[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Memorial Day cemetery pics

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:21 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I drove over to leave a wreath at my sister's stone at a remote cemetery near Chimney Rock. It's about halfway between here and where we grew up. My BiL thought it a peaceful place, and it is. At the end of a dirt road with no gravel.

Rather then a stone, he placed a marble bench so folks could sit and snipe a prairie dog or two while remembering the good times. I meant to do just that, but there are cattle among them, and it's poor form to shoot into the cattle. I did stick a shooter in my pocket for rattlesnakes. Didn't see any, but I have killed them here before. I really watched where I was stepping!

Even though it's the holiday weekend, I was alone there. Just me and the cattle. Very peaceful.

This cemetery was started in the early 1850s when the Oregon Trail was going strong. Unfortunately, to be buried here back then, you had to die a day's travel one way or the other. Embalming was not an option.

It always rains here for Memorial Day. When it started, I made my way back to the truck. Dirt roads with no gravel are no fun when it rains! Last time I was out here, I saw tracks I was sure glad I didn't make!

I took a few pics. Not many of the old stones are readable. As with other old cemeteries, there are a lot of head stones for children under 5 years of age. Infant mortality was severe then. Many of the pioneer graves had wooden markers which have crumbled away over the years. No telling how many people are actually buried.

Pics: From the parking lot, this is the view of Chimney rock and the cemetery entrance.
cemetery 001 (1024x683).jpg
cemetery 001 (1024x683).jpg [ 258.17 KiB | Viewed 6696 times ]

cemetery 002 (1024x683).jpg
cemetery 002 (1024x683).jpg [ 283.89 KiB | Viewed 6696 times ]

Here are a few of the stones I could actually read. Many are for infants and small children. The pointy looking plants are "soapweed" or Spanish dagger, if you'd rather. The roots are a prime hiding spot for rattlesnakes.
cemetery 003 (1024x683).jpg
cemetery 003 (1024x683).jpg [ 559.51 KiB | Viewed 6696 times ]

cemetery 004 (1024x683).jpg
cemetery 004 (1024x683).jpg [ 559.74 KiB | Viewed 6696 times ]

cemetery 007 (1024x683).jpg
cemetery 007 (1024x683).jpg [ 472.32 KiB | Viewed 6696 times ]

cemetery 008 (1024x683).jpg
cemetery 008 (1024x683).jpg [ 510.34 KiB | Viewed 6696 times ]

cemetery 009 (1024x683).jpg
cemetery 009 (1024x683).jpg [ 704.98 KiB | Viewed 6696 times ]

This is my sister's marker. The bench faces our home town - about 12 miles away. Her children's names are visible - her inscription is on the other side.
cemetery 005 (1024x683).jpg
cemetery 005 (1024x683).jpg [ 336.47 KiB | Viewed 6696 times ]

A shot of the cattle. There are a few longhorns in this pasture, but they didn't want to pose.
cemetery 006 (1024x683).jpg
cemetery 006 (1024x683).jpg [ 350.82 KiB | Viewed 6696 times ]

And a parting shot of Chimney Rock looking toward the parking lot. It was starting to rain & roads with no gravel aren't much fun when wet!
cemetery 010 (1024x683).jpg
cemetery 010 (1024x683).jpg [ 306.84 KiB | Viewed 6696 times ]

Overall, it was very peaceful. I'm glad I went. SW

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:48 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i can see what you were feeling , it looks a peaceful place ,

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:08 pm 
The Knife
The Knife

Been past Chimney Rock a few times, stopped once but didn't see the cemetery.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member
AMA Life Member
Tri-State Gun Collectors Life Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:38 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...absolutely beautiful.................

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:46 pm 

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:40 pm 
VA-75 Spook
VA-75 Spook

...I figgered it HAD to be a historic site....sure 'nuf it is....I just did a google-fu on the cemetery and came up with all sorts of great info... :Dbounce:
https://www.google.com/search?q=chimney ... channel=sb

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:14 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i was there back in the early 60s , i never imagined i might actually know of someone buried there , this is an interesting turn of events

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:57 pm 
Major
Major

I stole your first photo as wallpaper/
Beautiful, and serene!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:19 pm 

Little mutt wanted out to do her biz @ 0530 so we loaded up & went out there to leave another wreath. Too early for tourists and too chilly for rattlesnakes. What a peaceful setting! Flop ears must have felt the peace, too - she didn't even bark at the cattle. Got back to the hiway & plenty of traffic already - people getting an early start on the holiday. I'll go over to leave a wreath for Mom & Dad tomorrow. SW

cemetery 002 (800x1024).jpg
cemetery 002 (800x1024).jpg [ 674.59 KiB | Viewed 5828 times ]

cemetery 006 (1024x611).jpg
cemetery 006 (1024x611).jpg [ 317.33 KiB | Viewed 5828 times ]

There was a lodge in a pasture - probably set up by the historical society. I like early morning natural light for photography - you can see in the lodge pic the effect was pretty much gone.
cemetery 008 (1024x622).jpg
cemetery 008 (1024x622).jpg [ 270.23 KiB | Viewed 5828 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:12 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

again - what a great spot , i would think it peaceful even in a storm , has that feel of eternity that you cannot find in city plots , i think i would prefer my ashes along the river myself , would not seem so planted in space or time , but ive really not thought of it except when we were dealing with family - mine generally put their wishes down so there is no confusion , my remoteness may require me to do such one day soon so there is no doubt between blood and inlaws ,

im not going to make it to the relatives sites again this year , my sister does , my brother seems indifferent but i think its because it stirs emotions he would rather keep private ,

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:58 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Nice pix, Steve.
The finish on that bench has stood the weather well.
I'm gonna hafta go and check on Dad this week-end....
And I'm not leaving the camera behind.
Like that last shot.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:20 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Dad finally got his rock!

Brookside Field Of Honour. Taken from Dad's stone. This shows about 1/3rd of the military section...

Sister's stone took a bit of a clean-up

Other sis still awaiting a rock....

There was a p/d that was willing to pose- will get it up later.
Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:43 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

doc , your sister was young , thats sad , was the other as well ? hope the marker gets there for next years memorial , we so often share a lot in a very small post here , thank you for reminding me how precious life is and how important it is for us to remember - even if only once a year , and thank you for sharing your remembrance with us ,