[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Nikon camera pic for Doc

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:14 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Leather body wrap on the camera in first 2 photo's sez Kiev 3 to me.
I doubt it's Leica.
Camera in 3rd photo is definitely a Leica- one of the modern rangefinders that I'm none too familiar with.

The last one would kind of qualify as long range...
50mm, f 0.7 :-o :-o Zeiss Planar on a heavily modified Nikon F body.
It, and eight others, were built for NASA at the start of the Apollo program.
By the time of the first moon landing, NASA had started with the Hasselblad system.
There were still a few differently modified Nikons around though....
Note the absence of controls on the camera body in this photo.
Camera is computer controlled through the dual prong that protrudes from the side of the lens...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:45 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

f 0.7! You'd have to save up a lot of Cheerios box tops for that! Not to mention what a high end Leica would set you back. SW

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:36 am 

Quite an assortment of cameras at this photo op, but I don't think there's a Nikon in sight. (I *think* the celebrity is Shah Pahlavi of Iran.) SW
pic3.jpg
pic3.jpg [ 240.91 KiB | Viewed 4443 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:35 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

There are 2 nikons here:

A Nikkormat FT at upper left,
and a Nikon F at upper right with waist level finder collapsed.
50mm f1.4 s.c. on the nikkormat.
Not sure what's on the Nikon F- it's a little big for a 50, and small for an 85.
Think there's an MD_1 motor on the F.
Might be a 35 f2.8, but I'm not sure they were made as early as 61 or 62 when this was taken.
Rangefinder in the center looks like a late variant Argus, just before they partnered with Cosina of Japan...
You are right about it being the Shah of Iran.
He was quite a hunter, and had two Win. model 70's that were quite well documented in one of my old G/D's.

Edit: just took the image up to 175%. Both are Nikon F.
Got the S.C. lens right though. The other is real hard to i.d. the lens.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:35 pm 

Argus... I hear that brand, I immediately think of "the brick". I have one downstairs somewhere. Got it for a fiver at a garage sale just to try it out. Didn't do too badly, but I was used to Olympus so on a shelf it went. SW

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:11 pm 

Another comment - I didn't think there were Nikons since this was in a photoset from Russia during the Soviet years. "Use your Zenit, Comrade or the KGB might pay a visit!" SW

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:02 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

The chrome-dome poking up at image center right may be Nikita K.?
Not so much of a stretch for Nikon's to be there.
The Shah may have had an attachment of Iranian "journalists" that traveled with him...

Edit: Google-fu confirms it's Kruschev.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:53 am 

I'd like to have the cash in my pocket he paid for that medium format rig. SW
pic1a (2).jpg
pic1a (2).jpg [ 163.52 KiB | Viewed 4419 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:00 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Nikon F with the first variant photomic finder.
Another 50mm f1.4 s lens.

I'm fairly certain that is a Koni Omega camera in his hand.
I had a chance at one when I was living in Toronto.
The lenses for it were far above the S series zenzanons in price, and I had to pass.
6 X 7 cm behind a leaf shutter lens.
In theory, it shouldn't get much better than that.
I talked to pro's who said the rangefinder on the Omega was excellent in low light...
He's wearing the right blazer.
I could carry four rolls of 120 or 220 in each pocket of mine :bigrin:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:07 am 

I should probably start a misc. cameras thread, but I'll leave these here for now. SW

60s vintage TLR
camera1.jpg
camera1.jpg [ 313.66 KiB | Viewed 4307 times ]

Got a camera - now to use it somehow.
camera2.jpg
camera2.jpg [ 80.11 KiB | Viewed 4307 times ]

Gen 1 Polaroid. Mom had one, but we could only afford like one pack of film a month.
No idea whatever became of it - probably got tossed when cheaper gear came along.
camera4.jpg
camera4.jpg [ 178.87 KiB | Viewed 4307 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:37 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Second photo is a Busch Pressman "D" camera.
Might be the Hillary expedition and climb, but he was partial to Leica, IIRC.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:59 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

First one is a Yashica D.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:44 pm 

If I remember right from my limited TLR experience, you have to be careful composing your image when shooting that close. SW