[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Some more local snaps

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:20 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

50mm A/I Nikkor f1.4 at ISO 640 and f2.8

50mm A/I Nikkor f1.4 at ISO 200 and f5.6
Both images are about 85% crops, so kudos to this lens.
The D-810's focus confirmation system wanders quite a bit with this lens.
It's not as easy to focus on the D-810 as the old 50mm Nikkor "H" f2, but still decent enough.

Some more urban wildlife.
This buck is nearing the end of the velvet stage.
Fur molt has already started too.

Rabbit in back-ground of second pic is trying to scratch bug bites.
Beginning now to understand the origins and intent behind "Bugs Bunny".

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:57 am 
Major
Major

Most impressive deer pic.
Doubly so, considering the narrow depth of field offered by a pretty much wide open aperture. Kudos are in order.

Here, I'm pretty sure the neighborhood Black Bear (singular) ran my deer off. I don't have any bear pics to share. I'm not saying we haven't been uncomfortably close. I'm saying I'm not usually in the mood to take pictures when I am.

Local coyotes are skitterish. If they spot me first, they're gone.
This one was acting like he knew I was there. He just having trouble getting a fix where 'there' was.
IMGP3058_01.jpg
IMGP3058_01.jpg [ 444.79 KiB | Viewed 12008 times ]

IMGP3059_1.jpg
IMGP3059_1.jpg [ 405.05 KiB | Viewed 12008 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:52 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

"Balloon races" here through the weekend. Tried to get a shot of flames during takeoff but no luck. Had to keep a close eye on other drivers not paying attention to the road. Also roadies tearing out of the launch field to go pick up their balloonie when they ran out of propane. SW

IMG_0394 (2).JPG
IMG_0394 (2).JPG [ 48.23 KiB | Viewed 11978 times ]

IMG_0392 (2).JPG
IMG_0392 (2).JPG [ 60.48 KiB | Viewed 11978 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:37 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

That sensor sure handles complicated imagery scenes quite well!
I'd be interested in exactly what processor that is.

Your pix of late don't always click open, and the ones that do are quite small...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:47 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

A new entry to the Urban Wildlife file:

50mm f2 Nikkor "H" at f4 at about 30 yds.
This is an at least 85% crop.
I find performance like this out of a normal lens of this early sixties vintage to be amazing.

Another frame of the same bird, same lens...

Same bird doing it's Snoopy Vulture routine. Taken with the Nikkor 200mmm f4 at f5.6.
Kinda pushing it for the little pop-up flash at about 25 feet.

Bird didn't mind posing, and I have quite a few usable frames...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:25 pm 
Major
Major

I was led to believe I wouldn't be able to post an image measuring larger than 800 pixels wide by 513 high.

red_garter.jpg
red_garter.jpg [ 373.28 KiB | Viewed 11954 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:59 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

The cut off seems to be 530 in height.
Nice garter snake.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:38 pm 
Major
Major

Thanx
The red dots down her sides made her a standout. I'll get the odd snake or two a year.
They're usually on their way to somewhere else and I'm okay with that.

Last edited by dragonsdad on Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:48 am 
Major
Major

Owls can be moody when it comes to posing
IMGP1197_edited-1.jpg
IMGP1197_edited-1.jpg [ 162.88 KiB | Viewed 11929 times ]

IMGP1175.jpg
IMGP1175.jpg [ 190.46 KiB | Viewed 11921 times ]

Pentax DSLR / manual lens (variable)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:33 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Lotta steak on this one.
I haven't seen this buck before.
Right in town here at Sturgeon Creek yet again.
It's gonna get sort of interesting down there come 3rd week of October...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:55 pm 
Major
Major

Never let them 'help' you work on the truck.

NoHelp.jpg
NoHelp.jpg [ 358.89 KiB | Viewed 11880 times ]

They'll drink your beer, lose your tools and really don't know much about trucks to begin with.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:06 pm 
Major
Major

IMGP2781.jpg
IMGP2781.jpg [ 257.78 KiB | Viewed 11874 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:07 pm 
Major
Major

IMGP2177.jpg
IMGP2177.jpg [ 219.99 KiB | Viewed 11874 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:42 am 
Major
Major

That poor abused shrub looking thing is a 40 year old pear tree.
IMGP2866.jpg
IMGP2866.jpg [ 309.94 KiB | Viewed 11870 times ]

Deer were doing a good job of cleaning up the fallen fruit before a black bear decided that was his job.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:26 pm 
Major
Major

Virginia & Truckee RR bridge.
The track, pulled up around 1951 ran less than 100 yrds from where I'm sitting as I type this. This structure was less than 1/2 mile from here.

BridgeScanDeResed.jpg
BridgeScanDeResed.jpg [ 311.13 KiB | Viewed 11854 times ]

Kodak Retinette, PanX film

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:02 am 
Major
Major

same bridge / new camera
45 years later- standing on the other side of the bridge, looking back toward where I stood to take the pic posted above
Canyon1_Sepia.jpg
Canyon1_Sepia.jpg [ 158.01 KiB | Viewed 11848 times ]

Pentax *ist DSLR
I expected to go B&W with this but I really liked the way sepia brought out the bridge wood.
...what's left of it

Except for what locals took for fence posts (and raised garden beds), it's completely gone now.
...lost to a range fire.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:50 pm 
Major
Major

I contributed my two bridge shots (above) to a site specializing in historical interest photography. That's where I discovered I was one of the few, if not the only person to take a shot while standing in that darkened overhang. Most took the other view.

*The following are not my pictures* I wasn't even alive when they were taken.
I'm including them to provide context.
wnhpctbr0289-m.jpg
wnhpctbr0289-m.jpg [ 118.72 KiB | Viewed 11839 times ]

wnhpctbr0335-l.jpg
wnhpctbr0335-l.jpg [ 97.51 KiB | Viewed 11839 times ]

Note the changes to the stonework, obviously done by different people at different times.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:15 pm 

The darkened overhang looks like a good place to find Petey Pit Viper! SW

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:42 pm 

Speaking of Petey...

Not much of a pic - it was full of fight and wasn't holding still for anything. SW
fam2.jpg
fam2.jpg [ 189.65 KiB | Viewed 11835 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:46 pm 

And since it was on the same roll as this... Dad being done for the day & nags about to get a coffee can o' oats. Back story on the caboose was a nearby derailment. Ranch owner bought it for a small sum to use as an office.

I wasn't much into photography then so no telling what kind of cheap P&S I used. SW
Fam1.jpg
Fam1.jpg [ 176.03 KiB | Viewed 11835 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next