SW

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:52 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

A little more reading around the web shows an image size of about 9" X 16".
The camera was electro servo controlled for film and shutter advance.
The lens on it may very well be a Kodak 9-1/2".

I really can't see film that big being reel tank developed.
There was very likely a system for cutting the film for tray development, which makes a heck of a lot more dark-room sense.
The images must have been something else, especially with that low of an enlargement ratio...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:50 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

You couldn't cut the film before processing because there's only a latent (invisible) image on it at that point. There's no way to find where the "border between frames" was. There was a "galvanized Bathtub" developing tank, it contained 3 "developing tanks, 1 developer, one fixer & one water rinse. not daylight.

In it was a system for un-spooling the roll film on one side passing it through a gap where the chemistry could access the emulsion side & re-spooling it on the other, which was hand-cranked. The non-stop movement back & forth kept the chemistry active over the whole film area in a type of continuous agitation. When time was up you lifted the whole shebang up, drained it & lowered it into the next chemical bath.

It was a "Press" Type "Rapid Access" processing Chemistry. Permanence wasn't a concern, speed was.
Processing large roll film was a well known & (sorry) developed skill, basically invented decades earlier for processing the giant film from "Circuit" cameras used for large group portraits.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:21 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I haven't seen anything on this so I figured out why not give it a lash.
I love my old "Potato Masher" strobes!
The Sunpak auto 611 from the late 70's & its replacement the 1980's Auto 622 Pro.
Both working fine to this day.
Both had multiple auto exposure settings as well as variable manual power ratio control. The 4 pack rechargeable "C" cell batteries would run for ever even on full power. I don't think I ever actually flattened a set!
The 611 was a tank, the 622 a somewhat cheapened design quality, but with many more features like interchangeable dedicated TTL remote sensors, interchangeable by camera brand. Interchangeable tilt & swivel heads including one with a zoom feature, a bare bulb, a diffused, & even an infared. Quick change battery packs too.
The 611 being older is a HV trigger at 190V so I use a Wein "Safe Synch" with it always, but the 622 is down to about 4v.
The 611 has a (real) GN of 160(ft) with 100 iso & the 622 with the head set to "normal" zoom is almost 220(ft) with 100 iso.
The small attachments under the remote sensor shoes are Safe Synchs & optical slave units

I just find the versatility, off camera abilities & raw power particularly handy so I refuse to give them up even though I have a couple of shoe mounts for both my cameras.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:16 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

That's the biggest one in the house, G/N 36, of course.
I'm not sure when Sunpak started following Vivitar's lead into incorporating the guide number into the model designation.
It came in one of my film camera package deals, and I'll keep it for use with the single F2, and FTN I have left here.
I did use it on the p.c. terminal of the D-200 without any problems~ the trigger voltage is well under the max 250 V for that camera.
It takes six double "A" batteries.

There's a slightly cleaner take of the same image above.
TBH, I mostly use the built in pop-up flash on the D-810 these days.
I still have not researched trigger voltages for it yet.
I seem to be mostly working outside with the camera now.

Back in the medium format "Working" days, go to flash was a pair of Metz Meca-Blitz 60-CT2's.
I had never run down the lead-acid battery packs.
They are rarely seen these days, as the battery packs were prone to long term degradation.
Two Bowens Mono lights with umbrellas were part of the wedding kit, which in all probabilities, I won't be doing again.
I think I have a couple of the optical slave units left here, as well as a Vivitar 283, and 285.
Using all three would be interesting once I'm ready to put the time into the set-up.
There's also a couple of different versions of the Nikon SB-22 here, which are a bit low in the power dept. at a g/n of 22.

Do remember to bring enough kit :P.
The bulk of it is mostly third party film lenses, and I think a couple of film cameras.
It ain't all of it- there's two more piles in seperate closets.
Add in the hunting, fishing and shooting stuff, and a 3 ton is required bare minimum. :roll: :roll: :bigrin:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next