Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lever #23
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:25 am 
LCDR
LCDR

This is a second Ithaca 22 single shot #49.They call them saddle ring carbines but this 1 don't have a ring,and some 1 had has a side mounted scope on it at 1 time.Ive had it about 10 years now.

Image Image [img]

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Seller ... ser=956475

http://stores.ebay.com/workenladyo8?_rdc=1

Post subject: Re: Lever #23
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:13 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Nice, I have a question on those, that mag tube that is beneath the barrel is just there as a decoration? It is not feeding anything if I understand you correctly and it is a single shot. I like that gun a lot it would be a nice starter gun for a kid and still look like Dads gun. How does she shoot? Opps reckon that was more than one question sorry.

I am more than a little jealous of your lever collection, I love them and only have a few myself,, and could not exercise your self control and not shoot them, I have a 94 commemorative my FIL gave my wife that I just had to take out to the range. Not that I really care on that one as I fully intend to hunt with it at some point, or have it be my wifes deer rifle once we get out of this hell hole, but how much does the value drop once you fire them?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:25 pm 
LCDR
LCDR

On these the tube is just for looks but they do have a repeater that loads in the tube.I can't think of the model.I think they left the thing on the s/s so they could use most of the 49 parts.Ill find the model or the repeater and post it.The Stevens 79 is the same gun and several other company's made a knock off of it to.I have a Stevens ,but in a moment of retardation i hacked it into a mares leg.I'm gathering parts to rebuild it.
I'm not sure how much more a un shot gun is worth.But it has to add a good bit more as the gun ages.The most impotent thing i think is how you care for 1 that you shoot.Any scratch or rust or ware will take the price down some. I personal like a gun with ware on it.It has a Patna that makes it more appealing to my eye.
As i looked on gun broker for the repeater i ended up bidding on 2 more .1 49 and a knock off 1. Old habits are hard to brake.
I had my dads guns left to me at 11 and when i was 19 while on vacation they were stolen.1975 or so.I stayed gun less till 1989 . Then it happened,while working for Davy tree co.People along the roads we were working on started to try to sell me there guns.That was the start of it all.Then i got my first back hoe and signed on to do city sewerage lines.The second home owner asked me to take a rem.742 in on the bill.Well everyone in town must have seen the dealings.I ended up with about every gun in town.I had 2 part time jobs + the hoe work.And could not save a dime.So guns was my savings.At first i bought + sold them both then it became buying only,didn't need the cash.Between 89 + 99 i had made over 500 gun deals.They came to me every where i went.It was the best time of my life till i crushed my rib cage in 2000.Now i buy when i can and sell a few to buy more,but it hurts to sell them. The rush of a gun deal is about the only thing that gives me enjoyment since i stopped booze and weed in 1992.I don't know were it will end up but i have loved every second of it and live for the rush of the deals.
I hear those story's what if you die,WELL who gives a shit about anything when your dead.I live for now.I haven't had a job since 94 and live off 3 rental property's.Take care of your body or your screwed.But i still love life and firearms and thats enough for me. :D ALL ya they shoot real good too.

Image Image [img]

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Seller ... ser=956475

http://stores.ebay.com/workenladyo8?_rdc=1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:49 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i kinda like these they harken back to another time when a kid could still imagine - without a blackberry or I-pod

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:25 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

I hear ya JW, I had a logging and wood business back when I was young and about the middle of the winter up in Maine people used to offer me all kinds of trades for firewood. Than I went back to working horses and traveled from job to job moving everything you own in the back of a pickup a couple times a year for about 25 years cuts down on the collecting. I totally understand what you are saying on the health thing, about 4 years ago, the combination of years of messing with young stupid horses, an unhealthy lifestyle and some bad luck led my Dr to tell me I would never work again. At least it gives me the time to pick up some toys now. Your right when the body goes your screwed, but you find other things to do if you are clever.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:33 am 
OUTLAW

alot of it is just get your head together and get up every morning with a smile and do your best.
I got a little beat up in a snake :D one of those E-ticket rides.the army tried to kick me out on a medical and I wasn't having any of it.I fought the medical board with my chain of command behind me and won.retained in MOS and grade.they told me that as I got older I was going to be screwed which was kind of true.I still get up every morning and do my best at what I can do.on a good day I get to fire up the harley and have a short ride and I am all smiles again.
bottom line is don't let the shit get you down.

pete

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - WOW - What a Ride Image

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:55 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i hear ya too - "dont let it get ya down"

- i cannot remember days without pain but id not trade a day without for what im enjoying right now , and im not going to get one so who the hell cares