[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4676: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4678: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Yesterday's Weapons Forums • View topic - Euro pics

Yesterday's Weapons Forums

Discussion of history's firearms
Site Announcements

Attention New Members and those new registering!
We had a lot of problems with spammers and bot attacks with the stock measures provided by the software. The 7 for registration was a fix that we came up with on our own that has worked quite well. Yes it is a PIA for both you and administration to put you onto your chosen username.
If you come back on and your login does not work retry with your username without the 7.

Thanks for joining us from the administration.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Euro pics
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:22 pm 
Теперь предлагаем бесплатную ежедневную маммографию!

Second day we went to Dunkirk - first order of biz was checking out the beach. Locals assured me "on a clear day, you can see England."
IMG_0209 (3).JPG
IMG_0209 (3).JPG [ 427.11 KiB | Viewed 3787 times ]

Next order of biz was the Dunkirk museum. French Renault R-35 turret. Definitely not enough room to swing a cat!
IMG_0200 (2).JPG
IMG_0200 (2).JPG [ 1.2 MiB | Viewed 3787 times ]

Even worse was this Ft-17 turret. Guaranteed claustrophobia!
Day2b.JPG
Day2b.JPG [ 2.18 MiB | Viewed 3787 times ]

Day2f.JPG
Day2f.JPG [ 1.9 MiB | Viewed 3787 times ]

Then it was off to Pond Farm WW1 to see a WW1 tank in restoration mode. 9 man crew = 2 drivers, 2 six pounder crews, everybody else a machine gunner except the mechanic.
IMG_0211 (2).JPG
IMG_0211 (2).JPG [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 3787 times ]

Escape hatch. :-o
IMG_0222 (2).JPG
IMG_0222 (2).JPG [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 3787 times ]

Beside the tank is a 1917 truck with USA cast into the radiator shell. Owner sez it's a Ford, but I'm more inclined to say Mack.
IMG_0220 (2).JPG
IMG_0220 (2).JPG [ 1.5 MiB | Viewed 3787 times ]

The motor is a 2 cylinder with redundant ignition = magneto backing up a regular distributor. Which seems to make sense given the lack of a battery/crank start.
IMG_0220 (2).JPG
IMG_0220 (2).JPG [ 1.5 MiB | Viewed 3787 times ]

Day2g.JPG
Day2g.JPG [ 2.59 MiB | Viewed 3786 times ]

The fellow had quite a collection of UXO, fuses and weaponry of all types - all taken from his fields. I asked if he found a lot of bones, and he rolled his eyes. "Yes - those are found in the spring at plowing. My dog, Charlie happily brings them to the house."
IMG_0225 (2).JPG
IMG_0225 (2).JPG [ 1.55 MiB | Viewed 3787 times ]

I took a bunch more pics and will post again... at the moment, a nap is calling me. Urgently. ;) 8-) SW

Post subject: Re: Euro pics
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:48 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

very fun to see , your trips have got my interest going

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:43 pm 

After the day at Dunkirk and Poelcapel, we migrated to Diekirch, Luxemburg where Andrey had booked us a hotel.

Diekirch is in mountains as seen here. Didn't realize any were around - it's very close to Bastogne so I figured it was more forest and rolling hills.
IMG_0233 (2).JPG
IMG_0233 (2).JPG [ 1.94 MiB | Viewed 3766 times ]

Light rain this morning and a very pleasant aroma from wet pines. The place really puts me in mind of Estes Park, Colo.
IMG_0235 (2).JPG
IMG_0235 (2).JPG [ 1.95 MiB | Viewed 3766 times ]

Hit 2 museums in Lux.
IMG_0231 (2).JPG
IMG_0231 (2).JPG [ 1.62 MiB | Viewed 3766 times ]

IMG_0232 (2).JPG
IMG_0232 (2).JPG [ 1.66 MiB | Viewed 3766 times ]

I probably shouldn't say it, but there's rather a 'sameness' to WW2 museums - same kit displayed in life size dioramas. But it's all interesting. Not much for dioramas in the Patton museum.

Stayed the night and rolled out early to the militaria expo in Ciney, Belgium... after the mandatory continental breakfast, of course! The brown food is liver pate' loaf.
IMG_0229 (2).JPG
IMG_0229 (2).JPG [ 941.96 KiB | Viewed 3766 times ]

For non-militaria buffs, the expo might not be all that interesting. This table is fairly typical - swords & German kit. I'll see if there's a youtube vid & post that.
Day3d.JPG
Day3d.JPG [ 2 MiB | Viewed 3766 times ]

If you couldn't get interested in swords and possibly bogus WW2 German kit, there were a LOT of options food-wise. This piggy sammich place smelled so good, there was no way I could walk by without trying one.
IMG_0245 (2).JPG
IMG_0245 (2).JPG [ 1.54 MiB | Viewed 3766 times ]

I speak no French but was able to muddle my way through the menu. I went with "le cheese" with BBQ sauce and it was pretty darn tasty! Oddly, the most popular condiment for piggy sammiches was honey, and they laid it on thick.
IMG_0243 (2).JPG
IMG_0243 (2).JPG [ 1.68 MiB | Viewed 3766 times ]

Prices seemed high. My pals said they were about 10x higher than the last expo in Oct. All I grabbed was a French colonial medal I didn't already have (Morocco) and a Russian saber which is being mailed.

But it was a great opportunity to see obscure items. Need tracks for your Soviet T-34? You want 'em - they got 'em!

Your useless trivia for the day - official language in Lux is French and German - also a dialect of German my Hungarian pal said is close to the German spoken in Switzerland. "Luxumbergian"
I'll add to this as I sort through more stuff in my hard drive.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:55 pm 

This is an older vid of the expo - the 2022 vid was mostly one vendor bragging up the stuff he was selling. SW

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:37 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Shaping up to be quite a trip!

Will be watching here. 8-)

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

"Oh Yeah!.....All Right!" -Paul Simon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:54 am 

Looking through the SD card, I didn't find anything else of great interest. Mostly pics of friends at various places and shots from museums like this 24 cylinder engine from a Brit Typhoon recovered near Dunkirk.
IMG_0203.JPG
IMG_0203.JPG [ 2.34 MiB | Viewed 3749 times ]

I stayed at a B&B across the canal from the train station in Halle which was very convenient. I liked to watch barges. The RR here seems to be 95% passenger and very little freight. Most commodities move by barge like the crushed cars here. Many barge owners actually live on them and have a car they can either drive off on ramps or hoist ashore with a boom.
IMG_0247 (2).JPG
IMG_0247 (2).JPG [ 798.14 KiB | Viewed 3749 times ]

IMG_0251 (2).JPG
IMG_0251 (2).JPG [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 3749 times ]

So that's pretty much it for pics. SW

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:20 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Your camera seems to be doing well in most daylight situations.
The barge photo's are very good indeed for an almost pocket sized camera.

There's a G-11 sitting at one of my enablers I should at least get a look at...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:50 pm 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Great Pic's Bud, glad you had good safe trip.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 7:48 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

great fun seeing these , one day it would be fun - just need the time , whoever said retirement afforded you time to do things you wanted to do was lying , it aint so ,

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:03 pm 
The Butcher
The Butcher

All four of us had a great time. It was good to be on the road again with friends. Good memories ....
A

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:07 pm 
The Butcher
The Butcher

I'll ask Sean (my son) to download the pics from my cellphone. Might be a couple there worth posting. We were lucky with the weather, no rain at all. Weird .... Thx to Frederik's wife we had comfortable transport (she got the Porche that weekend and we got the Toyota Landcruiser) A good time was had by all. A

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:33 pm 
Major
Major

That Typhoon had a powerful Napier Sabre sleeve valve engine.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:56 pm 

A few more taken by Andrey.

Life size diorama with original kit.
Lux1.jpg
Lux1.jpg [ 212.4 KiB | Viewed 3506 times ]

Another - both are in the main museum in Diekirch, Lux.
lux2.jpg
lux2.jpg [ 341.03 KiB | Viewed 3506 times ]

Brit tank in resto mode at the farm near Poelcapel, Belgium. Pic includes a tourist for
size comparison. (looks a lot like me)
lux3.jpg
lux3.jpg [ 310.86 KiB | Viewed 3506 times ]

Head-on view of the tank. Me and the fellow restoring it. Andrey sez the tank is being taken to England this summer for temporary display. Owner sez he'll have it running and clanking around by then.
alien book 3 (2).jpg
alien book 3 (2).jpg [ 159.82 KiB | Viewed 3506 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:02 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

For a quick trip, you sure packed a bit of "go and see" into it.

Interesting pics!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:37 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

i was thinking the same thing - no sleep involved i guess , great coverage , thanks for sharing with us