[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Cowpoke pics from 1939 - 1940

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:28 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Dad took these back in the day. SW

This is a hay stacker. A "sweep" would push bunches of hay which were tossed over a frame. A down-n-out kind of guy - often a wino - would stand in the frame and tramp the hay down - move it around to make a solid hay stack.
IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg [ 369.48 KiB | Viewed 2834 times ]

Dad told me this scene was a camp for the cowpokes who were to ride out a large tract of timber and buttes and bring all the cattle in to a corrall where the calves were separated and sold.
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg [ 389.25 KiB | Viewed 2834 times ]

"The genuine article". Dad is on the right.
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg [ 394.28 KiB | Viewed 2834 times ]

Another shot of an old school hay stacker
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg [ 494.81 KiB | Viewed 2834 times ]

Branding. I can clearly recall the punget smells of burning hair. And a lunch of fried 'nads the next day! :bigrin:
IMG_0004.jpg
IMG_0004.jpg [ 259.91 KiB | Viewed 2834 times ]

This is a "sweep" seen here pushing a bunch of prairie hay up to the stacker.
IMG_0005.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg [ 392.45 KiB | Viewed 2834 times ]

The man indicated is one of my uncles in the Marines, 1940. I never met the man.
IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0006.jpg [ 270.67 KiB | Viewed 2834 times ]

Fixing fence out in the middle o' nowhere.
IMG_0007.jpg
IMG_0007.jpg [ 394.94 KiB | Viewed 2834 times ]

After the hay was stacked, it was fed to cattle the following winter from horse-drawn sleds shown here. Did a bunch of that, I did!
IMG_0008.jpg
IMG_0008.jpg [ 307.63 KiB | Viewed 2834 times ]

Dad is on the left here. Notice the sturdy fence around the house. This was to keep cattle from getting in & rubbing against the house. And the nags from eating the flowers. Cattle and horses ALWAYS itch!
IMG_0009.jpg
IMG_0009.jpg [ 492.3 KiB | Viewed 2834 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:34 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

GREAT pics! The old ranches I worked up in WY had a few weathered remains of those old hay stackers and few old sleds slowly rotting away. Round bales put those things out of business.

I was noticing on the picture of your dad and the hand in the derby hat on horseback. Your dad appears to use his stirrups like I was taught, whilst the other gent uses his like I saw all the boyos up in Wyoming used theirs. I was taught to use the front part of my feet in the stirrups rather than sticking your foot all the way to the heel. Personal preference I guess, but it was a heck of lot easier to kick out and get loose if you got in a storm if your foot wasn't halfway in the stirrup.

If it had paid anything, I'd have stayed on the ranch, but I didn't look forward to being broke the rest of my life. LOL The cowhands up in Wyoming were making $400 a month, had a clapped out trailer to live in, and got three beef calves a year to eat. I couldn't see that, but I sure enjoyed the work when I stayed over during hay season and kept the equipment running for the hammer heads to tear up. LOL

A couple of the ranches up there still "roped and dragged" when it was time to work the calvies. We'd go help. THAT WAS FUN! You could rope til you missed three, then it was get off, and get dirty til it was your turn again. :Dbounce: They had a few hands up there that just never missed. Guess they didn't like gettin dirty. :)

Here's a pic of my uncle A. L. Lansford. Pictures were taken in South Texas in 1941. Allie (Al-E) was tougher than wet leather. I've got that Mod95 SRC that he's holding in one of the pics. It's down at Dad's in his gun safe. It's chambered for 30 US Gov't 1903. It'll shoot '06 stuff no problem. It's a hard kicking SOB, I'll tell ya that.

Allie shot it out with more than one bunch of Mexican bandits as his ranch was close to the Mexican border between Carrizo Springs and Freer, TX. Rough damn country. EVERYTHING sticks, bites, stings, or scratches in that country.

Allie wore a brush jacket like he has on and khaki pants 365 days a year. Never saw him with his pants outside his boots either. He died when I was a kid. He was a neat old buzzard.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:48 pm 

Something you learn first day of branding... keep a boot over the calf's bung hole or your jeans will quickly become green. And smelly. :-o That and when pushing cattle up to the squeeze chute, stay close. You don't get kicked as hard that way. Don't ask me how I know. ;)

Ranch life is either in your blood or it isn't. I came back from beautiful SE Asia and nobody had gotten around to inventing a saddle heater. After 2 or 3 weeks of freezing my butt off, I left for college. Dad said it was the only smart thing I ever did. SW

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:04 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Back in the 80's when I was hauling cattle for the 7L, I brought a load of kids out of Texas up to WY and it was FUGGIN COLD! I spent the night at the ranch and we decided the next morning we's saddle up an push the kids out to the meadow, which was actually what was left of Lake Ione after it was drained. Looked like a huge crater, but it made a great wind break for the new kids. the ranch foreman was from OK, I was from TX and one other hand was from TX. Most all the rest of the help was from the Laramie area. We were saddled and ready to ride at daylight. Temp was -5°F. No wind. Smoke from a cigarette went straight up. Unusual for Wyoming, bit it wasn't really all that bad. We waited a bit for the rest of bunch to show. The foreman went to the house and called the clowns and they told him IT WAS TOO COLD TO WORK! We shrugged it off, had a good laugh, and took the kids to the meadow.

Later on in the summer, it commenced to heating up a bit. It got to 95° about lunch and all the Wyoming hands headed for the house. Asked 'em WTF? They replied IT WAS TOO HOT TO WORK!

I looked at the foreman and said, "Well shit Joe, when it's too tough for the natives, it's just right for us." Joe about peed himself laughing and the Wyoming hands asses flapped open like a two dollar suit case! They didn't appreciate that at all. The story got out by jack rabbit telegraph I guess, and those SOB's never did live that one down.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:00 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

Back around 1950 I had a neighbor that used horses to farm. When it was hay time he had an elevator type thing that put the hay up over the wagon and we would pull it to be back and stack it. Had a lift in the barn pulled by the horses till he got a small tractor. The hay was stacked loose in the loft. I'm thinking after he got the tractor the mower was converted to be used with it. My brother and I and his grand kids usually worked the wagon and the loft.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:23 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

great old photos , you can almost smell the land [and of coarse the critters]