[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Some more local snaps

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:29 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I like the 2nd frame.
Nicely done for hand-held p&s.
The color improvement of the G-9 over the earlier pocket models is readily apparent.

There are faint rumblings about a "new" sensor in the works- not sure if it's internet rumor or not.
It's supposed to significantly boost exposure ability at common sense ISO's.

I am looking forward to warmer weather this year.
I wanna spend some time up on the escarpment shooting both guns and cameras.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:03 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Howling blizzard in Truckistan on Friday.

Taken with the Tamron zoom I scored for 2 bucks.
Nice to see a zoom this sharp.
Very few people around. Driving was getting a bit iffy, even in town.
Got hung up pretty bad over the ruts iced in over by sister's place.
My back is still feeling the shovel out...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:12 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i hear your pain - in the back , i shoveled today and will again tomorrow from this winter storm , my back is hurting and ive not fallen on the ice since early december , life is good but it hurts every day these days ,

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:37 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

I questioned wifey buying me a snow blower for Christmas, but I'm really getting used to it. Used it again this morning & only took a bit to clear my drive & walk - also same for 2 neighbors.

Took the dog out for a short hike, but it was -3 here, so it was a VERY short hike. On 3 legs! SW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:33 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

minus 32 C here right now.

I think that's 26 below zero gesundheit.
I am going to have to run the car in a little while to prevent the new battery from freezing if I can.
This is where I worry about condensation forming on the D-810's sensor.
The current high pressure ridge is supposed to stick around for the remainder of the week.
There's a lot of snow here- about 30" on the ground, and at least 6 more weeks of possible snow weather.

The white-tailed deer are probably having a rough go of it. Most of the snow is well wind-packed.
They are probably back to eating tree bark, if they're getting anything at all...

The flip side to this is there is going to be enough water to catch walleye in by mid-May :bigrin:

Dog acting funny in the cold Hogger?

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:52 am 

Yep. She's a real weenie dog! Went out again this morning and it didn't take long for her to look at me like, "Let's go home where it's warm!" So we did.

-3 here this morning with blowing snow, Not nearly as bad as what you have but still not nice. I looked for cattle with snow on their backs, but one close enough to the road for a decent pic. I got this one of blizzard in progress. SW
IMG_0121 (2).JPG
IMG_0121 (2).JPG [ 942.67 KiB | Viewed 18954 times ]

Still haven't charged the camera battery since I got it. Plenty of room on the 16gig SD card, too since I don't store pics in camera.

I usually have an idea of what shots I hope to take and don't stray too far from that idea.

Here's one of Flop Ears after she sat on a heater vent & got warmed up.
IMG_2913 (2).JPG
IMG_2913 (2).JPG [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 18954 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:39 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Took this yesterday a.m., and actually got a bit of blue sky...

Believe it or not, there's actually grey squirrels out and about, trying to feed in this cold stuff.
They usually wait for about minus 10-15 C before coming active.
Probably been too long of a wait for them.
The fox squirrels are out all the time.
This weather has been in a bit of a holding pattern...
The top of the heat exchanger in mid-background, extreme left shows how much snow is piled up.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:29 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

My daily outing took me a bit further.
Oil hit over 100.00 U.S. a bbl this a.m., and I figured I should fill the tank before the pump price gets jacked up.

There's Sam the Wonder Schmuck (err Chev) on Assiniboine Crescent at the access poit to Sturgeon Creek I like.

The creek has come up 4 feet since Feb 8 or so, when they opened the dam at Lake of the Prairies, in anticipation of high run-off this spring.
I don't think there is safe ice left anywhere now.

I was right about the deer last week. These tiny droppings exemplify nettles and tree-bark diet.
Looks like grand central for deer in here- covered in tracks...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:12 pm 

"Corn stalks - yum!"
IMG_0124 (2).JPG
IMG_0124 (2).JPG [ 773.55 KiB | Viewed 18937 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:13 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Nice shot Steve!
Some nice steaks on that one.
Nicely detailed landscape too.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:42 pm 

Still playing around trying for ambient light pics. SW
IMG_0126 (2).JPG
IMG_0126 (2).JPG [ 1.03 MiB | Viewed 18914 times ]

Sunrise on geese in the N Platte river.
IMG_0131 (2).JPG
IMG_0131 (2).JPG [ 1 MiB | Viewed 18914 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:38 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Starting to get the "sweet light" in there.
Nice going, and interesting landscapes.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:41 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Went looking for deer falumping through the deep snow, and no dice.
Not even a wascally wabbit or screeching squill :P

Bit of a strangely back-lit landscape. With the recently converted S.C. Nikkor 50mm 1.4 at f5.6.
Shows a little of a deer trail. What is not apparent is the depth of the snow.
Note the bark stripped off the small Ash tree at just right of image center.

