[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Misc. cameras, gear or photographers thread

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:03 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

noticed that too , but im not going anywhere , i keep thinking we might get a revival but i suspect most of us have gotten older and found other diversions - i hope all are well and still looking in from time to time - just too lazy to post , the alternatives are not so great i guess ,

i do post on a couple sites - an enfield site , the CAS/SASS site and a 22cal collectors site that all cater to my firearms interest these days , but i miss all the great comradery we had here ,

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:33 am 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Okay, Doc - what's this? I gots no clue and the pic wasn't captioned. SW
pic1a.png
pic1a.png [ 917.22 KiB | Viewed 5960 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:39 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

really big leica ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:24 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I'm not sure.

Based on the color, it looks like a still taken from a modern motion picture.
What ever it is, he's fogged his film with the open camera body...
Might be something that ended up on the cutting room floor from Inglorious Basterds.

At a bit of a loss over the weird uniform too.
I know the s.s. had a propaganda unit, but not sure they rated a unit dedicated uniform...
Name-plate on the camera body looks like I.G. Farben at 400% crop, but not really clearly.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:25 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Not so far off the mark...
Farben was the controlling parent of Agfa, BASF, Bayer and countless others from the early 30's onwards.
Still nothing definitive, but almost certainly a motion picture camera.
Found a shot of what a complete version should look like.
Kind of hard to find one that's properly exposed enough to read nameplates.
Could be j-peg reduction as well, in a very hurried fashion.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:26 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Finally found some decent images of a Kiev-4:

It looks like this is where they dropped the Leica clone bit. (I could be as wrong as heck on this- there is little in print on these)
It does look like an original re-design to me, and the non-coupled meter is also a first see as well.
They seem to have a bit of a user following in the U.K. and Europe...

Any translation on the lens nameplate?

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:05 pm 

It sez "Helios" in Cyrillic - most likely a brand name. SW

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:50 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Kiev-4M

Helios lenses have a good reputation on some of the other boards I'm on.
I had no idea that these were manufactured so recently- '79-'80.

I'm pretty sure the camera here displays a "Jupiter-8 " lens.

This bears some further investigation...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:03 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

you are finding some really cool equipment , your buying habits may also require a storage unit based on what you have posted in the last year ,

i have 3000 sf of finished house , its just my wife and i here for the last 20 years , i have 10x7 den and a similar unused bathroom that i use for reloading , wife allows a couple gun storage units in an upper bedroom that and rest of my stuff is in the garage and i have one stall out there , where the heck do you keep all that camera gear ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:44 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

We are in a small two bedroom in an old brownstone apartment block.

There isn't a lot of room here, and the daily carry bag accomodates less than a 1/3 of the lenses.
I was allowed the entire bedroom closet, and the space in front of the door. Closet is sorta small, about 4 x 5 feet and there's a lot in it.
My reference books had to move to grandson's closet, which is about the same size.
Contain the spill-over gear so far into a hard-sided bag, and a large padded back pack. Even the space under my computer desk takes up stuff.

Note- I did NOT buy a Kiev-4m, and likely won't. The nikon stuff and the 6 x 9 folder cameras are pushing the space limits here.

I sold off a few 80's era nikons, and perhaps half a dozen or so lenses when the KEH camera circus was here last fall. Will probably do some more again this year.
I may need to build a vault again for the long guns, but am at sort of a loss as to where I'm going to put it. I really should start selling some off- I don't think the wife could handle it if I went before her...

I am sure learning a lot about lenses these days :bigrin:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:40 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Finally got this done.
I have been itching for the longest time to get this lens converted so it would mount on my digital nikon.

It proved to be a real beaut of a lens wide open on film.

The job required the aperture ring to be removed from the lens rear, and a notch cut into it so it would mount on the modern A/I indexing mount.
The hardest part was getting the bayonet screws off the rear of the lens.
They were epoxied in by the factory, and took a lot of heat and re-heat to break the five decade old epoxy.
Got a cheapie electronics soldering iron, and it turned the trick.
Heat-up on the iron is slow- same as in the 70's- allow 10-15 min for operating temperature.
That epoxy is a tough nut to crack.
Running the screw in a tiny bit of a turn after heat application helped break the bond.
I probably would have stripped the straight-slotted flat heads trying to back them out first.
The notch cutting went as expected, almost.
I dinged the ring up a bit doing the two starter cuts with a chattering cut-off wheel in the dremel.
The majority of the cutting was done by hand with a small M/B file....

I am right pleased with myself!
Just two more old nikkors to do this to... :bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Last edited by Doc Sharptail on Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:50 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i do not think i would have tackled that job , congrats , it looks great and am sure you will be pleased ,

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:03 pm 

I love hand fitting projects like this! Great work!! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:18 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Area circled in computer paint shows what was rebated, and the effects of a chattering cut-off wheel in the dremel moto-tool. :roll: :roll:

Here's a couple of quick test shots with the newly converted lens:

Looks like we're in like Flynn :P
I'll get it outside soonish I hope....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:22 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Next Patient!!!!

Taken with the 1.4 50mm discussed earlier here.
200mm Q.C. Nikkor f4.

There's the finished job.
This one was a lot easier to work on.
Cross-point screws without epoxy.
The internals are much improved over the first lens I did.
I passed on the dremel this time, and did all the cutting with hand files. Much cleaner results!

This lens performs a bit differently over it's modern replacement, which I also have. I am hard pressed to say anything negative about this one. It was a very decent performer on film with the F2 camera.

Currently testing the heck out of the 50mm f1.4. It is not a modern optical design. I do like it's character and definition. I will get a few images up in the next little while. The extreme cold stuff has broken for a bit, and I may get out Sunday some where for a look around.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:38 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

so ............... i see the stanley thermos cup in the lower left of that last photo - i have one that dates back to the early 60s i use for my manhattans , it is just perfect for my mix , it has a dent in it that was received when my thermos was destroyed in a tragic construction accident in the 70s , i bought the original to be part of my camping gear ....it held up well , in spite of its demise , the cup lives on [and gets used regularly]

im an eccentric sort in some cases and i cling to weird bits of past life for no reason i can explain at all

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:54 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I've been doing the "My Cup" thing for quite a while now, and fortunately, Mrs. S. understands it fully.
Cup in picture I've had about 5 years. It's actually a ceramic picked up in a thrift shop. It holds almost a pint of black coffee with a bit of sugar in it. It replaced a slightly bigger V style ceramic that kept coffee hot for a good long time. This one cools pretty fast....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:54 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Got the last one done.
This has been sort of a hole in my shooting- it's been quite a while for me to use this focal length.

Nikkor Q 135mm f3.5.
I had to resort to some unorthodox red-neck lens modification on this job.
The seized and torn up screws gave me little choice.
Tape everything up possible on the lens, and have at the aperture ring with the dremel with the aperture ring still on the lens.
Vacuum everything off before tape off.
Only had to re-tape once after notch size check on the camera.
It looks like a real hatchet job, but it works.
Just cosmetically ugly :P.

Test shots here as soon as I take them and get them up loaded.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:38 am 

And no duct tape showing! ;) Great job! :bigrin: SW

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:52 am 

Camera collection - possibly mostly Kodak
camera2.jpg
camera2.jpg [ 132.73 KiB | Viewed 5840 times ]

"Moment" folder with bellows that has seen better days.
camera1.jpg
camera1.jpg [ 117.83 KiB | Viewed 5840 times ]

Kodak advertising-mobile ca. 1912
pic1Kodak1912.jpg
pic1Kodak1912.jpg [ 118.52 KiB | Viewed 5840 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next