[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Back in the day

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Back in the day
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:44 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I was looking for christmas pics to post in the recipe thread but didn't find any. I think my bro took them.

But I did find a few pics of ranch life from many years ago that may be of interest.

Me with a stinker. They actually make good pets.
1OldPic1.jpg
1OldPic1.jpg [ 38 KiB | Viewed 3635 times ]

Vintage bull rack. This was from Mom's 1953c pics. Might be an old Mack with 5X3 transmission. Old time truckers could change gears and never grind them.
1OldPic4.jpg
1OldPic4.jpg [ 49.47 KiB | Viewed 3635 times ]

Putting up hay inthe sandhills of Nebr. The bass-ackwards tractor shoved big piles of hay to the stacker & the nags drug it up to the top. Ranches typically hired old alcoholics to get up on top & arrange the hay so the stack wouldn't tip over later. That & dodge rattlesnakes. IIRC, the old guys up on the stack were about 3/4 drunk all the time.
1OldPic2.jpg
1OldPic2.jpg [ 35.03 KiB | Viewed 3635 times ]

"Swords into plowshares". Ranch halftracks were a common sight in the late 40s - early 50s. They were cheep & used until they fell apart. Then drug into a tree row where they still sit - today - right now - quietly rusting away.

The good part of these was that they had a heater - unlike the team o' nags Dad normally used for feeding cattle as shown. I went out with Dad on weekends. Saddled up & rode out. Caught the work horses & Dad put the harness on & hitched them up to the feed wagon. Then we rode home afterward. No heaters on the saddles. If you hands got too numb, you could stuff them under the saddle blanket & warm them up on the nag's hide. Got a trifle frosty at times, it did! ;)

1OldPic3.jpg
1OldPic3.jpg [ 40.68 KiB | Viewed 3635 times ]

Ah, the good old days! :bigrin: SW

Post subject: Re: Back in the day
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:27 am 
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Thanks a lot for sharing those Hogger....pretty cool pictures! I always enjoyed looking through the old photo albums when I'd go home to mom's. 3 of my sisters and I are getting together in the Black Hills for Christmas this year at the house my mother loved so much. It'll be the first time since mom passed away.... The albums are still there so I'm sure we'll be pouring over them as we tip a few and have some laughs.... And probably a tear or two.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:30 am 

I'm right there with you about the tears. My brother put all Mom's Christmas movies on DVD and I get like Chevy Chase from 'Christmas Vacation' when I watch them. ( I don't sit in the attic with a mink stole on, though! ;) )

Good memories, but my family are all gone now. SW

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:56 am 
Oh Paris!!!
Oh Paris!!!

S~...neat..!
Mom started last winter making a 'book'. she has told me about things for years now about her youth....and I finally just asked..."put all this down in a book!".... so she has!...she will keep adding to it as she remembers stuff...and, she has some pictures :bigrin:
I think it will be real nice for my sis and I to have.....and then my sis wants the rifle I'm building for her....but being 4 yrs older than me...sis remembers MY stories...heck, she MADE some~like I was 12 before i could whip her in a fight!!!!!!!!!!! :P :lol

good stuff at holiday time guys!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:37 am 
The Knife
The Knife

After my mother died my brother spent a couple day ransacking the house for valuables and he ended up also taking what albums that she had. The only one I got was the one of the family that comrade arteest made an excellent copy of.

This will be the first xmas the my wife hasn't spent with her mother so it just might get a little emotional.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:57 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

good luck messer , im in the same boat , it will be a diferent experience for sure , ive made no plans to be with 'my' family this year as each sibling have sucked back to their own this time ,im certain its OK as we all must have our time , and we have been apart for more than the generations we represent ,

this is the first year i can actually say i cannot "move back home" there is no-where to move back to and no one to move back with ,

ive been 'alone' since 1969 , and yet never felt it more than this christmas because there are no parents left to visit , its a very unsetteling feeling even at my age ,

i have a very large family on my wifes side and a great pair of siblings in my brother and sister , but i do feel a little missplaced this year ,

merry christmass to all and happy new year

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:27 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...aaaahhh yes...now I see where you got the "inspiration" for using the occasional "Haystack Nebr." address... :rotflma: ...and your lil' kid pic you look a lot like I did at that age :-o ....or did we all... ;)

Image136sm.JPG
Image136sm.JPG [ 86.94 KiB | Viewed 3604 times ]