There's sis with D-200 and 80-200mm f4.5 Nikkor.
Taken with the 50 1.4 wide open.
Very likely what this lens was made for.

Someone's trying to feed something here. Frozen solid farm-fresh blue berries at f5.6 with the 50mm 1.4 yet again...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:19 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

At sunset last night:

She gave me enough time to run in and grab the camera.
Nikkor 300mm f4.5 at f5.6 , IIRC.
This pregnant lady lucked into some pizza crust some-where, and she wasn't about to quit her meal over a slightly sneaky photog... :bigrin:

This lens fringes slightly shooting close to the sunset.
Not really dis-appointed.
It still seems to work well enough, despite the over magenta and green.
It's a big heavy lens with tripod collar that should actually be used.
When it warms up a bit....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:48 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Up in Beaudry Park:

Recent feeding area.

There's your culprits there. Ton of these tracks around. Site is still active with about 1/2 the meat left.

Thought I was seeing things at first. There were purple martins flitting in and out of this hole, feeding- and then I got it. They were after the berries in the stomach that the predators turned their noses up at.

On a much happier note, a few are surviving.
This scrawny doe is doing the spring-time fur molt already. We can't be that far off of warm weather...
Sis snapped this with her phone through the car window driving back through Headingley.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:29 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

we have a small herd of about a dozen living in the woods across the river from our back yard , they have taken to crossing the frozen water and hanging out in the back yard eating the ewes and bark off a couple of the trees , hoping we get a thaw soon to expose some other forage for them , they are fair sized overall , possibly a couple pregnant ones - we shall see if we get fawns this spring ,

its been a decade since vwe have seen them in the yard , only a glimpse across the river now and again , they dont seem bothered when we are in the windows or when the dog spots them and barks , somehow know he is not a threat i guess ,

one of them has to have been hit by a car in the hind quarters - has a noticeable limp and posture issue , feel bad for it but seems to be keeping up ,

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:33 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

This had been an outing for squirrels.
Of course, not a one to be seen.
Deer in the military section at Brookside?
Fine. I'll take it :bigrin:
Dad would certainly get a chuckle out of this.

Crop of the above image.
Nikkor Q 135mm f3.5 at f11, 1/250 sec at ISO 100.
about 120 yards...

The military section in here is much bigger than I realized.
About 800 yards at it's widest, 200 at it's narrowest, and over a mile and a quarter long...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:39 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

A few more frames from yesterday's outing:

Still with the 135 f3.5 Q nikkor. At f8 with the dedicated hood shade and coated nikkor filter L-37-C mounted. It wants to flare badly towards the sun. Sometimes these lens defects make for interesting images.

At f8 again and 1/500 sec. The provincial flag is trying to wrap it's self around the pole.
Stiff N x N/W breeze. She's getting a bit tattered, and will likely be replaced this spring.

Bird feeding station in the military section.
Choice of gourmet seeds, or fresh daily plain white toast :bigrin:
Not sure what this is- a bit bright for a martin. The city put up purple martin houses in here a long time ago, and one still stands not too far away from here.
Whatever it is, it's movements were a bit fast for the D-810's shutter at 1/125 sec and f11....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:42 pm 

Without watching the weather channel, I could tell we were in for a change. Foggy yesterday...
IMG_0134 (2).JPG
IMG_0134 (2).JPG [ 591.26 KiB | Viewed 18807 times ]

4+ inches of snow today.
IMG_0138.JPG
IMG_0138.JPG [ 2.25 MiB | Viewed 18807 times ]

This was still in the SD card from last week (I try to keep it cleaned out) Some very nervous ducks keeping an eye on two eagles. I thought something was up - dog tried to rev them up but they didn't leave.
IMG_0137 (2).JPG
IMG_0137 (2).JPG [ 204.37 KiB | Viewed 18807 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:36 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

#1 above is print material.
Very nice going with the ambient light!
We are plagued with the high voltage towers here too.
It's actually kind of hard to do a frame around here without one sneaking in.
I am itching for spring.
I'd like to get up by the river in Sandilands and do a wood-fire coffee. It's been a while.
The snow you got just missed us- by less than 20 miles.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next