[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - I went to a gunshot for bullets and this followed me home

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:01 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

DSCN0182.JPG
DSCN0182.JPG [ 129.19 KiB | Viewed 6691 times ]
DSCN0181.JPG
DSCN0181.JPG [ 126.56 KiB | Viewed 6691 times ]

I had been looking for a FN FAL and this vendor had several. I didn't give any of the Century Arms product a first look much less a second. Took it to the range today with Citizen Swihart and it was an eventful afternoon. I will absolutely be repeating this days fun. :jmp:

"We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat; they do not exist"
Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:29 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

very nice , a worthy example of what this fine arm is , mine has a folding stock , these fought in every country ive ever heard of conflict in for a really long time including the falklands

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:52 am 
The Butcher
The Butcher

Is this the Austrian (Steyer) version ?
Fore-end surely is.
A

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:50 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Those larger bullets were…..somewhat fun. They sure woke you up when fired. Ah, to use surplus ammo in the future.

Nice pick up. AR-15 build for me, probably.

Best Regards,

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:38 pm 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Andrey,

Been out of town for a while so I just now could reply. You are correct sir, the front end is indeed and Austrian. The rest of the rifle is from DS Arms of Illinois. The first time out, I was using a 178 grain bullet. The rifle, while it cycled the round did not like it. It made its displeasure known in excessive recoil and fairly mangled brass. I have since done a bit of reading and gave learned the 'correct' weight is 147 grain bullet. I have a batch of supposed 150 grain bullets but when weighed, they check in at 148. I'll reload some of these and give them a tryout.

Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:23 am 
The Butcher
The Butcher

Hi there,

I'm not a reloader so I wouldn't know.
But the Steyer barrels are supposed to be the best of the bunch.
We don't have those mix & match guns over here.
They're either belgian (FAL), british (SLR) or Austrian (Steyer) army surplus rifles.
The Steyers are the most expensive and sought after.
Most people just use cheap (if you can call it that) surplus ammo.

BRGDS, A

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:34 am 
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Been a while since I've seen ANY surplus ammo for a FAL in this area. Now if you want com bloc or 8mm Mauser, it's all over the place. Hence, the reloading effort.
My favorite pusher (oops, dealer) had an Austrian FAL that he was akin $1700.00 USD for. Given his pricing, it would go for considerably more on gun broker.

Victoria 1899

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:37 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Been enjoying my FAL also, kinda came home with me the same way via a horsetrade. The Alcan Spectre scope came home with me courtesy of Afghanistan. I reload for mine using 150 gr fmj or some military 147 pull down bullet, have some commercial and surplus stashed away. Probably around 2000 rounds. That is a nice rifle you have.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:00 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

mine is one of that small group of belgians that got imported here late 60s/early 70s as a 308 match rifle

had a leatherwood scope on it for a while -

but found i liked the dot setup on this one -

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:59 am 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

A "match" model like that with solid stock just sold in the area for 1200 at an estate sale . I couldn't get it though did get some LC Match ammo from 1967 for 2.50 a box though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:37 pm 
Lance Cpl
Lance Cpl

Sweet lookin rifle. I have a soft spot in my heart for those things as well.
Stg58 Enterprise Arms.

I managed to get 1K rds of Swedish milsurp a while back for .40 a pop. Found some CBC stuff locally and bought a bunch of that. Have yet to shoot any of it.

You are probably aware of it, but those things do have a gas regulator on them
the knurled knob under the "50" on the grenade sight in this pic.
and you can set it where it'll shoot about any mixture and not beat itself to death.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:32 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

"....
A "match" model like that with solid stock just sold in the area for 1200 at an estate sale . I couldn't get it though did get some LC Match ammo from 1967 for 2.50 a box though.
....."

that was a good buy , i have happened upon some 308 fodder but mostly years ago when it was cheap , i have radway green and lake city vintage and some remington modern , need to split it between my FAL and M1A1 these days