[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Clouds

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Clouds
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:15 pm 
Major
Major

"again..."

That's the thing. I know some, if not most people have already had to sit through these once already and I'm just repeating myself. No matter how much I impress me, it's only a hobby. A life long interest, maybe... but that's my problem.

Actually, I had intended to edit Janie (above) and replace her with a scanned print. Reason being, it's more 'on-topic', (cloud related). You know how I struggle with staying on topic.
grave Steamboat.jpg
grave Steamboat.jpg [ 87.16 KiB | Viewed 8133 times ]

TriX /Retinette IA- non-flash, non-rangefinder version
(my first camera and I felt obligated to learn what all the numbers and dials were for) Friend of mine and I taught ourselves some darkroom skills. I was 16-17 at the time.

I passed this grave on the way to school and back every day for years. It's still there / considerably broken down now. I have a properly exposed shot of the marker somewhere but this is the picture I wanted.

edited to add-
*** on the hillside above U.S. Highway 395, near Steamboat Springs, you can find a dark, gray granite marker carved with the image of a covered wagon. Carved words state the spot is the final resting place of Jeremiah Rogers, native of Indiana, born 1830 and died 1861.

Rogers apparently died while making the journey to California. Fortunately for him, 20th century descendants hunted down the site of his grave and erected the impressive marker and a small fence to protect his final resting place.

https://www.nevadaappeal.com/news/2017/ ... any-tales/

Last edited by dragonsdad on Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:11 am 
Major
Major

somewhat more recent
sunrise_glow.jpg
sunrise_glow.jpg [ 186.86 KiB | Viewed 8122 times ]

Pentax DSLR / ISO 200 / stock lens

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:05 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:13 pm 
Major
Major

I'll be looking forward to that.

In the meantime...
silverLined.jpg
silverLined.jpg [ 144.23 KiB | Viewed 8107 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:45 am 
Major
Major

California wildfires can make for colorful sunsets.
Not always, but sometimes.
SmokySunset_1.jpg
SmokySunset_1.jpg [ 307.66 KiB | Viewed 8105 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:25 pm 
Major
Major

I usually try to go with the premise that a good photo shouldn't need an explanation but sometimes there's no getting around it.
SmokeMorph_1.jpg
SmokeMorph_1.jpg [ 64.77 KiB | Viewed 8101 times ]

the explanation-
Departing thunderclouds left a lightning strike fire behind.
Smoke from the fire is contributing to the departing clouds.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:12 pm 
Major
Major

Too much? anybody?
I don't want to be the guy that floods a forum.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:53 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

found some pics on the old laptop,

clouds, not sure if taken with the nikon or a cell, but the color in part was kinda a rainbow,
kinda

Attachments:
File comment: cloud
cloudyy.jpg
cloudyy.jpg [ 48.5 KiB | Viewed 8095 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:29 pm 
Major
Major

found some pics on the old laptop,

clouds, not sure if taken with the nikon or a cell, but the color in part was kinda a rainbow,
kinda

Sweet!
and... thank you

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:43 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

not exactly impressive,

however,

these were shot, I think with my cell, from my back deck looking east
the trees are on my property line,
they are dark not because of the cell pics, but due to the sun being below the tree line behind me

I always found it interesting the way the clouds are catching some of the last light of the day, while the area below (as in my house\yard) are getting dark

Attachments:
cloud6yy.jpg
cloud6yy.jpg [ 45.18 KiB | Viewed 8091 times ]
cloud5yy.jpg
cloud5yy.jpg [ 57.57 KiB | Viewed 8091 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:44 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

last one

Attachments:
cloud7yy.jpg
cloud7yy.jpg [ 65.14 KiB | Viewed 8091 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:04 pm 
Major
Major

Along somewhat similar lines, kinda sorta, lighting wise.
Contrail_smear.jpg
Contrail_smear.jpg [ 259.22 KiB | Viewed 8090 times ]

Setting sun that's too low to light up lower hanging clouds, above and below the, much higher contrail.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:26 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

my shots are a bit dim, for whatever reason

in person they seem much brighter,

reminds me off a painting hanging in the National Gallery in DC,
in the stairwell between floors\sections, there is a western pic hanging,
I do not recall the artist, but the pic is yuge, huge yuge type, as in not something you would hang on your wall, it is bigger than your wall,

point is the artist lit up the area he wanted you to see, and seemed, somehow, to dim the rest of the scenery,

in the case of my not that great pics, the cloud is lit up and the rest is just there for reference,

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:33 pm 
Major
Major

Highlighting the area/object of interest.
(thumbs up)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:29 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

From the dim dept:

St. Elmo's Fire over the airport.
Red lightning with no connection to ground.
Taken in sequence with Nikkor 50mm 1.4 A/I wide open at f1.4 and 1/10 sec.
Note blurred land lights.
The big light close to ground at center is a C-130 Hercules landing, and it's actually two Leigh style lights on that air-craft.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:19 am 
Major
Major

Good catch!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:53 am 
Major
Major

self explanatory...
lenticular stack_3.jpg
lenticular stack_3.jpg [ 220.6 KiB | Viewed 8074 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:02 pm 
Major
Major

clouds trying to be lenticular
lenticulars2.jpg
lenticulars2.jpg [ 323.64 KiB | Viewed 8067 times ]

When I say 'trying to', I don't know how much effort that takes or remember if they ever succeeded. All I know is that I get more of the half-formed, 'trying to be' versions rather than the well formed stacks.

When I was a kid, I used to think there were flying saucers hiding inside lenticular clouds were a really poor disguise for a race that traveled through space. We had neighbors into that stuff. I was influenced.

Last edited by dragonsdad on Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:24 am 
Major
Major

Great Basin sunset.
Sunset2.jpg
Sunset2.jpg [ 282.01 KiB | Viewed 8062 times ]

If I could display this full screen, I'd ask the viewer to take note of the oncoming headlights. Taken through the windshield while driving home on I-80. I didn't feel like stopping but wanted the shot.

HP point & shoot.
Fast forward several years and my phone gives more image data to work with.
Heck, my Chinese dash cam returns sharper pics.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:31 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

im enjoying this thread - i do have a couple hotos to add here soon as i can find them , taken in the boundary waters canoe area late one afternoon when we were fixing evening meal ,