[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Wildlife and other scenes from the middle o' nowhere

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:54 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Just got my neg scanner & I am WAY happy with it!!! It automatically inverts B&W negs. I monkeyed around with a few close to hand & hope to add more as time goes by. SW

"I hate it when this happens!" I drove into a ranch & some goats were grazing by the fence. The buck shown had his head through the wire on the theory that the grass really is greener... But notice he's only caught by the tips. He thrashed around & I got out of the truck to get these shots. He finally decided I was the cause of all his problems & tried to come through to get me. He finally setttled down - lowed his head from fatigue - rocked back a little & FREE! He took off & was still running last I saw him 3 miles later.

IMG_0001 (1024x737).jpg
IMG_0001 (1024x737).jpg [ 582.97 KiB | Viewed 6800 times ]

IMG_0004 (1024x726).jpg
IMG_0004 (1024x726).jpg [ 615.14 KiB | Viewed 6800 times ]

Next is a real deal Conestoga wagon. A rich old gal who was about about 3 geese short of a gaggle had it sitting out in a shelter belt. One of her cowpokes mentioned it to someone from the County Hysterical Society who slipped them some $ to drag it in to the place for preservation. Original tools & implements were still attached.

IMG_0004 (1024x669).jpg
IMG_0004 (1024x669).jpg [ 387.62 KiB | Viewed 6800 times ]

Just a shot of my ratty old SKS by a decrepit old building. I used to hunt with it - FMJ ammo & the whole bit.

IMG_0005 (740x1024).jpg
IMG_0005 (740x1024).jpg [ 545.25 KiB | Viewed 6800 times ]

A real deal chuck wagon. Way the heck & gone out west of Lance Creek.

IMG_0007 (1024x671).jpg
IMG_0007 (1024x671).jpg [ 444.77 KiB | Viewed 6800 times ]

Old barn northwest of Manville ,

IMG_0005 (1024x800).jpg
IMG_0005 (1024x800).jpg [ 640.75 KiB | Viewed 6800 times ]

A few does a long way from anywhere. The pic doesn't show it, but they are darn big deer.

IMG_0008 (1024x671).jpg
IMG_0008 (1024x671).jpg [ 587.93 KiB | Viewed 6800 times ]

That's all I messed around with at the moment. I've got a crap ton of negs & will try to post a few more. SW

**ETA... Looking through the negs, I realized how deeply I love this part of the world. It would flat kill me if I was stuck in an urban setting for some reason.**

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:28 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

these are really fun , i hope you get time to post more , it brings back memories of summer trips out that way in the late 50s/early 60s , i had vissions of all those old wagons being gone forever

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:15 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

....you will find yourself spending a helluva lotta time going thru and scanning your stuff-so much so that you will wonder where the time went....I know that when I was able to borrow one for about a month,I spent almost every available second scanning-and STILL barely scratched the surface of what I have...wifey thought I was becoming a recluse :crzy: .....I have one on my "wanna have" list for when the $$ gets freed up
......nice pics........toldja it was easy to use one... ;) ....next thing you know your hard drive /storage disks will be full up and you'll need more space to save all the images... :rotflma:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:51 pm 

you are right, they do show up better on this forum, (vs gunboards)

nice shots, keep em coming!!

and curses to you for introducing me to another forum to surf!!!!!!!! :lol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:11 pm 

Lyman,

Congrats on your successful escape from the minefield! And welcome to the madness here! We goof off a lot more than they do at gunbroads. ;) :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:19 pm 

More pics:

An abandoned church in Hartville, Wyo - just down the hill from an abandoned iron mine at Sunrise.

IMG_0005 (671x1024).jpg
IMG_0005 (671x1024).jpg [ 734.24 KiB | Viewed 6783 times ]

Wagons at a ranch on Twenty Mile Road - which is the back (only) way from Lance Creek to Lost Springs. And if you imagine it's really 20 miles, you are in for a big surprise!

IMG_0009 (1024x667).jpg
IMG_0009 (1024x667).jpg [ 457.27 KiB | Viewed 6783 times ]

A church that was still in use at Hartville. Shown against the mountain full of iron.

IMG_0018 (1024x678).jpg
IMG_0018 (1024x678).jpg [ 637.68 KiB | Viewed 6783 times ]

Gnarly old truck not far from Ft Laramie, Wyo. The farmer used it for his sh!t spreader. :bull:

IMG_0013 (1024x747).jpg
IMG_0013 (1024x747).jpg [ 616.02 KiB | Viewed 6783 times ]

One bedroom fixer-upper with full finished basement. Way the heck and gone south of Lost Springs. It's on a hill and I can see it from the RR tracks everyday. SW

IMG_0019 (1024x489).jpg
IMG_0019 (1024x489).jpg [ 321.75 KiB | Viewed 6783 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:56 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

These are AMAZING pictures. Please keep them coming. That old sh.. spreader truck looks really angry. There must be some haunted spots in the old buildings, barns, etc.
Bern

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:49 am 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

The ranch we used to hunt was between Lance Creek and Hwy 59 and they used to drive their cattle to Neb. cross country. They owned at least two feed lots in NEB. One year we gave the ranch owner several 30 gallon water barrels we had with us to use during the cattle drive, they also used a chuckwagon that was stored at the ranch.
You see a lot of wierd stuff abandoned on the prairie. We found a lod car the one time miles from any road or what served as a road, a 20's touring car, can't remember the make anymore, but it had wood spoke wheels.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:42 am 
The Knife
The Knife

Some good pictures. I haven't seen one of those COE trucks in a long time. There are a lot of interesting things out on the prairie.

Lyman :welcome: to our little nut house.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:14 pm 

A few more: Dauntless dive bomber from an aircraft carrier museum on the east coast. Don't recall which carrier.

IMG_0003 (1024x679).jpg
IMG_0003 (1024x679).jpg [ 400.31 KiB | Viewed 6762 times ]

Hellcat from same museum.

IMG_0004 (1024x676).jpg
IMG_0004 (1024x676).jpg [ 425.23 KiB | Viewed 6762 times ]

Submarine - same place. I didn't make notes like I do now so you bubble heads will have to jump in with which one this is.

IMG_0005 (1024x676).jpg
IMG_0005 (1024x676).jpg [ 542.47 KiB | Viewed 6762 times ]

"You can't see me!" I messed around with sepia tone here.

IMG_0008 (1024x527).jpg
IMG_0008 (1024x527).jpg [ 371.75 KiB | Viewed 6762 times ]

"Two bedroom fixer-upper starter home. Plenty of privacy!"

IMG_0016 (1024x678).jpg
IMG_0016 (1024x678).jpg [ 436.06 KiB | Viewed 6762 times ]

Your basic old windmill and barn. I was by here when I was hunting turks not long ago, and both no longer exist. SW

IMG_0030 (674x1024).jpg
IMG_0030 (674x1024).jpg [ 414.21 KiB | Viewed 6762 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:31 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

really fun photos , welcome lyman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:54 am 
Grand Pooh-Bah
Grand Pooh-Bah

The Submarine is the SS 343, USS Clamagore "is now the only surviving GUPPY type III submarine in the United States. She is at Patriot's Point Naval and Maritime Museum in Charleston SC. The aircraft carrier is the USS Yorktown CV10, shown in the photo with the sub is the Destroyer USS Laffey DD724.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:07 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Great stuff, man, I love those photos! My last road trip through Colorado was in '91 .. amazing how much of the old mining stuff there still looks like it wasn't abandoned until just a few years ago! Plenty to see along the road from Gunnison to Lake City, and from Ouray over the Red Mountain Pass to Silverton.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:46 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

have not been out there since the mid 80s , took the kids into a mine back then , dont think id enjoy that work at all

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:02 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

First I heard of a negative inverting scanner- but I ain't all that tech savvy.

I know where there's a n.i.b. Nikon F/E for sale, and I'm tempted. However, the same place is selling 25 sheets of 4 x 5 Ilford Pearl paper at better than a 100 bucks. Archival grade paper is almost twice that...

Old stand-by Tri-X is gettin awful hard to come by these days. Rodinal's gone the way of the flashbulb. Sigh...

My Canon point and shoot digital has just about had it. I'm gonna hafta to do something in the near future. If I can come across another Schneider equipped Kodak digital, I may go for it...

I too have a ton of stuff from my Nikon/Bronica Sq-A days. I'd love to get it digitized...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:48 pm 

Doc,

I've got about half a can o' Tri-X you are plumb welcome to. Maybe some Kodak developing chemicals if you want those for the same price of nuttin' SW

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:41 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

That stuff is sorely missed. Nice thing about Rodinal- you could push to ASA 1600, and go one shot with the Rodinal at 1:16. Pushing to 800 worked better for me with that soup. It produced remarkably sharp edged grain on Tri-X- looked like pan-X even blown to 8 x 10.

Pretty sure I lost the bulk loader, changing bag, and tanks and reels in the fire. I'll dig and see what I got left, but it ain't much. The fridge lit up too, and a good dozen rolls of 120 TX as well.
I've got a 1.8 55 mm micro nikkor that survived... that F/E is lookin better and better :D

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:19 am 

I never used a dedicated cassette loader - I measured off a 24 shot length of film & rolled it into a reusable cassette with a camera. Snipped an angle on the end with scissors & away I went. I'm not sure how I knew which shide had the emulsion - I think I just went with the curl. Been a few years.

I always thought I was a die hard chem photographer, but the Canon EOS really changed my mind.

My accountant said I could write it off for the book & it was a huge help! SW

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:07 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

been years since i mixed any developer or loaded any bulk film but i too miss that technology , not sure where in my current house i would put the darkroom , but at one time i had a permanent lab set up in my basement ,

i bet i still have a couple rollls of ilford around somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:52 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

One of the guys at work got one of the first digital EOS's out of Japan. He was very happy with it. He put more than one FD lens on it to boot. I think DSLR is the way I'm gonna have to go. I was very hard on that little 120 I.S. Canon- It was not made for the hard use I put it up to.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail